Restless Virgins: Love, Sex, and Survival in…

Restless Virgins: Love, Sex, and Survival in Prep School (edition 2008)

by Abigail Jones, Marissa Miley

Member:t1bnotown
Title:Restless Virgins: Love, Sex, and Survival in Prep School
Authors:Abigail Jones
Other authors:Marissa Miley
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Nonfiction

Restless Virgins: Love, Sex, and Survival at a New England Prep School by Abigail Jones

The sexism at Milton was shocking not only in its breadth, but in its acceptance by both teachers and students. It's not cool for high school kids to get caught with alcohol by a teacher and to have them walk away and do nothing. It's not okay when students complain to a teacher about the boys rating them for the school to do nothing. The whole acceptance that girls are supposed to service boys sexually was sickening- I hope that Milton has woken up since this was written, but it's creepy, and I definitely wouldn't trust a prep school with my kids after reading this. ( )
  t1bnotown | Dec 4, 2012 |
I really, REALLY tried to finish this book, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I've never been more bored with a book in my life than I was with this one. Like others have said, I kept waiting for the "scandal" to happen... but there was none. This is basically just a book about what happens at ANY high school these days, and it only warranted having a book written about it because of the school's "elite" reputation. Well, welcome to the real world, folks... this happens at just about every high school in America. ( )
  NikkiColeslaw | Dec 5, 2011 |
From reading this nonfiction book about Milton Academy, one gets the impression most of the students' time is spent hooking up and indulging in other teen behavior. Classes and studying are barely mentioned, even though the students do get into good colleges. Not my kind of place. ( )
  ennie | Nov 14, 2011 |
This book made my day. Money can't buy abstinence. End of story. Education is needed. This is the fault of close-mindedness. You only have yourselves to blame. You know who you are. Plus I drive by this school every time I go the back way through Blue Hills into Boston. So it was great to see the place the book was written about. ( )
  CapeCodMichelle | Sep 3, 2011 |
In 2005, Milton Academy, a private school outside of Boston, was at the center of a sex scandal. In this book, the authors tell the stories of some of the students who were seniors at the time the scandal broke and explore how this breeding ground for the upper echelon could be at the center of something so debased.

Or I guess that's what this book was supposed to be about. This was not terribly well-done. The authors basically just present us with the lives of a number of students, none of which were directly involved in the scandals. There isn't really any explanation as to how this sex scandal came to be or why it was so surprising to people when it did make the news. There are too many different people in this story and they are not distinguished from each other enough - I couldn't keep them straight. I think probably I'm not far enough removed from high school that anything that happened at Milton actually shocked me. Plus, I went to a public school. It seemed to me that while I was reading this, if I just imagined the students without the Lilly Pulitzer and whatnot, it could have been my high school. I mean, do people really think that this sort of stuff doesn't happen among high schoolers? In the end, not as good as I had hoped. ( )
  booksandbosox | Jul 12, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061192058, Hardcover)

Established in 1798, Milton Academy had always had a proud history of achievement, integrity, and pride—until a sex scandal rocked the campus and made headlines in the spring of 2005. Written by two Milton graduates who know this world—and these students—like no others, Restless Virgins follows a group of seniors who were there as the "incident" (as it came to be called) unfolded. Startling, riveting, important, and true, it offers an honest, intimate look at the real lives of today's teens—an eye-opening yet sensitive depiction of normal kids with normal struggles that no teen, parent, or educator can afford to ignore.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:33 -0400)

"Established in 1798, Milton Academy has a proud history of achievement. It has educated artists and CEOs;it has produced a long line of distinguished scholars and dignitaries; and it has shepherded students through the world of high-pressure academics for generations. Since its founding, the public face of Milton had always been one of integrity and pride ... until a sex scandal rocked the campus and made headlines in the spring of 2005. The offense? Teenagers doing no more than what others had done before them - except this time they got caught." "Restless Virgins is the real-life story of a group of seniors who were there as the "incident" (as it came to be called) unfolded: Whitney, the athletic and sensual beauty every girl wants to be; Annie, who craves acceptance but is torn between the desire for peer approval and musical success; Lillian, the smart one who is sick of high school drama and desperate to go to college; and Reed, a "hockey god" who has it all but whose charisma masks a secret insecurity." "From "friends with benefits" to STDs, today's teens face a wider array of social and sexual opportunities - and pressures - than ever before. Through its eye-opening yet sensitive depiction of a group of normal kids with normal struggles, Restless Virgins offers an important look at contemporary adolescence no teen, parent, or educator can afford to miss. And it is written by two recent Milton graduates who know this world - and these students - like no others."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible