Ida B: . . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun,…

by Katherine Hannigan

Member:thebluestockings
Title:Ida B: . . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World
Authors:Katherine Hannigan
Info:Publisher Unknown
Collections:Ebooks
Tags:Ebook, Middle Grade

Ida B: . . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World by Katherine Hannigan (2004)

Ida B lives a comfortable, home-schooled life on a farm with lots of land, until her mother starts a battle with cancer.
A sweet little story that does a nice job describing childhood anxieties and coping reactions when a loved one gets sick and life changes. ( )
  electrascaife | Jun 1, 2017 |
Ida B. is a precocious, imaginative, 9-year-old, living the “Righter than Right” life, homeschooled, on her parents farm. But when Bad Things happen, she is sent to school. Feeling betrayed by her parents, Ida B. shuts herself off from others, stuffing her heart “behind her left knee” and refusing to let anyone in – not Mrs. W, her new teacher, not Ronnie , a classmate, or Claire, a girl who offers her friendship, or even the brook or the trees or the mountain she called friends.
Told in simple, lyrical prose, Hannigan lets us walk with Ida B. as she struggles with a heart “going hard and black” as Ida B. puts it. Despite Ida B.’s age, it was easy to identify with her. Every one of us has been in a place of hurt and confusion, were it feels easier to lock away our heart, to be mean, to push others away, then to face the hurt and forgive. Hannigan does an exceptional job of captureing that experience exactly and leading Ida B. (and the reader) to the only true conclusion.
My only qualm with this book is Ida B. is rather self-aware for a fourth-grader. Smart, yes, and well-read, and given plenty of time to think might do it, but it still felt as if an adult inhabitant that small frame.
This is an excellent book for kids dealing with life-changing events in their family, or who struggle with forgiveness (both forgiving others and asking for it). This is a sweet, easy-to-read book that handles a complex subject well. Worth Reading. ( )
  empress8411 | May 4, 2017 |
I loved reading this book, it’s one of my favorite chapter books. The first reason I enjoyed it was for the way it was told in first person and the strong character presented. Ida B Applewood, the narrator of the story has such a strong, brutally honest, stubborn personality and explains her innermost feelings with the readers. For example, the quote “Apologizing is like spring cleaning.” I really got to know the character through her narration; the book wouldn’t be the same without her telling the story. Another reason I enjoyed this book was for the plot in general. This story was extremely relatable to any person going through a difficult time. It deeply explains the thoughts and feelings that go through people in this situation. However, what I loved most about the plot was the impact Ida’s fourth grade teacher made on her. Her teacher inspired her to want to love the world again and you don’t have to be so bitter about not getting your way. For example, Ida B’s teacher would always ask her, “Ida is there anything you want to talk about today?” That made a big impact on me to want to be a good teacher always, because it affects your students. The theme or big idea of this story is to always be kind, regardless of what’s happening in your life. ( )
  CourtneyDoyle | Mar 29, 2017 |
In my opinion this is a great book. Two reasons I like this book are the characters and the story line. I found that the characters were easy to relate to and that the characters felt like they were real people. The story-line reminded me of a situation I have gone through in my life and the way it was projected into the book made it seem real. When they were describing how Ida's mom was always tired and she was sick after her treatments I was actually able to picture her laying there with a bald head and looking weak. Ida is the main character in the book and she depicted how children often react to situations like their parents having cancer. I could relate to her on a personal level when she said "my heart was a sharp, black stone that was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. It was so hard nobody could break it and so sharp it would hurt anybody who touched it." Not being in control of your own life is painful, especially for children, and I don't think I've ever heard it described to well before. The big idea of this book was that though you may be going through a rough patch, that isn't an excuse to shut anyone out or be rude to anyone. In the end you'll be the one that's hurting and having to apologize and fix the things that you've done. ( )
  vfromm1 | Mar 28, 2017 |
I really liked this book! This book is about a little girl whose mom gets breast cancer and she ends up losing certain things in her life that she loves, and she goes through a dark phase. She is trying to find her way on her own. Sometimes you have to give things up you love, for someone you love. One of the reasons why I like this book is because of the writing style. It's very engaging to me because I don't really think of tress that can talk so when I read this book, it was interesting to see Ida B's conversation with these trees. For example, "Hey, what's going on?", I yelled... Finally I heard Gertrude whisper, "You tell her Viola"... "All right," Viola whispered back..." It's just interesting to read, because you usually don't talk to trees in real life. I also really liked Ida B as a character. She really was acting like a child throughout this book. She was very believable. For example in the story her dad tells her they will have to sell some land in order to pay for her mothers chemotherapy. Well some of that land had her favorite trees on it, Ida B then went into shut down mode. She would keep talking to a minimum. For example "So I just said, "Not now Ronnie."" She really made me believe her as a character, because she stuck with being a child, and not realizing how important that chemo could be for her mother. ( )
  mwolf11 | Mar 27, 2017 |
For the hills and the trees, the wind, the rivers, and the stars. And for Victor. Always-- K. H.
"Ida B," Mama said to me on one of those days that start right and just keep heading toward perfect until you go to sleep, "when you're done with the dishes, you can go and play."
It (my brain) thought about that magic that happens when you tell a story right, and everybody who hears it not only loves the story, but they love you a little bit ,too, for telling it so well.

Ida B. Applewood believes there is never enough time for fun.

That's why she's so happy to be homeschooled and to spend every free second outside with the trees and the brook.

Then some not-so-great things happen in her world. Ida B has to go back to that Place of Slow but Sure Body-Cramping, Mind-Numbing, Fun-Killing Torture—school. She feels her heart getting smaller and smaller and hardening into a sharp, black stone.

How can things go from righter than right to a million miles beyond wrong? Can Ida B put together a plan to get things back to just-about perfect again?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

Fourth-grader Ida B spends happy hours being home-schooled and playing in her family's apple orchard, until circumstances force her parents to sell part of the orchard and send her to public school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,225,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible