Magyk by Angie Sage

Magyk (2005)

by Angie Sage

Series: Septimus Heap (1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Bitter_Grace)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories have a funny irreverent approach. Dealing with Dragons is a bunch of fairy tales gone tangled as Princess Cimorene refuses to do what's proper. Magyk is full of quirky characters and writing - I love the scene where the stove is frantically trying to light itself!)… (more)
    Queste by Angie Sage (neica)
    neica: Another book in the series
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (megan003, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are set in a somewhat run-down and dreary fantasy world, but Boy 412 and Conn showed what I thought was a similar fun 'spark' in working their way through their lot. Both of these are charming magical adventures.
    Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques (forest-mage)
    forest-mage: the same sort of adventure is there but there isnt much fighting
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (Anjali.Negi)
    Anjali.Negi: Both have a boy wizard, same medieval high fantasy..
    The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic by Dave Luckett (infiniteletters)
    The Mystical Beast by Alison Farthing (infiniteletters)
    Tomorrow's Wizard by Patricia MacLachlan (infiniteletters)

English (134)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All (141)
There's something about the seventh son of a seventh son that grabs my attention, which is just what this book did, lying in a huddle (or would that be a chapter) of books set out for others to pick up at a recent fantasy con I attended. Apparently this is the start of a series, and had the misfortune to come out during the craze involving another boy wizard, thus got kind of buried. But it's got charm of its own, and some lovely characters. (I admit to being thrown a couple of times when locations/descriptions distinctly our own world slipped in there (Roman, Sargasso Sea, etc) I'd assumed another world, or an alternate one, so it knocked the flow back a peg for me.) I also liked that this was not necessarily a story about a boy, or about a girl, but about several different young folk finding their truths and their paths.

Will pass this on to a friend who has kids in the target age range. ( )
  bookczuk | May 3, 2017 |
This was an excellent recorded version of the children's fantasy novel, the first in a series of seven books. The narrator was perfect and used different voices for many of the different characters. There was even music at the beginning and the end of of each CD. The copyright date for the book is 2008 and that means that Listening Library was still learning how to do recorded books. Even so it was a great production that helped the miles go by faster. This is the kind of book that parents and kids would enjoy on road trips that are for long distances. It will keep both age groups entertained for hours. ( )
  benitastrnad | Mar 27, 2017 |
Septimus Heap Series, #1...

My 9 year old son and I listened to the audio version in the car. It was really good- a lot of fun! He got wrapped up in the story too which isn't an easy thing for boys. The narrators were fantastic though which makes a huge difference! I never listen to audio books with crappy narrators. I can tell in the first few minutes if they are going to be good or not. If they suck, they go right back to the library. : ) But anyways, this one was definitely a success. It had magic with fun spells, assassins on the hunt for a princess, cool characters- animals included and a lot of action to keep everyone entertained. We are looking forward to starting the next one in the series tomorrow.

"Crazy as a cuttlefish
Nasty as a RAT
Put her in a pie dish
Give her to the CAT!”
-Angie Sage, Magyk ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Slow to get started but lots of fun once it got underway. Maybe the plot was a little too predictable (at least for an adult) but who doesn’t like a story where everything works out in the end? ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
The large Heap family welcomes an abandoned baby into their home, little realizing that she is in fact the orphaned princess--now queen--of their land. Eventually the evil that killed her mother comes looking for her, and so the whole family (along with an ExtraOrdinary Witch) goes on the run.

I could only get 26% of the way through this before I had to give up. I was too annoyed by the twee phrasing ("Silas felt a lurch in the bottom of his stomach, and it wasn't just the barley cake. It was dread.") and capitalization and bolding of every single magical--excuse me, magykal--term. It's written for a much younger audience than YA, so the plot and characters are ridiculously simple. Just no fun for an old fogey like me, but children might like it. It's a little wacky but still retains an essential sweetness of character. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Angie Sageprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zug, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lois, with love and thanks for all your help and encouragement - this book is for you.
Silas Heap pulled his cloak tightly around him against the snow.

The Magyk Begins Here

Septimus Heap, the seventh son of the seventh son, disappears the night he is born, pronounced dead by the midwife. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across an abandoned child in the snow -- a newborn girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take her into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:15 -0400)

After learning that she is the Princess, Jenna is whisked from her home and carried toward safety by the Extraordinary Wizard, those she always believed were her father and brother, and a young guard known only as Boy 412--pursued by agents of those who killed her mother ten years earlier.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,448,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible