Le Poète by Michael Connelly

Le Poète (original 1996; edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Jean Esch (Traduction)

Member:Nookie
Title:Le Poète
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Jean Esch (Traduction)
Info:Pointdeux Editions (2011), Poche, 981 pages
Collections:Audiolivres, Your library
Tags:Connelly, audiolivre, 2012, littérature 21e, policier

The Poet by Michael Connelly (1996)

Recently added byCJSTheWriter, Northlaw, private library, bobcity, scodenton, chrisreyes2316, macdherbe, thevans200
    The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly (kraaivrouw)
    Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Lansdale (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Fun book by a well regarded author.
    The Greenway by Jane Adams (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Very descriptive, almost a paranormal.
    Blue-Eyed Devil by Robert B. Parker (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: One of a great author's last books. Brings me back to the old TV westerns.
    The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Book award winner, highly regarded, well written.

English (53)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
Really a great book. If you are a fan of mystery novels, this one's for you. Plus it mentions Poe, my fav! :) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The backstory: I've been racing through Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels and loving them. I decided to read all of his novels in the order in which they were published rather than just the Bosch novels. The Poet is the first non-Bosch mystery.

The basics: When Jack McEvoy, a Denver newspaper journalist, hears his twin brother, a police officer, committed suicide, he doesn't believe it and starts investigating his death as a possible murder.

My thoughts: The best stand-alone mysteries are the stories that couldn't be told the same way if the usual crime-solver caught the case, and The Poet is a stellar mystery. Admittedly, I'm a fan of journalist-fiction, and McEvoy is a smart, savvy journalist (and character) to root for. In many ways The Poet is the best of both worlds: solving mysteries inside and outside of law enforcement. McEvoy has access to some clues that may have been missed, while he also relies on law enforcement at other times. The result is a compelling, compulsively-readable mystery I'm still marveling about. Fans of Connelly will enjoy a few delightfully subtle Easter eggs that those who don't know Bosch wouldn't even notice.

The verdict: The Poet may be Michael Connelly's best mystery yet. This mystery is twisty even by his standards, and I hope McEvoy (and other characters from The Poet) pops up in another Connelly mystery down the road. ( )
  nomadreader | Apr 10, 2014 |
One of the best thrillers I have read. I would put it up there with Turrow's Presumed Innocent and Lehane's Mystic River. The book really grips you right from the beginning and doesn't let go until the very end.

I am a little wary of serial crime novels and their authors (Connelly's Bosch novels for example, I find enjoyable but not too noteworthy) but this book is remarkable and worth reading by anyone who likes a good mystery/crime thriller. ( )
  d04rules | Feb 14, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Connelly's "The Poet," even though its quite a grim murder mystery, full of death from the first page. It has a very interesting split perspective, told mostly by a first-person narrator, broken occasionally by some third-person chapters. It was very interesting trying to decipher both the central plot mystery that obsesses the main character and also the hints the author may have placed as to what's really going on behind the scenes. I think fans of [a:Thomas Harris|12455|Thomas Harris|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1194544741p2/12455.jpg] would enjoy "The Poet." ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Philip Spitzer and Joel Gotleb -- great advisors and agents, but most of all great friends
Death is my beat.

Our hero is Jack McEvoy, a Rocky Mountain News crime-beat reporter. As the story opens, Jack's twin brother, a Denver homicide detective, has just killed himself. Or so it seems. But when Jack begins to investigate the phenomenon of police suicides, a disturbing pattern emerges, and soon suspects that a serial murderer is at work - a devious cop killer who's left a coast-to-coast trail of "suicide notes" drawn from the poems of Edgar Allan Poe. It's the story of a lifetime - except that "the Poet" already seems to know that Jack is trailing him. . .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446690457, Paperback)

Jack McEvoy is a Denver crime reporter with the stickiest assignment of his career. His twin brother, homicide detective Sean McEvoy, was found dead in his car from a self-inflicted bullet wound to the head--an Edgar Allen Poe quote smeared on the windshield. Jack is going to write the story. The problem is that Jack doesn't believe that his brother killed himself, and the more information he uncovers, the more it looks like Sean's death was the work of a serial killer. Jack's research turns up similar cases in cities across the country, and within days, he's sucked into an intense FBI investigation of an Internet pedophile who may also be a cop killer nicknamed the Poet. It's only a matter of time before the Poet kills again, and as Jack and the FBI team struggle to stay ahead of him, the killer moves in, dangerously close.

In a break from his Harry Bosch novels--including The Concrete Blonde and The Last Coyote--Edgar-winning novelist Michael Connelly creates a new hero who is a lot greener but no less believable. The Poet will keep readers holding their breath until the very end: the characters are multilayered, the plot compelling, and the denouement a true surprise. Connelly fans will not be disappointed. --Mara Friedman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:47 -0400)

When Jack McEvoy, a Rocky Mountain News crime-beat reporter, hears of his twin brother's suicide, he begins to investigate the phenomenon of police suicides. He soon decides the death is the work of a serial killer.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible