Mystic and Rider (The Twelve Houses, Book 1)…

Mystic and Rider (The Twelve Houses, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Sharon Shinn

Member:cozyread
Title:Mystic and Rider (The Twelve Houses, Book 1)
Authors:Sharon Shinn
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 421 pages

Mystic and Rider by Sharon Shinn (2005)

Recently added byAltheaAnn, mcclar, GanneC, jjones360, keindi, private library, agille37, zedille, Cora-R

Love the series. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
A fairly traditional fantasy tale, with strong female characters and a sweet love story between two older characters. I will definitely continue to listen to the books in this series. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
It’s been a while since I read a Shinn book; this one had a lot of plot and a subsidiary romance between a mystic—a person with magical powers, here to control fire—and a King’s Rider, a soldier assigned to guard her. Senneth is a mysterious emissary from the king, sent to poke around the country and figure out whether the king is in danger; along with Rider Tayse, she assembles certain other companions and they investigate the religious, anti-mystic fervor sweeping half the country. I quite enjoyed it. ( )
  rivkat | Oct 22, 2015 |
Mystic and Rider is an outstanding fantasy with a strong romantic subplot. The worldbuilding and the political intrigue is complex and nuanced without ever being boring. The story itself is very character driven; the camaraderie and relationships between the characters are the major highlight. Overall, it’s very well done. I would be interested to read more in this series, especially if we get to see more of Senneth and Tayse. This novel is clearly just the first installment in a broader story arc. ( )
  les121 | Sep 22, 2014 |
From the cover blurb: “Gillengaria seethes with unrest. In the south, hostility toward magic and its users has risen to a dangerous level, though King Baryn has ordered that such mystics are to be tolerated… The King knows there are those in the noble Twelve Houses who could use this growing dissent to overthrow him. So he dispatches the mystic Senneth to assess the threat throughout the realm. Accompanying her is a motley band of magic-users and warriors including Tayse, first among the King’s Riders—who holds a hard view of mystics in general, and Senneth in particular.”

Like the other Sharon Shinn books I’ve read, Mystic and Rider is most certainly character based. There wasn’t a whole lot of suspense or action; instead, it was the enjoyable characters who made me keep picking up this book.

The “motley band” that makes up the center of this book is composed of six distinct characters: Senneth, Tayse, Kirra, Donnal, Justin and Cammon.

Senneth is the “Mystic” of the title. She has a mysterious and difficult past and possesses powers that relate to fire and the sun. She’s cool headed and collected, but also possesses a fierce passion to do the right thing and to protect the defenseless, even if it endangers herself and her mission. She’s handy with a sword and not someone you’d want to mess with in a fight. She’s also one of the better female characters I’ve read and my favorite written by Sharon Shinn.

Tayse is the “Rider” of the title. As the cover blurb says, he distrusts mystics, particularly Senneth because he sees her as not having any fixed allegiances. Over the course of the book, he starts to reconsider his world view and his attitude towards mystics.

I liked that Senneth was not the only female character of the band – there was also Kirra. And not only that, but Kirra was so different from Senneth. She’s the sort of character who is not often seen as a protagonist in fantasy novels or well created if she is. Namely, Kirra is much more traditionally feminine. She’s outgoing and beautiful and never picks up a sword in the course of the book, but she’s far from useless or helpless. Often times she is the one who gathers important information or soothes the group’s way through her charm and noble connections. Plus, she’s a talented mystic with the powers of shapeshifting and healing. Underestimate her at your peril.

I felt Donnal to be the least well developed of the characters. He’s a shapeshifter who’s devoted to Kirra, but I never got much of a sense of his personality.

Justin was the other King’s Rider of the group. From the outset, he doesn’t trust any of the others besides Tayse and is openly disdainful and fearful of some of them. But over the course of the story, he grows to befriend and admire the mystics he travels with.

The others picked up Cammon in the first chapter of the book. He’s a “sensitive,” or a mystic with the abilities of picking up the emotions and desires of the people and animals around him.

As the title makes clear, Senneth and Tayse are at the center of the story. As is also obvious to anyone familiar with Sharon Shinn’s work, their romance and relationship slowly develops throughout the narrative. She’s one of those authors that I can always rely upon not to write stories where the main characters fall immediately and inexplicably in love at first sight.

The magic system is also noteworthy. While I don’t want to spoil the revelations of later in the book, it’s an interesting set up that I hope will be explored more later in the series, because in the end, Mystic and Rider did feel like the first in a series. This chapter of the plot may be closed, but plenty has yet to be discovered and questions are still up in the air.

I would recommend this book to people looking for a slower paced fantasy story with likable characters. It may not have the shades of grey and grit that seems to be infusing the fantasy genera lately, but it’s still a wonderful book with merits of it’s own. That being said, if action and an addicting plot are what you look for, you’d be best off seeking elsewhere. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 11, 2014 |
For two women, sisters to each other,
who touched my life profoundly:

Cissy, still the best teacher I ever had, and
Mary Anne, who took care of me when I was far from home.

There are all kinds of magic.
Kardon stood at the back of the tavern, surveying the night's clientele, and smiled with a brutal satisfaction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013031, Mass Market Paperback)

Gillengaria seethes with unrest. In the south, hostility toward magic and its users has risen to a dangerous level, though King Baryn has ordered that such mystics are to be tolerated. It is whispered that he issued the decree because his new wife used her magic powers to ensnare him…

But as the unlikely allies venture farther into the south, they will face death in a land under the sway of a fanatical cult that would purge Gillengaria of all magic users. And they will come to realize that their only hope of survival lies in standing together…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

The Mystic woman Senneth, accompanied by a team of Shapeshifters and Riders, is sent by the king into the land of Gillengaria to investigate reports of retaliation against those who use magic.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible