The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only…

The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family (edition 2007)

by John Lithgow, John Lithgow (Reader)

Member:psutto
Title:The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family
Authors:John Lithgow
Other authors:John Lithgow (Reader)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Edition: 1 Har/MP3, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family by John Lithgow

I really enjoyed this. I have always believe that poetry is mean to be listened to. I listened to this while reading it and think this has a lot to do with my rating. A fabulous overview of poetry in English, classical to modern. The CD comes with the print version, but not Kindle version. I used an Audible credit to get the audio, and am glad I did. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
I listened to this with my true love and grown stepdaughter. The three of us have wildly divergent tastes and very different levels of familiarity with poetry. We all adored it. Lithgow's passionate introductions to the poems and his capsule biographies of the poets are stellar. The readers, who include Glenn Close, Susan Sarandon and Morgan Freeman, are very, very good. The selection is heavily male with the usual exceptions (Moore, Stein, Millay, Browning & a few others) and primarily dead white guys at that. It's still amazingly great, and a wonderful introduction for people hesitant to dive into the deeps unescorted. It's a treat for the poetry lover as well. Highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Wow!!! What a joy to read. I did not read much poetry in school or college. Mr. Lithgow caught me up with this wonderful primer. There were times I wished he had featured current poetry stars but I am glad of the choices that he selected. It makes me want to check out the book again and read the authors works along what Mr. Lithgow said about them. ( )
  seki | Oct 13, 2011 |
Actor and author John Lithgow presents poems by many of his favorite poets, enhancing the listener’s experience with biographical and critical commentary.

Lithgow provides an inviting introduction to the work of his favorite poets. For each poet he sketches a brief biography, including critical comments on the poet’s work and place in the literary world. He follows the biography with a reading and discussion of one poem, and concludes by reading another poem and listing favorite poems of the poet. Lithogow provides a pithy tag for each poet (William Blake is “the mystical visionary”, Matthew Arnold the “serious poet”), and intriguing background details (Ogden Nash was a member of the family for whom Nashville was named).

Lithogow narrates the commentary and reads some of the poems; he wisely enlists the aid of others (including Jodie Foster, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren) to vary the poetry readings.
Their voices and interpretations keep the listener’s interest. It is both puzzling and unfortunate that Lithgow chose to present the poets in alphabetical rather than chronological order. Using chronological order would have made it easier for listeners to comprehend the influence of poets upon one another and the changes in poetical style and approach over time. It might also have inspired Lithgow to sharpen his focus on this fascinating aspect of his presentation. ( )
  Froglily | Oct 16, 2010 |
This is a review of the audio book, narrated by John Lithgow, with several different readers, to include Morgan Freeman, Gary Sinise, Kathy Bates, and Sam Waterston reading the poems. John Lithgow chose the poems and wrote the introductions to each of them. He includes 50 poems by poets such as William Blake, Edgar Allen Poe, Marianne Moore, and Hart Crane, and provides a brief biography of each poet as well as comments about their styles and why the poems affected him.

I highly recommend this book in audio format. Almost all of the poems are well selected, and the readings are outstanding. This is one you could listen to over and over again, and not get tired of. The only poets I didn’t enjoy were Whitman and Gertrude Stein. I’ve never liked Whitman, and though I had never read a Stein poem before, the example given here (something she wrote and dedicated to Picasso) doesn’t incline me to want to read any others of hers. I really enjoyed the selection by Hart Crane (To Brooklyn Bridge) – I don’t remember ever reading any of his poems before. Other memorable readings: Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll, The Tyger by William Blake, if everything happens that can’t be done by E. E. Cummings, and There is No Frigate Like a Book by Emily Dickinson. Two of my favorite poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay and Marianne Moore are included, but neither of Lithgow’s selected poems were favorites of mine. In fact one of my quibbles with the book is that, while all the other poets get two poems read, Millay only gets one! The other major quibble I have is that Robert Service wasn’t included. The poems are arranged alphabetically by the authors’ last names, and I waited for most of the book to hear some fabulous voice read The Cremation of Sam McGee only to be disappointed by the questionable choice of Gertrude Stein. Of course, I do realize that Lithgow couldn’t include everyone, but I don’t understand why he included her.

Overall, though, a wonderful book! ( )
  janoorani24 | Apr 13, 2010 |

John Lithgowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glenn CloseNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sarandon, SusanNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From listening to his grandmother recite epic poems from memory to curling up in bed while his father read funny verses, award-winning actor John Lithgow grew up with poetry. Ever since, John has been an enthusiastic seeker of poetic experience, whether reading, reciting, or listening to great poems.

The wide variety of carefully selected poems in this book provides the perfect introduction to appeal to readers new to poetry, and for poetry lovers to experience beloved verses in a fresh, vivid way. William Blake, Emily Dickinson, Edgar Allan Poe, and Dylan Thomas are just a few names among Lithgow's comprehensive list of poetry masters. His essential criterion is that "each poem's light shines more brightly when read aloud." This unique package provides a multimedia poetry experience with a bonus MP3 CD of revelatory poetry readings by John and the familiar voices of such notable performers as Eileen Atkins, Kathy Bates, Glenn Close, Billy Connolly, Jodie Foster, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Lynn Redgrave, Susan Sarandon, Gary Sinise, and Sam Waterston.

Every reader will enjoy reciting or listening to these poems with the entire family, appreciating how each one comes to life through the spoken word in this superlative poetry collection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:03 -0400)

"John Lithgow has hand-picked some of the best poems ever written in this quintessential collection for the whole family to treasure"--Provided by publisher.

10 wanted2 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,798,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible