Therapy by Jonathan Kellerman

Therapy (2004)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Series: Alex Delaware (18)

When a series of murders are connected with a shadowy psychology practice, Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis must immerse themselves in a world of manipulation and unethical "therapeutic" practices. Delaware must bring his moral clarity to bear on these wrongs, and do his best to see them righted.

English (26)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
I have decided to go back and read some authors I like, but haven't read in awhile. I used to read a lot of Jonathan Kellerman books. This was another good one. I guess I missed a couple of books, because I didn't know Alex and Robin had broken up. I was a little saddened by this, because I liked their relationship.

The actual mystery in this book was a little confusing. Too many suspects, and a really convoluted relationship between them all. I never felt there was much closure on why Gavin, the first victim, was murdered. And the ending scene, in the park, was a little bit hard to believe. Still, I enjoyed reading it, and will seek out more books in the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I have been trying to read all the Alex Delaware books in order and have been enjoying the series, but this book was quite convoluted and I lost interest in a couple of areas. Alex and Milo get involved in a murder of a young couple and through the investigation think it ties into a murder of a woman from a year earlier. The psychologist, who the young man was seeing to deal with a closed head injury, also turns up dead. A Rawandan investigator turns up and he is following one of the suspects that Milo and Alex are watching. Medical fraud becomes involved and it is rather tangled up. The ending was not what I expected at all but overall, I did enjoy it and will read more from the series. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
There are several reasons why buying a book in paperback is so much more worthwhile than going straight for the hardback. A paperback book is easy to lug around and fits nicely in my purse. A paperback is less expensive to buy, and if it is not quite as good as I had hoped, I feel less guilty about spending money on it than I do if I buy the book in the hardback edition. And yet, when an author I really like comes out with a new book, I can hardly wait to read the latest book, especially when I’ve come to the end of the series and am waiting on that one particular book that was just published.

It was because of this that I jumped right at the chance to pick up a copy of Jonathan Kellerman’s Therapy. Over the years, I have grown quite fond of Mr. Kellerman’s characters: Milo Sturgis, the gay macho homicide detective who likes to eat, and Alex Delaware, the child psychologist who is a police consultant and sometimes-amateur detective. Therapy began well, the story evolving and growing into a promising suspenseful mystery as Milo and Alex try to unravel the motive behind the death of two young lovers and discover who the murderer might be. More death follows when the therapist who had been treating the murdered young man turns up dead herself, the victim of the same murderer. As Milo and Alex dig deeper into the lives of those who knew the victims and try to learn the identity of the young woman impaled with a spear along side the murdered young man, they uncover a conspiracy of fraud and deceit.

Unlike previous books by Mr. Kellerman, this one seemed to involve more discussion between the main characters about the motive of the crimes and the suspects and was less about the investigation itself. The appearance of an African man accusing one of the suspects of being involved with the murder of two young boys in Rwanda seemed a little off course from the story. And while the murders of the young couple and the therapist came to a predictable conclusion, what was to follow seemed a little far-fetched, not really fitting in well with the rest of the story. While I am glad to have the latest Jonathan Kellerman book behind me, I cannot help but think I should have waiting for it to come out in paperback.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
Started off fine but lost interest halfway through. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Jan 18, 2016 |
Jonathan Kellerman has made the psychological thriller his own gripping province with his bestselling series of Alex Delaware novels. Now, Delaware’s new adventure leads the sleuthing psychologist on a harrowing exploration into the realm he knows best: the human psyche, in all its complexity, mystery, and terrifying propensity for darkness.

“Been a while since I had me a nice little whodunit,” homicide detective Milo Sturgis tells Alex Delaware.... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paloméra, Marie-France deTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubinstein, JohnReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Warren Zevon.
Special thanks to Dr. Leah Ellenberg.
A few years ago a psychopath burned down my house.
"Het is moeilijk genoeg," zei hij, "maar ik doe m'n best."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,777,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible