Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman

Son of the Mob (2002)

by Gordon Korman

Recently added bybrthompson, private library, Garth-Wiebe, _-Siren-_, RawrE, cctesttc1, cdrive, VovvoV, Martin-Library

This was a pretty entertaining story. It has lots of humor which isn't quite the norm for a mob story. I enjoyed it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Booktalk for "Son of the Mob": (Ask kids what dads do for a living.) So far no one's dad does what Vincent Luca's dad does for a living. And it's probably a good thing because Vince's dad is a mob boss. That's right, Vince's dad is in the Mob. So is Vince's older brother, Tommy. Then there are all the "uncles": Uncle Carmine, Uncle Fingers, Uncle Shank, Uncle Pampers. The uncles get rid of, uh, "problems." As for Vince, he wants no part of the mob life. And his family can respect him for that. Still, the life is all around him and Vince deals with it the best he can, including living with the wiretaps that the FBI installed in their home. But when Vince falls in love with Kendra, what HIS dad does for a living may really cramp his style, especially when he finds out what KENDRA's dad does for a living...he's an FBI agent...

"Hollywood Hustle": Vince Luca is headed off to attend the University of Santa Monica, as far away from his mob family as he can get. He meets some interesting people in his dorm and film class, including his L.A.-hip roommate Trey Sutter, son of a U.S. Congressman. But then VInce's brother Tommy breezes into town, followed by several of their "uncles," and they all spend a lot of time in Vince and Trey's room. Their visit coincides with the kidnapping of a union president just prior to a union election. Vince is convinced his family is somehow involved. Vince is determined to find out the truth but complicating his progress are Trey's kleptomaniac ways, Vince's faltering relationship with girlfriend Kendra, and Tommy's money scam involving USM's international students.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
(6.1)
  mrsforrest | Oct 15, 2014 |
The son of the head of a mob family falls in love with the daughter of an FBI agent - that's all it took for me to know I had to read this book. Happily, it turned out to be just as enjoyable as I had hoped.

I really liked Vince's “voice.” The book is written in the first person, from his perspective. He's a nice guy who tries to live as much like an ordinary, law-abiding citizen as possible, but his family's business has a habit of bleeding into his life. I loved reading about him trying to keep everything together while also trying to keep to his own ideas of right and wrong. Vince wasn't always the brightest of characters (I clued in to some of what was going on with his web design project well before he did), but he was very likable. I wanted things to turn out well for him, even when it wasn't always easy to figure out what “well” might mean for a kid who wants to obey the law but has a family that breaks it at every opportunity.

I had wondered how the mob aspects would be handled. In a lot of things I've read and seen in which the mobsters were not supposed to be 100% the bad guys, the mob aspects were often downplayed. The beginning of Son of the Mob made it seem like that's how it would be in that book, too. While on a date, Vince opens the trunk of his car to discover that his brother put someone in there. I at first thought he might be dead, but, no, he was just unconscious. When he woke up, he was more upset about the kind of car he'd been locked up in than that he'd been beaten.

While I'm still not sure how dirty Vince's immediate family members ever got their hands, later on it's made clear that the “uncles,” at least, don't all just bruise a guy and then leave him be. There's nothing “on page” - the dark stuff is still, in my opinion, handled lightly - but the mobsters are definitely not all handled in a “rough around the edges but still nice” sort of way.

The focus is on Vince, who is only exposed to a very small amount of the stuff his family is involved in. For the most part, Vince is concerned with Kendra, his relationship with his best friend Alex, and his efforts to keep others out of trouble with his family. I thought his relationship with Kendra was cute and fun (they got to know each other better via a mutual need for head lice treatments, and Vince becomes a fan of the many karaoke tapes Kendra records), but I found myself wishing Kendra had known as much as Vince about what was going on. She spent most of the book clueless, confused and hurt by Vince's insistence that they not meet each other's families. I'm tempted to read the sequel, Son of the Mob: Hollywood Hustle, just to see how things go between the two of them once everyone knows what's going on.

All in all, this was a fun, light read.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
For Alessandra Balzer, my partner in crime.
The worst night of my life? My first - and last - date with Angela O'Bannon.

Vince Luga, high school student and son of a crime boss, is trying his best to stay out of his father's "business". But then he meets this the girl of his dreams: beautiful, funny, and the daughter of the FBI agent trying to take Vince's dad down. Korman uses lots of humor in describing how Vince juggles the love of this girl and the loyalty to his family.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786815930, Paperback)

Vince Luca, 17, has a problem. His wealthy family runs the, uh, vending machine business in New York, and Vince is determined not to be part of it. Especially after a hot date is ruined when he finds that his older brother Tommy has conducted some business with Jimmy the Rat and hidden the messy and temporarily unconscious body in the trunk of Vince's car. His dad, the King of the Mob, is reasonable, sensible, lots of fun, gives great presents to his kids--and his name strikes the hearts of other mobsters to stone.

Although Vince keeps a low profile at school, his family connection brings him unwanted advantages, like the birthday Porsche that gets him arrested on stolen vehicle charges, or the football game in which he makes touchdown after touchdown because word has gotten around and nobody is willing to tackle him. Even private conversations at home have to be carried on in the basement because the FBI has bugged the house and an agent is always listening. Vince's life is inextricably tangled up with the family business, no matter how hard he tries to stay out of it. How can he show them he's serious? Then he meets Kendra, and when she innocently reveals that her father's an FBI agent--that FBI agent--it's a match made in heaven. He thinks.

Gordon Korman, author of (No More Dead Dogs) and over 30 other witty YA novels, is at his best in this Sopranos-style spoof about a teen's home life with the Mob. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Vince's life is constantly complicated by the fact that he is the son of a powerful Mafia boss, a relationship that threatens to destroy his romance with the daughter of an FBI agent.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible