Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Magyk by Angie Sage

Magyk (2005)

by Angie Sage

Series: Septimus Heap (1)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Bitter_Grace)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories have a funny irreverent approach. Dealing with Dragons is a bunch of fairy tales gone tangled as Princess Cimorene refuses to do what's proper. Magyk is full of quirky characters and writing - I love the scene where the stove is frantically trying to light itself!)… (more)
    Queste by Angie Sage (neica)
    neica: Another book in the series
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (megan003, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are set in a somewhat run-down and dreary fantasy world, but Boy 412 and Conn showed what I thought was a similar fun 'spark' in working their way through their lot. Both of these are charming magical adventures.
    Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (Anjali.Negi)
    Anjali.Negi: Both have a boy wizard, same medieval high fantasy..
    The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic by Dave Luckett (infiniteletters)
    The Mystical Beast by Alison Farthing (infiniteletters)
    Tomorrow's Wizard by Patricia MacLachlan (infiniteletters)

English (143)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (150)
Highly enjoyable (middle-grade) novel. Yes, it was written for kids but the characterization and plot reminded me of some of the best in kids lit (Harry Potter, anyone?). It's not the kind of book I'd normally picked up, but it was free for my Nook at some point and it's just been sitting there. Now I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Think B&N know what they're doing???? ;-) ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
Reread.

This one of my favorite books from my childhood! I never did finish the series, though, and I had wanted to in 2016... well, starting to is close enough, isn't it?

I love all the characters in this book--they're all sharp and fairly well-motivated. For a children's book, there's quite an array as well. The only character that truly seems undermotivated is DomDaniel, and only partly; his motivations make sense now, he's been ousted from his spot of glory, and he'll do anything to claw his way back up. I'm just not sure why he was evil to begin with.

Marcia is great, and her relationship with 412 is stellar, as is Sarah and Silas. Jenna and Nicko are wonderful as well.

The world is also really great, and intricately built. I love the magic system and the geography of the world. It's really wonderful.

I'll stop gushing now. Great series. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
To be honest, when I began this book I wasn't sure I'd like it. I am not at all a fan of spelling magic as "magyk" and I thought that sort of thing would drive me nuts. But then a wonderful thing happened: I fell into the world of this book and didn't come out until I'd finished it, hours later. The feeling of reading it reminded me of how I felt when I was a young adult (or even younger) and discovering fantasy books for the first time. I'm looking forward to curling up with a cup of hot chocolate and book two as soon as I can. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Truly a good read, no matter what age you are. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
This was a terrifically fun little story, especially in its audiobook format where I didn't need to worry about the creative spelling of words like "magyk".

Is it overly original? Heavens, no. It's a medieval style MG fantasy with a general good vs. evil plot. There's wizards and princesses and a necromancer who - as far as I can tell - never raises the dead. But it is a lot of fun, and I'm going to use that word a lot in this review because it's a fantastic descriptor of the journey through Magyk.

We have a lot of characters in this story, each one with their own role to play, even the smaller characters who always seem to end back up in the story. On the surface, this is a tale of an evil empire and a young princess in hiding... but at its heart it asks the question: what happened to Septimus Heap? We hear the story of how the infant died, the all powerful seventh son of a seventh son, but it all seems rather suspicious.

This book is a bit predictable, but in a good way, and I couldn't help but cheer when things went the way I wanted them to. I liked it. I had fun listening to it and would continue on in the series, no doubts. ( )
  Morteana | Jun 27, 2018 |

Angie Sageprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, Allansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zug, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lois, with love and thanks for all your help and encouragement - this book is for you.
Silas Heap pulled his cloak tightly around him against the snow.

The Magyk Begins Here

Septimus Heap, the seventh son of the seventh son, disappears the night he is born, pronounced dead by the midwife. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across an abandoned child in the snow -- a newborn girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take her into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:15 -0400)

After learning that she is the Princess, Jenna is whisked from her home and carried toward safety by the Extraordinary Wizard, those she always believed were her father and brother, and a young guard known only as Boy 412--pursued by agents of those who killed her mother ten years earlier.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,505,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible