The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

The Wednesday Letters (2007)

by Jason F. Wright

English (53)  German (1)  All languages (54)
A sweet love story about a long married couple who die on the same night. Jack, the husband wrote a letter every Wedsday to his wife, Laurel. These boxes of letters are found by their three children during the weekend of the funeral. This story takes place in Woodstock, Va in the beautiful Shenandoah mountains, an area that I know well and love. After reading this book, I want to move there! A very sweet book that was a comfort to read. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Feb 7, 2019 |
I picked this book up from a chain grocery store book aisle so, honestly, I wasn't expecting much. It did not disappoint. I read it in the space of about 5 hours the day my husband flew off to a 3 day business conference.

In this story, a couple married for 39 years pass away within hours of each other, causing their three adult children and estranged family to gather together in the small town Virginia home where the old couple had retired to manage a bed and breakfast. While going through their parents' things, they discover boxes and boxes of letters that their father had written to their mother every Wednesday while they were married. Through the letters, the siblings d
learn family secrets that change the way they think about themselves and their places in the world. The underlying moral of forgiveness being paramount to a life well-lived is unmistakable throughout the novella.

What drew me to this book was the epilogue, which was cleverly presented as a folded sheet of paper in a sealed envelope affixed to the back cover of the book. It felt like a neat treat for having finished reading the book.. and it truly was! Still, for such a clever attention to detail, I'd hoped for more than the book offered, but what it did offer was good enough to pass a lonely Sunday evening.

Some of the reviews I read about this book said it felt like a Hallmark movie, but I disagree; rather, I think it would find a place on the old Lifetime Movie Network due to some of the mature themes described that become pivotal to the plot. It's really not more complex than that -- but, again, I didn't expect it to be a blockbuster, given where I found this book.

3 of 5 stars. If you're looking for a beach book or to kill some time, like I was, this is a pretty ok book with a feel-good ending. ( )
  KitKatReed | Jun 29, 2018 |
Sappy…got tired of listening to it.
Listened to on audio Art Allen ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
Easy read touching story read it in a couple of days and I recommend it. ( )
  brandymuss | Mar 15, 2016 |
This is a special book. It's not one of those parable-type stories that teaches a lesson about forgiveness—it's a book that shows you how forgiveness works in real life. I know this book is fiction, but it had a nonfiction feel to it. And like a lot of other readers, I'm tempted to start a Wednesday Letters-esque tradition in my own life. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
To my parents, Willard and Sandra
Shortly after 11:00 p.m., Laurel slid under the maroon comforter and into bed next to her husband, Jack.

The surprise New York Times bestseller, from an author who delivers “American storytelling at its best.”

The story of marriage, family, and forgiveness that has become not just a bestseller but an instant classic.

Their story begins with one letter on their wedding night, a letter from the groom, promising to write his bride every week—for as long they both shall live.

Thirty-nine years later, Jack and Laurel Cooper die in each other’s arms. And when their grown children return to the family B&B to arrange the funeral, they discover thousands of letters.

The letters they read tell of surprising joys and sorrows. They also hint at a shocking family secret—and ultimately force the children to confront a life-changing moment of truth…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

When Jack and Laurel's adult children arrive to arrange for their funeral they discover boxes full of love letters that their father wrote to their mother each week on Wednesday. As they begin to open and read the letters, the children discover the shocking truth about their past.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible