Predator's Gold (The Hungry City…

Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Philip Reeve

Member:Faerylover93
Title:Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles)
Authors:Philip Reeve
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Sci-Fiction

Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (2003)

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
I have some mixed feelings about this book.

The plot is very interesting, with lots of twists and turns that all somehow come back together. I suppose I fell a bit in love with Anchorage just like Tom, because I got very interested in the people and the city itself. By the end of the book, I was quite, quite pleased at how they'd all turned out.

I do like Hester, and I do like Tom. I even like Freya sometimes. But they all made me incredibly furious in this book. I just can't believe how stupid all three of them acted. They almost ruined the story for me, but somehow it all just came together at the end and it was all okay. I'm still a little dubious about Hester, though... but I suppose we shall see. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 5, 2014 |
A action packed adventure that is a sequal to the mortal engines book. There is still many adventures but things are a little different. the book is still has the main charecters. the book is action packed and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

London is long gone now Tom travals the skys. While in airhaven they pick up a pasenger but during the trip they are nearly shot down. After riding the air currents adrift they take refuge on a city in the ice feilds. This city Anchorage is traveling to the dead continet, will they make it? And will they find what they are looking for? ( )
  jamesd.b1 | May 29, 2014 |
This is the second Philip Reeve story I've enjoyed. Like 'Mortal Engines', it is set in a dystopian world where people live their lives on gigantic, city-sized vehicles (referred to as cities, suburbs) which roam the world and are sometimes 'eaten' by predator 'cities'.

This world order is opposed by the Anti-traction League...

The characters featured in Mortal Engines appear in Predator's Gold, and Tom and Hester's troubled adventures begin when they unexpectedly agree to give passage aboard their airship, the 'Jenny Haniver', to the importunate celebrity explorer and author, "Nimrod Pennyroyal".

Once underway, the Jenny Haniver is attacked by airships of "The Green Storm", a militant splinter-group of the Anti-traction League. Now virtually unsteerable, the Jenny Haniver escapes the encounter and drifts out across the ice wastes, where luckily it happens across a small Ice City called Anchorage.

Aboard Anchorage Tom, Hester and Pennyroyal, discover the city's small population are survivors of the "Sixty Minute War", and a plague. They are taken to meet the city's Margravine, Freya Rasmussen, who is fascinated by Nimrod Pennyroyal's book: "America the Beautiful", a supposed personal account of Pennyroyal's own expedition to explore the Dead Continent of America. Inspired by Pennyroyal's description of a dead continent, which is very much alive, Freya Rasmussen orders Anchorage to set course for America... and a colourful catalogue of unforseen disasters.

Highly original with beautifully drawn characters, with feasts of graphical and fast-moving battle and fight scenes, this five star book had me riveted from start to finish. I will certainly read its sequel... ( )
  Stuart_Taylor | May 19, 2014 |
Tom Natsworth and Hester Shaw's adventures continue, as they are caught up in a swirl of treacherous manoeuverings following the events of Mortal Engines. Caught up in the hunt to destroy the traction city of Anchorage, they stumble upon a plot by the Anti-Traction League's Green Storm unit to resurrect Anna Fang as a Stalker. Along the way, they meet the thieving Lost Boys, the duplicitous historian Pennyroyal, and the last surviving member of the Rasmussen clan of Anchorage, Freya, the Margravine. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Dec 10, 2013 |
The sequel to Mortal Engines a book which didn't really need a sequel, IMO, but still Predator's Gold does not disappoint. And it is rather a nifty world.

For the unintiated, these stories are set in a post-nuclear Europe. The landscape has long been rendered uninhabitable and America all but destroyed in the 60 minute war. Cities are now mobile structures (traction cities) that travel around the landscape and canabilise smaller cities, hamlets and villages. Yes, you have predator suburbs, scavengers, pirate airships and other such coolnesses. Yes, I realise now that I may have derived the term "scavengers" from here as well, but I have always listed "Mortal Engines" in my inspiration list (and what a long list it was).

Anyhow, Mortal Engines begins the adventures of young Tom, historian, as he is snatched from his moderately comfortable life in the traction city of London by the horrifically scarred Hester and Predator's Gold continues their tale. After the wake of the MEDUSA disaster, they have now found themselves aboard the winter city of Anchorage, half its inhabitants dead of the plague or fled, bound on a dangerous journey to the dead continent following the findings of a bumbling historian. And danger, of course, is close on their tails, as the great predator city of Arkangel hunts it across the frozen wastelands.

I would hope this would be the last one, but now I think about it, there is definite hints at a sequel where the anti-traction league will likely face off against the traction cities with the aid of the terrible Stalkers. I just hope poor Tom and Hester get a bit of a break.

These books are something a little bit different - cyberpunk I suppose might be an appropriate term, and definitely quirky - good for someone who likes a truly original, fun but tense, read. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
For Sarah and Sam
Freya woke early and lay for a while in the dark, feeling her city shiver and sway beneath her as its powerful engines sent it skimming across the ice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060721960, Paperback)

"Predator's Gold" is the second thrilling instalment in Philip Reeve's brilliantly-imagined creation, the world of the Traction Era, where mobile cities fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic future. When Tom and Hester's scrapyard aircraft is pursued by rocket-firing gunships, they seek sanctuary in the speeding ice city of Anchorage. But it is no safe refuge. Devastated by plague and haunted by ghosts, Anchorage is heading for the Dead Continent...'Big, brave, brilliant' - "Guardian". Philip Reeve has won the CILIP Carnegie Medal, the "Guardian" Children's Fiction Prize, the Nestle Children's Book Prize and the Blue Peter Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:37 -0400)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, Tom and Hester hope that the ice city of Anchorage will reach the rumored haven of the Dead Continent--America--before the savage Hunstmen of Arkangel find them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,468,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible