Predator's Gold (The Hungry City…

Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Philip Reeve

7591912,224 (4.12)47
Member:Faerylover93
Title:Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles)
Authors:Philip Reeve
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Sci-Fiction

Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (2003)

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All languages (19)
Tom and Hester's adventures continue in book 2 two years later, when the airship they "inherited" from Anna Fang, is spotted and they get caught up in a plot of a radical splinter group of the Anti-Traction League. They end up on a traction city that is heading toward old North America where there are rumours of "living land." Things go horribly wrong, however, when Tom is attracted to the city's leader -- Hester makes a big mistake and then has to try and fix it. I'm very impressed with how well Reeve balances a ripping good yarn with plenty of rough stuff but rough stuff that feels integral enough to the story, not gratuitous, along with lots of character development, humor, and action all of it within a YA context. Reeve stays within the "tropes," of the post-apocalyptic but romantic setting (by that I mean many things go unexplained, where they grow the grapes for wine, where they have the sheep for sheepskin coats--those things are necessary texture and part of the fun of the story). The next two volumes have arrived from inter-library loan and I'll be plunging onward! **** ( )
  sibyx | May 22, 2016 |
After nuclear war devastated the earth, the old ways of living became untenable. Now humans live in roving enclaves, preying on each other for scarce resources and the few remnants of ancient tech left over from the old world. Scrappy urchin Hester and trainee-historian Tom try to make a decent living flying cargo in their stolen airship until their imaginations are excited by an adventurer's tales of finding greenery in North America.

I love the characters in this series: Hester, who is pragmatic and ruthless in a way no other character quite understands; Tom, whose kind instincts and belief in fairness both get him into danger and inspire others; and a new favorite, the margravine Freya. The setting immediately captured my imagination in the first book in the Mortal Engine series, and this book develops it further. Predatory moving cities with their suburbs and airships scouting across a blasted landscape for prey! Secret bases drilled into cliffsides! Palaces balanced atop caterpillar treads! I loved the way life feels precarious in this world, as though one wrong decision or mechanical mishap means slavery or death. The stakes feel very high, especially because I loved the main characters so much.

Action packed, but with loads of great character moments in a fascinating steampunk future. The writing has a feel of the Golden Compass series--not typical YA, but not adult, either. Definitely worth checking out if that sounds to your taste! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I have some mixed feelings about this book.

The plot is very interesting, with lots of twists and turns that all somehow come back together. I suppose I fell a bit in love with Anchorage just like Tom, because I got very interested in the people and the city itself. By the end of the book, I was quite, quite pleased at how they'd all turned out.

I do like Hester, and I do like Tom. I even like Freya sometimes. But they all made me incredibly furious in this book. I just can't believe how stupid all three of them acted. They almost ruined the story for me, but somehow it all just came together at the end and it was all okay. I'm still a little dubious about Hester, though... but I suppose we shall see. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 5, 2014 |
A action packed adventure that is a sequal to the mortal engines book. There is still many adventures but things are a little different. the book is still has the main charecters. the book is action packed and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

London is long gone now Tom travals the skys. While in airhaven they pick up a pasenger but during the trip they are nearly shot down. After riding the air currents adrift they take refuge on a city in the ice feilds. This city Anchorage is traveling to the dead continet, will they make it? And will they find what they are looking for? ( )
  jamesd.b1 | May 29, 2014 |
This is the second Philip Reeve story I've enjoyed. Like 'Mortal Engines', it is set in a dystopian world where people live their lives on gigantic, city-sized vehicles (referred to as cities, suburbs) which roam the world and are sometimes 'eaten' by predator 'cities'.

This world order is opposed by the Anti-traction League...

The characters featured in Mortal Engines appear in Predator's Gold, and Tom and Hester's troubled adventures begin when they unexpectedly agree to give passage aboard their airship, the 'Jenny Haniver', to the importunate celebrity explorer and author, "Nimrod Pennyroyal".

Once underway, the Jenny Haniver is attacked by airships of "The Green Storm", a militant splinter-group of the Anti-traction League. Now virtually unsteerable, the Jenny Haniver escapes the encounter and drifts out across the ice wastes, where luckily it happens across a small Ice City called Anchorage.

Aboard Anchorage Tom, Hester and Pennyroyal, discover the city's small population are survivors of the "Sixty Minute War", and a plague. They are taken to meet the city's Margravine, Freya Rasmussen, who is fascinated by Nimrod Pennyroyal's book: "America the Beautiful", a supposed personal account of Pennyroyal's own expedition to explore the Dead Continent of America. Inspired by Pennyroyal's description of a dead continent, which is very much alive, Freya Rasmussen orders Anchorage to set course for America... and a colourful catalogue of unforseen disasters.

Highly original with beautifully drawn characters, with feasts of graphical and fast-moving battle and fight scenes, this five star book had me riveted from start to finish. I will certainly read its sequel... ( )
  Stuart_Taylor | May 19, 2014 |
For Sarah and Sam
Freya woke early and lay for a while in the dark, feeling her city shiver and sway beneath her as its powerful engines sent it skimming across the ice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060721960, Paperback)

"Predator's Gold" is the second thrilling instalment in Philip Reeve's brilliantly-imagined creation, the world of the Traction Era, where mobile cities fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic future. When Tom and Hester's scrapyard aircraft is pursued by rocket-firing gunships, they seek sanctuary in the speeding ice city of Anchorage. But it is no safe refuge. Devastated by plague and haunted by ghosts, Anchorage is heading for the Dead Continent...'Big, brave, brilliant' - "Guardian". Philip Reeve has won the CILIP Carnegie Medal, the "Guardian" Children's Fiction Prize, the Nestle Children's Book Prize and the Blue Peter Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, Tom and Hester hope that the ice city of Anchorage will reach the rumored haven of the Dead Continent--America--before the savage Hunstmen of Arkangel find them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,852,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible