Promises Linger (Promise Series 1) by Sarah…

Promises Linger (Promise Series 1) (edition 2011)

by Sarah McCarty

Member:pse105
Title:Promises Linger (Promise Series 1)
Authors:Sarah McCarty
Info:Sarah McCarty (2011), Kindle Edition, 360 pages
Collections:E book, Your library, Western
Tags:E book

Promises Linger by Sarah McCarty

Promises Linger
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Elizabeth Coyote will lose her ranch and everything she has worked for unless she marries. Asa MacIntyre wants nothing more than land of his own and a lady for his wife. Are they a perfect match or a disaster waiting to happen?

Review:
Steamy historical romance (erotica) with an amazingly sexy and stunningly sweet hero and a feisty heroine. The sex scenes are explicit but contribute to the construction of the relationship between the characters and to the overall storyline.

Elizabeth and Asa have fantastic chemistry. Asa is charming, loveable and has the patience of a saint. Elizabeth is more of an amalgamation of opposites. She initially comes across as strong willed and spirited but has moments in which she is completely naïve and innocent, and this is annoying at times.

The plot is engaging with 75% revolving around Elizabeth coming to terms with her trust issues and learning to love Asa, and the other 25% focusing on the question of who is sabotaging Elizabeth’s ranch. The suspense aspect of the story is a little lacking and the identity of the villain is obvious.

The story is well written with some very entertaining and amusing moments but the dialogue could have been better. The conversations are often stilted and consist of monosyllabic responses, and some readers may find the vocabulary vulgar and offensive (keep in mind that this is an erotica book after all). Moreover, there is a mix of period accurate and modern language that can be confusing.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story and the interaction between the characters and look forward to reading the next one. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I have no idea why this book is rated so highly. It is so disjointed--I seriously wondered if the kindle version was missing pages in several parts. Awful, far too contrived. Super hot sex, but really--it was like a series of hot scenes sloppily stitched together. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
While many erotic romance authors seem to fall into the trap of sacrificing story for sex, Sarah McCarty is one of the few who knows how to balance an engaging plot with great character development and scorching hot love scenes to create a beautiful story that's a pleasure to read. It is because of this deft combination that Ms. McCarty has become my current favorite erotic romance author and one of my overall favorite authors too. I had previously read and enjoyed some of her Hell's Eight novels. Promises Linger was my first read from her Promises series, and I'm pleased to say that it is her best book that I've read so far. I adored the characters, the plot was well-developed, and the love scenes were smokin'. What more could a romance lover ask for?;-)

When the story opens, Elizabeth marches into the saloon and stands down her “husband” of only one day who stole her money and gave her a black eye. It was absolutely adorable how she was trying to maintain the prim and proper comportment she'd learned at her fancy finishing school back East while holding the man at gunpoint. Throughout the story this dichotomy comes into play frequently, and I loved the delicate balancing act that she performs between trying to be a perfect lady and reluctantly learning to embrace her naturally wild tendencies. Once she dispenses with the evil ex, she immediately offers herself and her ranch to Asa MacIntyre, a man she knows only by his reputation. Having been misinformed at her finishing school, Elizabeth thinks the marriage bed is nothing more than a duty and experiences extreme virginal jitters on her wedding night, but Asa was infinitely patient with her, trying to seduce her little by little. When she still wouldn't warm up to him and he was about ready to leave, not wanting to force the issue, she tells herself she needs to do it to keep him and to save her ranch. At that point, she takes matters in hand, doing something that surprises the heck out of him. Things didn't exactly go the way Asa had planned, but lucky for her, he's an incredibly generous lover who showed her what she was missing the next morning, and the way she responds is just too cute. On the outside, Elizabeth may be starched and buttoned up, always trying to maintain a steel grip of control, but inside, she's fiery and passionate. Lucky girl that she is, Asa is just the man to help her loosen up. Having been treated by her father like the son he never had, Elizabeth is unused to any softness in her life. She is wary of men, thinking that they all like to hit and treat women badly, so sadly, the gentleness and consideration that Asa shows her is a completely foreign concept to her. He constantly makes her feel off balance, like she never knows where she stands with him. Elizabeth may know how to behave like a gently bred lady, but Asa teaches her what it means to be a woman in more ways than one.

[Sigh] Asa is just to yummy for words. The man totally had me drooling for him and has more than earned a spot on my favorite romance heroes list. He may have had a rough upbringing, but he definitely knows how to treat a lady right. All he's ever wanted in life was a place to belong, a nice spread to call his own, and a wife to love and share it with. When Elizabeth offers her proposition, it's like all his dreams have come true in one fell swoop. Asa is immediately drawn to her spunky nature and understated beauty. In fact, he not only respects her feistiness, but finds it amusing. Asa is oh so sexy and just the kind of alpha hero I love. He positively oozes confidence and control and knows how to be dominating without being a jerk. He's the kind of alpha who gets his way through gentle persuasion rather than arrogantly imposing his will on others, namely Elizabeth. If anything, he's rather laid back but is very protective of anyone or anything he deems "his," and yet underneath he has a tender heart of gold. He's the type of man who understands how to use his own self-assurance to build a woman up, not tear her down. I love how Asa is protective of Elizabeth, not just physically, but also of her battered heart and psyche. He won't stand for anyone, not even someone she considers a friend, putting her down or causing her even the slightest bit of pain. Asa is also very intelligent and intuitive, reading between the lines of the things Elizabeth says (and doesn't say), as well as interpreting her moods and emotions to understand what she's really thinking. It was so sweet how Asa cleverly made Elizabeth think he was in control in an effort to put her at ease, when in a sense he was really giving her the reins. One example was when he told her that a man needed to be warmed up to enjoy love-making, so she wouldn't rush it. That scene was just too cute. I also adored the way he gently teased Elizabeth even though she didn't understand it at first. Asa was simply one of those scrumptious, devil-may-care cowboys who gives his all to the woman he loves and treats her like a precious jewel, and I absolutely loved him for it.

Promises Linger introduces a few key supporting players who become main characters in future books of the series. Cougar was another of those sexy, laid-back cowboys who definitely intrigues me. He's a half-breed who apparently has a reputation as being a rough, tough cowpoke on the outside, but inside has the heart of a romantic and believes in true love. Unfortunately, he's smitten with a woman who can't stand him and only wants his money. I'll be looking forward to reading his story, Promises Keep, which is the next in the series, and seeing him get his HEA with a woman who can appreciate him more. There is also Clint, one of the ranch hands on the Rocking C. He helps watch out for Elizabeth and we get a hint that he may have a thing for a woman Elizabeth has occasionally been helping. That lady, Jenna, is mentioned in the background of this book as dealing with a hard-drinking, abusive husband. Clint and Jenna become the hero and heroine of book #3, Promises Reveal.

Overall, Promises Linger was a wonderful read. It had all the things that make a romance enjoyable to me: a to-die-for hero, a spunky but emotionally damaged heroine, likable secondary characters, a tender story that tugs at the heartstrings, and steamy but tasteful love scenes. Need I say more?;-) It definitely has me eager to continue the Promises series, as well as get back to Hell's Eight and pick up more of Sarah McCarty's other works too.

Note: This book contains explicit language and sexual situations including anal sex, which may offend some readers. ( )
  mom2lnb | Jun 3, 2013 |
Excellent READ... I love the possessive, protective bad boy Asa McIntyre. He can call me Darlin any time any day. Elly got on my nerves sometimes but then I also think a lot of her behavior stems from her abuse and stupid school back East.. There were many good sex scenes and each helped to progress the story, the plot and the relationship between these two. Excellent read. ( )
  Dianna_the_huntress | Feb 16, 2011 |
It wasn't every day a lady strolled into Dell's.

Wyoming Territory, 1868:

Elizabeth Coyote will do anything, anything at all, to save the ranch she loves, including marrying Asa MacIntyre, a broad shouldered, lean hipped silver eyed gunslinger with a ruthless reputation for getting the job done. No one expects Asa to hang around past the first bank draft, but Asa has always wanted a place of his own, a lady for a wife, and the respect that comes with both. Marrying Elizabeth may have started out as a means to an end, but nothing in his wildest dreams could have prepared him for the fun he'd have unleashing the purely carnal woman beneath his wife's prim and proper exterior.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141995010X, Paperback)

Promises Linger By Sarah McCarty 1868 Wyoming Territory Elizabeth Coyote will do anything, anything at all, to save the ranch she loves, including marrying Asa MacIntyre, a broad shouldered, lean hipped silver eyed gunslinger with a ruthless reputation for getting the job done. Asa dreams of a place of his own, a wife, and the respect that comes with both. Marrying Elizabeth may have started as a means to an end, but nothing in Asa's wildest dreams prepares him for the excitement of unleashing the carnal woman beneath his wife's prim and proper exterior.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:23 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,485,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible