Predator's Gold (The Hungry City…

Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Philip Reeve

Title:Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles)
Authors:Philip Reeve
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Paperback, 416 pages

Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve (2003)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
The adventures of Hester and Tom continue...
If you enjoyed the fist book of the series (as I did), you'll want to read this one. Our heroes find themselves in Anchorage. It is a relatively small and peaceful mobile city traveling across the ice in search or refuge from predator cities that want to consume it. The pacing is good. The characters are likable. The situations make sense in the setting. My one peeve is an aspect of the prose, which grated on me. Ran and ran. Up and up. Closer and closer. Over and over.... Things of that nature. The author shouldn't have done it and the editor shouldn't have permitted it. Even for a YA book, repeating a word separated by 'and' sounds juvenile. It's sloppy. One 'ran' will do. Saying 'ran and ran' adds nothing.

That said, I will read the next one. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
Tom and Hester's adventures continue in book 2 two years later, when the airship they "inherited" from Anna Fang, is spotted and they get caught up in a plot of a radical splinter group of the Anti-Traction League. They end up on a traction city that is heading toward old North America where there are rumours of "living land." Things go horribly wrong, however, when Tom is attracted to the city's leader -- Hester makes a big mistake and then has to try and fix it. I'm very impressed with how well Reeve balances a ripping good yarn with plenty of rough stuff but rough stuff that feels integral enough to the story, not gratuitous, along with lots of character development, humor, and action all of it within a YA context. Reeve stays within the "tropes," of the post-apocalyptic but romantic setting (by that I mean many things go unexplained, where they grow the grapes for wine, where they have the sheep for sheepskin coats--those things are necessary texture and part of the fun of the story). The next two volumes have arrived from inter-library loan and I'll be plunging onward! **** ( )
  sibyx | May 22, 2016 |
After nuclear war devastated the earth, the old ways of living became untenable. Now humans live in roving enclaves, preying on each other for scarce resources and the few remnants of ancient tech left over from the old world. Scrappy urchin Hester and trainee-historian Tom try to make a decent living flying cargo in their stolen airship until their imaginations are excited by an adventurer's tales of finding greenery in North America.

I love the characters in this series: Hester, who is pragmatic and ruthless in a way no other character quite understands; Tom, whose kind instincts and belief in fairness both get him into danger and inspire others; and a new favorite, the margravine Freya. The setting immediately captured my imagination in the first book in the Mortal Engine series, and this book develops it further. Predatory moving cities with their suburbs and airships scouting across a blasted landscape for prey! Secret bases drilled into cliffsides! Palaces balanced atop caterpillar treads! I loved the way life feels precarious in this world, as though one wrong decision or mechanical mishap means slavery or death. The stakes feel very high, especially because I loved the main characters so much.

Action packed, but with loads of great character moments in a fascinating steampunk future. The writing has a feel of the Golden Compass series--not typical YA, but not adult, either. Definitely worth checking out if that sounds to your taste! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I have some mixed feelings about this book.

The plot is very interesting, with lots of twists and turns that all somehow come back together. I suppose I fell a bit in love with Anchorage just like Tom, because I got very interested in the people and the city itself. By the end of the book, I was quite, quite pleased at how they'd all turned out.

I do like Hester, and I do like Tom. I even like Freya sometimes. But they all made me incredibly furious in this book. I just can't believe how stupid all three of them acted. They almost ruined the story for me, but somehow it all just came together at the end and it was all okay. I'm still a little dubious about Hester, though... but I suppose we shall see. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 5, 2014 |
For Sarah and Sam
Freya woke early and lay for a while in the dark, feeling her city shiver and sway beneath her as its powerful engines sent it skimming across the ice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060721960, Paperback)

"Predator's Gold" is the second thrilling instalment in Philip Reeve's brilliantly-imagined creation, the world of the Traction Era, where mobile cities fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic future. When Tom and Hester's scrapyard aircraft is pursued by rocket-firing gunships, they seek sanctuary in the speeding ice city of Anchorage. But it is no safe refuge. Devastated by plague and haunted by ghosts, Anchorage is heading for the Dead Continent...'Big, brave, brilliant' - "Guardian". Philip Reeve has won the CILIP Carnegie Medal, the "Guardian" Children's Fiction Prize, the Nestle Children's Book Prize and the Blue Peter Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

In the distant future, when cities move about and consume smaller towns, Tom and Hester hope that the ice city of Anchorage will reach the rumored haven of the Dead Continent--America--before the savage Hunstmen of Arkangel find them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible