Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge

Rainbows End (2006)

by Vernor Vinge

The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Anonymous user)
    Makers by Cory Doctorow (hairball)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (sdobie)
    sdobie: Near future thriller in an always-online world.
    Interface by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    The Cobweb by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Accelerando by Charles Stross (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Extrapolation of how we interact with our informational devices and the digital world is an interesting done theme in both works.
    Radio Freefall by Matthew Jarpe (psybre)

English (78)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (80)
There are a whole lot of ideas being thrown around here, and a whole bunch of plot threads left dangling by the end. Overall I thought it was sort of a mess of a book, albeit a fun mess.

I thought there was a missed narrative opportunity with the main character getting treatment that made him appear and feel young again. The fact that he is an old man forced to relearn the world is harped on repeatedly, but the fact that he's an old man in a teenager's body is left unexplored. Oh well, maybe Vinge will use that angle in the clearly envisioned sequel. ( )
  BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |
This book has a great big list of characteristics I usually love in books, but for some reason, it just didn't quite add up.

Here is what it has: a near-future setting that thoughtfully examines the implications of technology we are developing now (especially augmented reality); a mysterious, powerful, impish character who wreaks havoc (and might be an artificial intelligence); children and other underdogs who save the day; an absolutely ape-shit climax where lots of things go totally haywire and everything is totally utterly ridiculous; references to contemporary geek culture (Terry Pratchett!).

But somehow, despite having that list of great characteristics, I just wasn't sucked in. I can't put my finger on what it was... perhaps I missed a few details at the beginning... it was also one of those books where I kept having to pause to ask myself, "wait, why are the characters doing this?" so perhaps the plot was a little convoluted. Whatever it was, this book just didn't quite come together for me. ( )
  Gwendydd | Sep 7, 2014 |
Near-future novel set in 2025. Augmented reality - implemented by smart clothing and contact lenses - has become ubiquitous, but is also a tool for controlling others. Noah Smith sold this book as being about future labor markets where seniority rules do not apply and older people must go back to high school, but to me it was mostly a confusing mix of conspiracies, literature nostalgia and family affairs. It did not catch me. ( )
  ohernaes | Jun 20, 2014 |
A fun look at a possible future that seems eerily possible. ( )
  chaosmogony | Apr 27, 2013 |
I remember hearing a lot about this, somewhere, at some point, so I picked it up in the library. I was rather bored in the first fifty pages, but decided to keep on going to a hundred pages and see if I could get on with it once the plot got going. But it's so heinously slow, and Robert Gu's mind is not one I want to be familiar with -- his obsession with his granddaughter being overweight, in the early chapters, and the sentence, "It was hard to dominate people when you didn't know what they were talking about." Not a person I can get on with, even as a character in a novel. And then there's the dismissal of ebooks stuff going on, which as the daughter of someone who can only read ebooks comes like a slap in the face.

The technology and so on is interesting, but not that different to a lot of what's out there in cyberpunk and even mainstream spec-fic. It feels somehow dated, already, even though it was first published in 2006. And the prose is, oh my goodness, boring doesn't cover it. Stultifying is a nice word that just about does it. There was nothing there which -- for me anyway -- elevated it even above the level of Dan Brown, for goodness sake. Well, at least Dan Brown is readable.

There's a scene where Robert Gu is eating, and all the food seems tasteless to him. That's what I make of this novel, pretty much.

It seems to be a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it novel, judging from the spread of reviews I glanced over when deciding whether to continue. I'm in the latter camp, I fear, and won't spend any more time on it. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Vernor Vingeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martinere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Internet-based cognitive tools that are changing our lives--Wikipedia, Google, eBay, and the others of their kind, now and in the future
The first bit of dumb luck came disguised as a public embarrassment for the European Center for Defense Against Disease.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812536363, Mass Market Paperback)

Four time Hugo Award winner Vernor Vinge has taken readers to the depths of space and into the far future in his bestselling novels A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. Now, he has written a science-fiction thriller set in a place and time as exciting and strange as any far-future world: San Diego, California, 2025.

Robert Gu is a recovering Alzheimer's patient. The world that he remembers was much as we know it today. Now, as he regains his faculties through a cure developed during the years of his near-fatal decline, he discovers that the world has changed and so has his place in it. He was a world-renowned poet. Now he is seventy-five years old, though by a medical miracle he looks much younger, and he's starting over, for the first time unsure of his poetic gifts. Living with his son's family, he has no choice but to learn how to cope with a new information age in which the virtual and the real are a seamless continuum, layers of reality built on digital views seen by a single person or millions, depending on your choice. But the consensus reality of the digital world is available only if, like his thirteen-year-old granddaughter Miri, you know how to wear your wireless access--through nodes designed into smart clothes--and to see the digital context--through smart contact lenses.

With knowledge comes risk. When Robert begins to re-train at Fairmont High, learning with other older people what is second nature to Miri and other teens at school, he unwittingly becomes part of a wide-ranging conspiracy to use technology as a tool for world domination.

In a world where every computer chip has Homeland Security built-in, this conspiracy is something that baffles even the most sophisticated security analysts, including Robert's son and daughter-in law, two top people in the U.S. military. And even Miri, in her attempts to protect her grandfather, may be entangled in the plot.

As Robert becomes more deeply involved in conspiracy, he is shocked to learn of a radical change planned for the UCSD Geisel Library; all the books there, and worldwide, would cease to physically exist. He and his fellow re-trainees feel compelled to join protests against the change. With forces around the world converging on San Diego, both the conspiracy and the protest climax in a spectacular moment as unique and satisfying as it is unexpected. This is science fiction at its very best, by a master storyteller at his peak.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:57 -0400)

In a near-future western civilization that is threatened by corruptive practices within its technologically advanced information networks, a recovered Alzheimer's victim and his family are caught up in a dangerous maelstrom beyond their worst imaginings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible