Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
A fun adventure yarn that isn't afraid to go to dark places. Also weirdly funny in parts. I wish I'd read this series when I was a bit younger. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Excellent sequel - new environment and characters while not ignoring the world developed in the first book. Unintended consequences rear their head, drawing a clear cause and effect that unfortunately can be missing in some serial adventure novels. Only gripe is... I wish we had seen one more very specific death near the end to help change the primary dynamic going into book three. ( )
  sarcher | Feb 10, 2019 |
In this installment of the Mortal Engines Series Tom and Hester find themselves in the presence of well known Professor Pennyroyal whom has written several books about his travels and discoveries. They find themselves on the ice city of Anchorage run by a last heir of their royalty, a teenage girl that fancies Tom when he arrives.

This book put my emotions all over the place. It’s just a fun adventure series I really wish I knew about when I was younger. I can’t gush enough about this series and the protagonists just sound and act exactly like teenagers. I can’t wait to continue. ( )
  Jessika.C | Oct 30, 2018 |
This series is great. A unique dystopian novel. Roving cities on wheels. A ruined America. Giant flying ships and submarine crews run by a cast of Dickens rejects. YA at its best. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Following the destruction of London, Tom and Hester travel the Bird Roads in the airship Jenny Haniver and eventually take on a passenger, Professor Nimrod Pennyroyal. Forced to flee from the military faction of the Anti-Tractionist League, the Green Storm, they make an emergency landing on the ice city of Anchorage. Following a betrayal, Anchorage must flee from the jaws of predatory Arkangel, making its way across the Ice Wastes to the Dead Continent.

Set some time after the events in Mortal Engines, the narrative in this, the second volume of the series, continues with Hester and Tom but also adds a few new faces, cities and other engines, and other memorable set pieces to the mix. Compared to the frenetic, break-neck pace of the first volume, the first few chapters could feel almost pedestrian, if it weren’t for the fact that almost from the beginning the tension is gradually increased and the reader knows that the plot is building up to a much-anticipated climax. A greater emphasis is placed on character development and the ethical boundaries between good and bad are considerably more blurred, as both Traction Cities and the Anti-Tractionist League engage in morally highly dubious acts.

As the main plot points of the first volume are occasionally referred to in a way that fits neatly into the plot, Predator’s Gold could in theory serve as the entry point to the series, or possibly even a stand-alone book, but I wouldn’t recommend it; the series definitely needs to be seen as a continuous narrative to fully appreciate the inventiveness, epic scope and character progressions. ( )
  passion4reading | Apr 21, 2017 |
For Sarah and Sam
For Sarah and Sam
Freya woke early and lay for a while in the dark, feeling her city shiver and sway beneath her as its powerful engines sent it skimming across the ice.

Betrayed, Anchorage
flees from the predatory ice
city Arkangel.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060721960, Paperback)

"Predator's Gold" is the second thrilling instalment in Philip Reeve's brilliantly-imagined creation, the world of the Traction Era, where mobile cities fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic future. When Tom and Hester's scrapyard aircraft is pursued by rocket-firing gunships, they seek sanctuary in the speeding ice city of Anchorage. But it is no safe refuge. Devastated by plague and haunted by ghosts, Anchorage is heading for the Dead Continent...'Big, brave, brilliant' - "Guardian". Philip Reeve has won the CILIP Carnegie Medal, the "Guardian" Children's Fiction Prize, the Nestle Children's Book Prize and the Blue Peter Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, Tom and Hester hope that the ice city of Anchorage will reach the rumored haven of the Dead Continent--America--before the savage Hunstmen of Arkangel find them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,390,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible