Le Poète by Michael Connelly

Le Poète (original 1996; edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Jean Esch (Traduction)

Member:Nookie
Title:Le Poète
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Jean Esch (Traduction)
Info:Pointdeux Editions (2011), Poche, 981 pages
Collections:Audiolivres, Your library
Tags:Connelly, audiolivre, 2012, littérature 21e, policier

The Poet by Michael Connelly (1996)

Recently added byJW1949, avcooplibrary, private library, ossi, ssoixa, KarrenCline, ThatCatLady, sgbg, pgtrnr
    The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly (kraaivrouw)
    Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Lansdale (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Fun book by a well regarded author.
    The Greenway by Jane Adams (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Very descriptive, almost a paranormal.
    Blue-Eyed Devil by Robert B. Parker (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: One of a great author's last books. Brings me back to the old TV westerns.
    The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Book award winner, highly regarded, well written.

English (62)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (68)
Okay, so he fooled me on who the Poet was, but I really didn't like any of the characters. I didn't like the dialogue between Jack and Rachel. I just didn't like it at all. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
The Poet is outstanding in many ways; I expected that freshness and quality to carry all the way through. But I was a little disappointed when it fell short in a few spots. Overall a good, solid read. ( )
  Bookish59 | Apr 11, 2016 |
AUTHOR Connelly, Michael
TITLE: The Poet
DATE READ: 02/04/2016
RATING 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS Crime Fiction/ 1996/ Little, Brown & Co. / 614 LP pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #1 Jack McEvoy
CHARACTERS Jack McEvoy/newspaper journalist
TIME/PLACE: 1990's / Colorado & California
FIRST LINES Death is my beat. I make a living from it.
COMMENTS: Why has it been so long since my last Michael Connelly read? He is so good! I guess I have a lot of his books to look forward to… Jack's twin brother Sean is a police detective in Denver. He has been working on a very tough case that seems to have really gotten him down so when his body his found in his car out in a park w/ what appears to be a self-inflicted gun-shot wound, his death is deemed suicide. Jack is not so accepting & keeps researching and digging . He won't let up until he sees some connection in recent police suicides and the traumatic cases these homicide detectives were working on -- all w/ the link of a brief suicide note -- the lines from Edgar Allen poems. He convinces the Denver Police Dept to re-activate Sean's death now as a homicide. The other linked deaths are in Maryland, Florida, Arizona, etc … leading to the FBI involvement. Great suspenseful read right up to the end. ( )
  pammykn | Feb 4, 2016 |
Audio book read by Buck Schirner

Jack McEvoy is the ace crime reporter for the Rocky Mountain News, so he’s used to dealing with violent death. But when his twin brother, a homicide detective, commits suicide he just cannot let it rest. Trying to come to grips with how Sean could become so despondent, Jack begins to research suicide among law enforcement officers and notices an unusual pattern.

Connelly is a master at crafting a suspenseful thriller / mystery. There are plenty of clues – and misclues – to keep our hero, the police, FBI and the reader guessing. I was surprised by the reveal, although it’s pretty clear the story isn’t over when the FBI think they have their man and there’s still 80 pages to go in the book. There’s the obligatory romantic tension, which I wish authors of the genre would abandon, but this doesn’t get in the way of the book.

Schirner shines in this audio version, though his voice tends to be more gravelly than I like. He has great pacing and manages the female voices fairly well.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Continuing on with my reading of Mr. Connelly’s books, this one was a diversion from both Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller. Jack McEvoy is a crime reporter who wants to write a personal story … his brother was found dead of apparent suicide and Jack wants to tell his story. However, Jack does not believe his brother Sean really killed himself. Before long Jack finds himself in the middle of an FBI investigation into the serial killer calling himself “The Poet”

Another fun read for fans of Mr. Connelly and this genre.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Philip Spitzer and Joel Gotleb -- great advisors and agents, but most of all great friends
Death is my beat.

Our hero is Jack McEvoy, a Rocky Mountain News crime-beat reporter. As the story opens, Jack's twin brother, a Denver homicide detective, has just killed himself. Or so it seems. But when Jack begins to investigate the phenomenon of police suicides, a disturbing pattern emerges, and soon suspects that a serial murderer is at work - a devious cop killer who's left a coast-to-coast trail of "suicide notes" drawn from the poems of Edgar Allan Poe. It's the story of a lifetime - except that "the Poet" already seems to know that Jack is trailing him. . .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446690457, Paperback)

Jack McEvoy is a Denver crime reporter with the stickiest assignment of his career. His twin brother, homicide detective Sean McEvoy, was found dead in his car from a self-inflicted bullet wound to the head--an Edgar Allen Poe quote smeared on the windshield. Jack is going to write the story. The problem is that Jack doesn't believe that his brother killed himself, and the more information he uncovers, the more it looks like Sean's death was the work of a serial killer. Jack's research turns up similar cases in cities across the country, and within days, he's sucked into an intense FBI investigation of an Internet pedophile who may also be a cop killer nicknamed the Poet. It's only a matter of time before the Poet kills again, and as Jack and the FBI team struggle to stay ahead of him, the killer moves in, dangerously close.

In a break from his Harry Bosch novels--including The Concrete Blonde and The Last Coyote--Edgar-winning novelist Michael Connelly creates a new hero who is a lot greener but no less believable. The Poet will keep readers holding their breath until the very end: the characters are multilayered, the plot compelling, and the denouement a true surprise. Connelly fans will not be disappointed. --Mara Friedman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

When Jack McEvoy, a Rocky Mountain News crime-beat reporter, hears of his twin brother's suicide, he begins to investigate the phenomenon of police suicides. He soon decides the death is the work of a serial killer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,509,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible