Scent to Her Grave (Bath and Body Mysteries)…

Scent to Her Grave (Bath and Body Mysteries) (original 2006; edition 2005)

by India Ink

Member:Roweena
Title:Scent to Her Grave (Bath and Body Mysteries)
Authors:India Ink
Info:Berkley (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:to be read

Scent to Her Grave by India Ink (2006)

Persia Vanderbilt has returned to her aunt's home and shop in Gull Harbor, Washington. A body is found in the shop, and when a valued employee is accused of the murder, she must work to clear his name. For me, the book started out fairly well with the cat causing Persia to fall down the stairs, but then it headed downhill from there for much of the book. Finally the action picked up in the last few chapters, redeeming it somewhat. As a Christian, I was bothered by the psychic consultations and some of the new age content, particularly in the pages from Persia's journal that aren't really central to the plot but are included with the book in much the same manner recipes are included in some books. The writer's technique has definitely not been perfected. I am unlikely to continue with this series. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 29, 2010 |
Persia has returned to her island hometown off the coast of Washington followin a string of lack-lustre jobs and a desasterous relationship. She is working at her aunt's spa and bath products store and using her extremely delicate sense of smell to create scents for the spa and one-of-a-kind scents for individual customers. When one of the more prominent and annoying customers ends up dead in the store, and one of her aunt's employees is arrested for the crime, Persia can't help but stick her nose in.

Hmmm, I was a bit disappointed by this book. The killer so so obvious and the motive was so lame. But mostly, I found Persia pretty annoying. I don't really know why but I just thought she was too pushy. Also, there was so much going on that seemed to have nothing to do with the story. I know she is setting up a series but it was just so disorganized. Frankly I think I would have liked it better if her aunt and her best friend were the detectives. They were much more fun and likeable. I probably will not be trying the second in the series. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Dec 13, 2010 |
India Ink has written a witty, often amusing and definitely complex amateur sleuth mystery. The central character is a martial arts expert who is a very feminine, spirited and independent woman. Trying to elude a bad relationship in Seattle, Persia Vanderbilt returns home to Gull Harbor and sets to work at her aunt's business, Venus Envy, a business that creates custom blended oils and spa services. At the beginning, Persia is blending an individual scent for Lydia Wang when Lydia (the Radiance Cosmetics Beauty Contest winner) gets into several altercations - one with her former boyfriend, Trevor, a employee of Venus Envy, another with the contest runner-up, Colleen. When Persia finds Lydia dead in the spa the next morning, and the murder weapon is one of Trevor's tools, Trevor becomes the chief suspect. Not believing in his guilt, Persia sets out to clear her employee and in the process nearly loses her own life. Since Lydia was such an abrasive personality and she had made so many enemies, it is difficult to choose just one person as the murderer and as the clues are revealed, the reader is able to solve the murder right along with Persia. I had to run out and get the next one, I enjoyed this one so much. ( )
  cyderry | May 30, 2009 |
India Ink is a pen name of Yasmine Galenorn who has written both non-fiction on witchcraft and urban fantasy fiction. This is the first in a series of books she has written in a mystery series that includes beauty and spa tips which I do aim to try out!

Persia Vanderbilt has moved back to live with her Aunt in Gull Harbor, Washington, after her boyfriend was imprisoned for fraud and embezzelment. At her new home she works for her Aunt in Venus Envy where she uses her exceptional nose to brew new perfumes, bath oils and all manner of lovely pampering spa treatments. On the side she also teaches self defence and has been doing martial arts training for many years.

What was once a sleepy town is rocked when Queen Bitch and beauty contest winner Lydia Wang is murdered in the shop and a gift to Persia, Aphrodite's Mirror, is stolen. Trevor (Lydia's ex boyfriend and Peria's friend) is arrested for the murder and things do not look good for him. Persia and her Aunt believe he is innocent and set out to prove it, following clues and poking their noses in around the town and in Seattle.

I enjoyed this book, it was a fun and short read. I don't usually read mystery novels and I loved that it combined real beauty tips to try out at home. Persia makes a good heroine and role model, appreciating beauty in everyone and not conforming to the sterotypes out there in the media. I will continue with the series as well as find time for her urban fantasy series in the near future hopefully. ( )
  Rhinoa | Oct 15, 2008 |
Thirty-something Persia Rose Vanderbilt has cobbled together a lifestyle that involves a eclectic mix of jobs utilizing her special skills: aromatherapy, yoga and self-defense. Her main job is working in her Aunt Florence’s bath and body shop/day spa, Venus Envy in Gull Harbor, Washington.

But when an obnoxious local beauty queen is murdered in Venus Envy and Trevor Wilson, Aunt Florence’s gardener, is arrested for it, Persia decides to do a little snooping of her own to find the real murderer. While the local police chief amasses some pretty convincing evidence against Trevor, Persia’s faith that Trev is innocent wavers, but not Aunt Florence’s. So Persia soldiers on.

Scent to Her Grave signals the start of what could be a long-lived series. It has all the elements: a strong and appealing heroine, eccentric but somewhat believable secondary characters, and great sensory detail (especially the sense of smell). Scent to Her Grave has some quirks, however, that I found annoying – and that kept me from wholeheartedly enjoying it. I’m not a great fan of profanity in cozies and Scent to Her Grave contained a very few that I found jarring. I thought Persia’s frequent references (in the narrative) to her Aunt Florence as “Auntie” seemed childish -- I just didn’t buy it from a mature woman. (Some readers may find the “recipes” for scented oils and bath products a plus.)

I also didn’t buy “India Ink” as a real name – and, of course, it isn’t. It’s a nom de plume of Yasmine Galenorn, who also writes fantasies, poetry and non-fiction on metaphysical topics.

First published in Mystery News, Oct-Nov 2005 issue. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 23, 2007 |
My name is Persia Vanderbilt, and I bill myself as a sensory specialist.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425205339, Mass Market Paperback)

From custom blended oils to relaxing spa services, the store Venus Envy takes care of all the beauty needs of Gull Harbor, Washington. Behind the counter is Persia Vanderbilt, a woman with a nose for mixing scents--and a mind for solving murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:25 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible