The Taming of the Duke by Eloisa James

The Taming of the Duke (2006)

by Eloisa James (Author)

Recently added byrarm, Picarina, lilucy83, kybunnies, grapeapril75, Hollie1122, Bugetta, Nazgullie, astasin, private library

What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN TO READ!

Ok, a little bit of background. I have a deep love for Victorian and early English literature. I feel like I was a little backwards in my love for literature, in the sense that when my peers were reading fairytales and C.S. Lewis, I was sleeping with a well worn copy of Wuthering Heights, and Jane Eyre under my pillow.

I love Victorian literature. So what can be better than Victorian literature than historically correct Victorian romance with sex and all? I tell ya. I eat it all up.

Firstly, I found that James wrote this novel as it would have appeared in a Victorian text, the language is a bit antiquated, but not in a way that doesn't vanish the minute you get into the story. The characters are very well written. Like the Bronte's characters, Jame's characters are very flawed and have some very serious problems. They are passionate and vulnerable, and suffer. The novel is also historically accurate which makes me so excited you have no idea. I cannot wait to get my hands on her other novels

I began reading the book in the early afternoon and only briefly put it down for a few hours so that I could get some work done, then I went right back to it.

LOVE IT. ( )
  Nazgullie | Sep 11, 2014 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
I can't get my book Sticks and Stones by Lynn Hall to appear outside my library. It won't appear under the author listing and the work listing for the book is under the title The Taming of the Duke. This is seriously messed up and I don't know how to exorcise "The Duke" from its association with this clearly separate work.
I think Sticks and Stones by Lynn Hall, is finally untangled from The Taming of the Duke by Eloisa James. June 2008

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060781580, Mass Market Paperback)

Imogen, Lady Maitland, has decided to dance on the wild side. After all, she's in the delicious position of being able to take a lover. A discreet male who knows just when to leave in the morning.

But Lady Maitland is still under the watchful eye of her former guardian, the wildly untamed Rafe, the Duke of Holbrook. He believes she is still in need of a "watchdog." She laughs at the idea that someone so insufferably lazy and devoted to drink can demand that she behave with propriety.

It's Rafe's long-lost brother, a man who looks precisely like the duke but with none of his degenerate edge, who interests Imogen. To Imogen, he's the shadow duke . . . the man who really should hold the title. But when Imogen agrees to accompany Gabe to a masquerade...whose masked eyes watch her with that intense look of desire? Who exactly is she dancing with? The duke or the shadow duke? Rafe . . . or Gabe?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:05 -0400)

New York Times bestselling author.

"Truly delectable. James' writing is graceful and witty, her plot delightfully clever, and her characterization - including the captivating Miss Gillian Pythian-Adams - is nothing less than brilliant." - Booklist, starred.

"James's considerable talents for clever prose and tight, breezy plotting are on full display, promising a perennial delight in each coming adventure of the Essex sisters." - Publishers Weekly.

Imogen, Lady Maitland, has decided to dance on the wild side. After all, she's in the delicious position of being able to take a lover ' a discreet male who knows when to leave. But her former guardian, the wild, untamed Rafe, Duke of Holbrook, is still watching her closely. How could someone so insufferably lazy and devoted to drink demand that Imogen behave? It's Rafe's long-lost look-alike brother, Gabe, who interests Imogen. But when Imogen agrees to accompany Gabe to a masquerade, whose masked eyes are watching her with intense desire? Who is she actually dancing with? Rafe or Gabe?

By now, romance readers have all heard the buzz about Eloisa James's double life as a bestselling romance author - and a university English professor. In hiding or not, Eloisa writes some of the romance genre's most sparkling love stories.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible