Therapy by Jonathan Kellerman

Therapy (2004)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Series: Alex Delaware (18)

English (24)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (26)
There are several reasons why buying a book in paperback is so much more worthwhile than going straight for the hardback. A paperback book is easy to lug around and fits nicely in my purse. A paperback is less expensive to buy, and if it is not quite as good as I had hoped, I feel less guilty about spending money on it than I do if I buy the book in the hardback edition. And yet, when an author I really like comes out with a new book, I can hardly wait to read the latest book, especially when I’ve come to the end of the series and am waiting on that one particular book that was just published.

It was because of this that I jumped right at the chance to pick up a copy of Jonathan Kellerman’s Therapy. Over the years, I have grown quite fond of Mr. Kellerman’s characters: Milo Sturgis, the gay macho homicide detective who likes to eat, and Alex Delaware, the child psychologist who is a police consultant and sometimes-amateur detective. Therapy began well, the story evolving and growing into a promising suspenseful mystery as Milo and Alex try to unravel the motive behind the death of two young lovers and discover who the murderer might be. More death follows when the therapist who had been treating the murdered young man turns up dead herself, the victim of the same murderer. As Milo and Alex dig deeper into the lives of those who knew the victims and try to learn the identity of the young woman impaled with a spear along side the murdered young man, they uncover a conspiracy of fraud and deceit.

Unlike previous books by Mr. Kellerman, this one seemed to involve more discussion between the main characters about the motive of the crimes and the suspects and was less about the investigation itself. The appearance of an African man accusing one of the suspects of being involved with the murder of two young boys in Rwanda seemed a little off course from the story. And while the murders of the young couple and the therapist came to a predictable conclusion, what was to follow seemed a little far-fetched, not really fitting in well with the rest of the story. While I am glad to have the latest Jonathan Kellerman book behind me, I cannot help but think I should have waiting for it to come out in paperback.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
Started off fine but lost interest halfway through. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Jan 18, 2016 |
Jonathan Kellerman has made the psychological thriller his own gripping province with his bestselling series of Alex Delaware novels. Now, Delaware’s new adventure leads the sleuthing psychologist on a harrowing exploration into the realm he knows best: the human psyche, in all its complexity, mystery, and terrifying propensity for darkness.

Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |
A methodical crime procedural which whilst paced rather slowly still has a pretty good plot.

The wrap up of the story became a little far fetched, however the development and investigation phase of the plot were both interesting and at least somewhat realistic.

Some paragraph openings reminded me a little of 1950s hard boiled detective shows with a jaded narrator which were certainly atmospheric albeit a little at odds with the feel of the rest of the novel.

Overall, upper end of the mid-range crime novel genre. Won't keep you up all night wanting to turn the pages, but not terrible either. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Apr 16, 2014 |
Kellerman returns to series hero Alex Delaware after last year's gripping stand-alone, The Conspiracy Club. The success of the long-running Delaware series is testament to both the author's skills and the reading public's hunger for mysteries featuring compassionate, intelligent protagonists, interesting secondary characters (including complex villains), strong plot lines and clear, unpretentious writing. Kellerman delivers all these once again in a tale that opens with Alex at dinner with his best friend, L.A. police lieutenant Milo Sturgis, when the sound of a police siren calls them to a nearby double homicide. The two victims are found in a Mustang convertible; the young man's zipper is open, the young woman's pants are down and each has a bullet in the brain. The man is identified as Gavin Quick, but little is known about the woman other than she's wearing Armani perfume and Jimmy Choo shoes. Milo and Alex interview Gavin Quick's nutty mother, Sheila, and his father, Jerry, a metals dealer and all-around shady character, as well as Gavin's therapist, Mary Lou Koppel. From there, the list of characters branches into an ever-widening delta of suspects and dead bodies. The investigation marches relentlessly on as Milo and Alex run each new lead to ground, slowly constructing an intricate motive that includes abusive boyfriends, eccentric ex-husbands, Medi-Cal fraud, a bent parole officer and Rwandan genocide. This one's more methodical than suspenseful and the final shoot-out and revelations feel tacked on, but fans won't mind as Alex and Milo eventually wrap everything up nicely, and Kellerman provides intriguing details of Alex's new love interest, Allison Gwynn.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paloméra, Marie-France deTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubinstein, JohnReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Warren Zevon.
Special thanks to Dr. Leah Ellenberg.
A few years ago a psychopath burned down my house.
"Het is moeilijk genoeg," zei hij, "maar ik doe m'n best."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345452607, Mass Market Paperback)

“Been a while since I had me a nice little whodunit,” homicide detective Milo Sturgis tells Alex Delaware. But there’s definitely nothing nice about the brutal tableau behind the yellow crime-scene tape. On a lonely lover’s lane in the hills of Los Angeles, a young couple lies murdered in a car. Each bears a single gunshot wound to the head. The female victim has also been impaled by a metal spike. And that savage stroke of psychopathic fury tells Milo this case will call for more than standard police procedure. As he explains to Delaware, “Now we’re veering into your territory.”

It is dark territory, indeed. The dead woman remains unidentified and seemingly unknown to everyone. But her companion has a name: Gavin Quick—and his troubled past eventually landed him on a therapist’s couch. It’s there, on familiar turf, that Delaware hopes to find vital clues. And that means going head-to-head with Dr. Mary Lou Koppel, a popular celebrity psychologist who fiercely guards the privacy of her clients . . . dead or alive.

But when there’s another gruesomely familiar murder, Delaware surmises that his investigation has struck a nerve. As he trolls the twisted wreckage of Quick’s tormented last days, what he finds isn’t madness, but the cold-blooded method behind it. And as he follows a chain of greed, corruption, and betrayal snaking hideously through the profession he thought he knew, he’ll discover territory where even he never dreamed of treading.

As provocative as it is suspenseful, Therapy is premier Kellerman that finds the award-winning author firing on all creative cylinders—and carrying readers on an electrifying ride to a place only he can take them, for an experience they won’t soon forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

Alex Delaware has the psychologist probing a double murder. A siren lures Delaware and his friend, homicide cop Milo Sturgis, from dinner to a crime scene. An unzipped man and a half-naked woman have been found dead in a convertible parked in the driveway of an empty house. The woman's identity remains a mystery, so the murdered man, Gavin Quick, provides most of the leads, including the man's famous--and close-mouthed--therapist, psychologist Dr. Mary Lou Koppel… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,822,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible