Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Once Upon a Marigold 1st (first) edition by…

Once Upon a Marigold 1st (first) edition by Jean Ferris published by… (original 2004; edition 2003)

Series: Marigold (1)

A young man with a mysterious past and a penchant for inventing things leaves the troll who raised him, meets an unhappy princess he has loved from afar, and discovers a plot against her and her father.
Member:Karra.MCDS
Title:Once Upon a Marigold 1st (first) edition by Jean Ferris published by Scholastic (2003) [Paperback]
Authors:
Info:Scholastic (2003), Unknown Binding
Rating:****1/2

Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris (2004)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Christian has been brought up in a cave by Edric the troll, who discovered Chris hiding in the forest. Now Chris is in love with the princess Marigold, with whom he has exchanged letters carried by pigeon but has never met. The cover claims this is “part comedy, part love story, part everything-but-the-kitchen-sink”, which could be considered to be rather misleading. However, I suspect the book would appeal to readers attracted by the cover’s children’s-fantasy vibe who think “part everything-but-the-kitchen-sink” is funny.

If I had discovered this in 2002 when it was first published, I suspect I’d have been delighted by its gentle, whimsical, almost-fairytale-ness. These days I tend to want more complexity and more emotion and, often, more critical engagement with the genre’s tropes. But the audiobook was still pleasant company while I did a few hours of housework. ( )
  Herenya | Jun 17, 2020 |
This was my favorite book growing up and re-reading it as an adult, getting to read it with fresh eyes, made me remember why. ( )
  JulianaMD | Jun 1, 2020 |
It took me a little bit to get into this one but after I did I really liked it. I wasn't sure if I liked or didn't like the social/political undertones in this book because it was a book for younger kids, but it was a really well told fairy tale. I liked that it didn't stick to any preexisting fairy tale so it kept me guessing through the book as to what would happen next. I also like that it seemed to happen simultaneously with the other princesses. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Quirky and adorable is how I would describe this one. Possibly more Shrek than The Princess Bride. I found this to be a fun, entertaining read. I enjoyed how Ferris takes the fairy tale basics – an evil stepmother, a doting father, three older sisters, a hero with a mysterious past and a curmudgeon troll with a heart of gold – and put her own spin on things. I loved the p-mail (correspondence via carrier pigeon), the way in which Ed the troll misquotes a lot of familiar sayings and has an axe to grind with the tooth fairy (who seems to be having a lot of difficulties overseeing the gathering of teeth and the remittance of coin). While somewhat predictable – given the fairy tale formula being utilized – I still enjoyed following the characters as Christian and Marigold’s friendship grows into a romance along with Queen Olympia’s determination to marry Marigold off and get her out of the way in Olympia’s quest to rule the kingdom.

A fun, light, entertaining read for children... and adults like me. ( )
  lkernagh | Oct 19, 2017 |
For A. G. F., my prince charming
Edric knew he should head for home.
As wonderful as dogs can be, they are famous for missing the point.

Nobody ever gets enough appreciation when they're behaving themselves, but there's no end to hearing about it when they're not.
Secrets have a way of making themselves felt, even before you know there's a secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,629,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible