Le Poète by Michael Connelly

Le Poète (original 1996; edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Jean Esch (Traduction)

Member:Nookie
Title:Le Poète
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Jean Esch (Traduction)
Info:Pointdeux Editions (2011), Poche, 981 pages
Collections:Audiolivres, Your library
Tags:Connelly, audiolivre, 2012, littérature 21e, policier

The Poet by Michael Connelly (1996)

Connelly (14) crime (133) crime fiction (43) detective (32) ebook (25) Edgar Allan Poe (9) FBI (24) fiction (249) Harry Bosch (22) Jack McEvoy (42) Los Angeles (25) Michael Connelly (14) murder (23) mystery (256) Mystery/Thriller (12) novel (17) paperback (11) polar (10) police (13) police procedural (9) policier (20) Rachel Walling (19) read (53) serial killer (54) series (18) suspense (26) thriller (137) to-read (30) unread (9) USA (26)
    The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly (kraaivrouw)
    Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Lansdale (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Fun book by a well regarded author.
    The Greenway by Jane Adams (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Very descriptive, almost a paranormal.
    Blue-Eyed Devil by Robert B. Parker (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: One of a great author's last books. Brings me back to the old TV westerns.
    The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Book award winner, highly regarded, well written.

English (51)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
The backstory: I've been racing through Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels and loving them. I decided to read all of his novels in the order in which they were published rather than just the Bosch novels. The Poet is the first non-Bosch mystery.

The basics: When Jack McEvoy, a Denver newspaper journalist, hears his twin brother, a police officer, committed suicide, he doesn't believe it and starts investigating his death as a possible murder.

My thoughts: The best stand-alone mysteries are the stories that couldn't be told the same way if the usual crime-solver caught the case, and The Poet is a stellar mystery. Admittedly, I'm a fan of journalist-fiction, and McEvoy is a smart, savvy journalist (and character) to root for. In many ways The Poet is the best of both worlds: solving mysteries inside and outside of law enforcement. McEvoy has access to some clues that may have been missed, while he also relies on law enforcement at other times. The result is a compelling, compulsively-readable mystery I'm still marveling about. Fans of Connelly will enjoy a few delightfully subtle Easter eggs that those who don't know Bosch wouldn't even notice.

The verdict: The Poet may be Michael Connelly's best mystery yet. This mystery is twisty even by his standards, and I hope McEvoy (and other characters from The Poet) pops up in another Connelly mystery down the road. ( )
  nomadreader | Apr 10, 2014 |
One of the best thrillers I have read. I would put it up there with Turrow's Presumed Innocent and Lehane's Mystic River. The book really grips you right from the beginning and doesn't let go until the very end.

I am a little wary of serial crime novels and their authors (Connelly's Bosch novels for example, I find enjoyable but not too noteworthy) but this book is remarkable and worth reading by anyone who likes a good mystery/crime thriller. ( )
  d04rules | Feb 14, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Connelly's "The Poet," even though its quite a grim murder mystery, full of death from the first page. It has a very interesting split perspective, told mostly by a first-person narrator, broken occasionally by some third-person chapters. It was very interesting trying to decipher both the central plot mystery that obsesses the main character and also the hints the author may have placed as to what's really going on behind the scenes. I think fans of [a:Thomas Harris|12455|Thomas Harris|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1194544741p2/12455.jpg] would enjoy "The Poet." ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |
As a crime reporter, Jack McEvoy has spent a lifetime asking victims and their relatives intrusive questions about their feelings and emotions. He even has the scars to show for it. Now, with his brother's suicide, he's on the other side of the interview table. But Jack is unwilling to believe that his brother, a happily married policeman, would commit suicide, no matter how troubled he had become by a recent child kidnapping case. Jack feels compelled to research and report his brother's emotions and reasons, but as he begins to investigate, he discovers troubling evidence that indicates the presence of a vicious serial killer. After blackmailing his way into FBI confidence, Jack becomes embroiled in a case that involves victims across the US and puts himself at risk.

After reading The Lincoln Lawyer, I found Jack a pleasant change from the callous, scheming, sleazy Mickey Haller. Jack also lacks at least some of Harry Bosch's rather terrifying self-righteousness and propensity to violence. I did not understand Jack's reaction to his brother's death; I can understand wanting to investigate privately, but not publicizing his grief and struggle to comprehend his brother's actions. However, I found Jack, with his numerous insecurities and rather touching arrogance, a sympathetic and likeable protagonist. Probably the reason why this book was a 4-star rather than a 5-star for me was Rachel Walling, who I feel fully deserves the title of superbitch. hover for spoilerThe book involves serial rapists, paedophiles, and murderers. I find rape an incredibly troubling theme, which made parts of this book sickening and horrifying. In some ways, the story seeks to explore a paedophile's mentality, history, and struggle between guilt and desire. Rape, especially rape of a child, is one of the most horrifying crimes, and I really don't like reading about or analysing it. That analysis is unavoidable in this book.

hover for spoiler

For me, the murder method was incredibly intriguing. For some of the murders, the murderer's program involved hypnosis. The murderer first utilized opiates and similar to increase susceptibility, then induced hypnosis to make the victims compliant. I initially was very sceptical of this. I had believed that the claims of hypnosis were outrageously exaggerated, and that the maximum possible was increased low-level suggestibility. However, after reading the book, I did a bit of research and discovered that (as I should expect by now) none of Connelly's claims were outrageous, and all had reasonable scientific backing. There is very little empirical evidence that people under hypnosis can be forced to do something they find reprehensible (heh, try getting an IRB approved for that study), but given current research, it does not seem unlikely that someone could be compelled to submission and inactivity against their will. It is a little hard to believe that by choosing a random victim, you would be able to get hypnosis, especially since the subjects would be unwilling. About 20% of the population is highly susceptible, and about 60% can be hypnotized--way more than I would have believed possible, but still meaning it would be difficult to just hypnotize a random victim. However, by adding narcotics, the murderer could greatly increase susceptibility. The murderer also tended to target people who were emotionally vulnerable, and in fact the population most susceptible to hypnosis is individuals with PTSD. hover for spoiler This murder method therefore stretched credulity, but was not beyond the bounds of belief. After doing the research, my beliefs in the powers of hypnosis--and my fascination and phobia of it-- were greatly increased.

The book's theme is Connelly's standard Nietzcheian observation: how hunting the monster can cause one to fall into the abyss and become one. However, it has a new twist, as it also explores how hunting the monsters can destroy hope and lead to despair. Jack's voice contains more optimism and less brutality than Haller's or Bosch's, but also lacks Bosch's resolve. Jack's motives are tainted by his desire for the story rather than simple justice. I thought this book was especially interesting because I had a real sense that Jack is the closest echo of Connelly, the character closest to speaking with his own voice. It makes certain small elements more vivid and thought-provoking; for example, the cop who dies in Chicago turns out to be African-American, yet because none of the stories mentioned this, Jack had assumed he was white. The story segues slightly there into a brief analysis of race and our assumptions, and I had the sense that this fear and guilt was very close to the author's heart. It all adds up to an interesting and troubling read. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
SUMMARY: "A special promotional edition of The Poet including a first chapter of the new Michael Connelly thriller, The Narrows to be published in May 2004. With a new introduction by Stephen King."
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Philip Spitzer and Joel Gotleb -- great advisors and agents, but most of all great friends
Death is my beat.

Our hero is Jack McEvoy, a Rocky Mountain News crime-beat reporter. As the story opens, Jack's twin brother, a Denver homicide detective, has just killed himself. Or so it seems. But when Jack begins to investigate the phenomenon of police suicides, a disturbing pattern emerges, and soon suspects that a serial murderer is at work - a devious cop killer who's left a coast-to-coast trail of "suicide notes" drawn from the poems of Edgar Allan Poe. It's the story of a lifetime - except that "the Poet" already seems to know that Jack is trailing him. . .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446690457, Paperback)

Jack McEvoy is a Denver crime reporter with the stickiest assignment of his career. His twin brother, homicide detective Sean McEvoy, was found dead in his car from a self-inflicted bullet wound to the head--an Edgar Allen Poe quote smeared on the windshield. Jack is going to write the story. The problem is that Jack doesn't believe that his brother killed himself, and the more information he uncovers, the more it looks like Sean's death was the work of a serial killer. Jack's research turns up similar cases in cities across the country, and within days, he's sucked into an intense FBI investigation of an Internet pedophile who may also be a cop killer nicknamed the Poet. It's only a matter of time before the Poet kills again, and as Jack and the FBI team struggle to stay ahead of him, the killer moves in, dangerously close.

In a break from his Harry Bosch novels--including The Concrete Blonde and The Last Coyote--Edgar-winning novelist Michael Connelly creates a new hero who is a lot greener but no less believable. The Poet will keep readers holding their breath until the very end: the characters are multilayered, the plot compelling, and the denouement a true surprise. Connelly fans will not be disappointed. --Mara Friedman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:47 -0400)

Death is reporter Jack McEvoy's beat. But this time, death brings McEvoy the story he never wanted to write -- and the mystery he desperately needs to solve. A serial killer of unprecedented savagery and cunning is at large, His targets: homicide cops, each haunted by a murder case he couldn't crack. His latest victim: McEvoy's own brother. And his last may be McEvoy himself.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible