Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein

Member:lilygirl
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Harper Collins (1996), Hardcover
Tags:poetry, young adult, box 2

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

a collection of timeless poems by Shel Silverstein.
  KassRuiz | Dec 3, 2015 |
This book illustrates how each child's imagination works. It tell how in children's mind there is no putting stop to how they think and imagine how the world works. Their minds can not be stopped from creating beautiful and fun poems.

Personal Reaction: Children would love these poem because if the fun and silly things that happen. This book can also help children learn about rhyming there words.
Class Extension: Have children make their own rhyming poems
Have the student pick a partner and act out their poems.
  rocquel | Nov 29, 2015 |
Another of my favorite books of poetry written by Shel Silverstein. This book is very similar to the other classic Where the Sidewalk Ends. I like books of poetry such as these for two main reasons, humor and quality illustrations. The poems with in this book are accompanied by drawings that are directly related to the content. All the poems in this book do not rhyme but they are short and sweet which is commonly interesting to a younger audience. The illustrations in this book sometime leave clues as to the underlying meaning of the poem or even contradict what the poem is saying. My favorite poem in this book is called Have Fun. In this poem it says," Have Fun, It's safe to swim. In Pemrose Park. I guarantee. There are no sharks." However the illustration accompanying this poem shows a girl swimming and underneath the water there may not be a shark but there is an octopus. The choice of illustrations along with each poem adds interest and entertained me throughout my reading of this book. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Nov 28, 2015 |
Summary:
This book has several different poems in it. They're all about completely different things like, a human balloon, a girl with 20 eels a dancing bear and a nose garden. They're all very creative and rhythmic.

Personal Reaction:
I have always loved Shel Silverstein books. The random and silly things that happen in these poems are perfect for children. His creativity with his poems and rhymes would really help children enjoy learning about rhyming.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
-Make a madlib center for children to make their own poems.
-As a group, the students make up a silly poem or write one in their journals.
  Megan_Livsey | Nov 25, 2015 |
The message behind this book to appreciate different types of poetry.
I really enjoyed this collection of poetry because it shows the different types of poetry that can be written. Many young children think that poetry has to rhyme or be about beautiful things in life but this collection of poetry shows students that poems can be about anything.
I also really enjoyed the small illustrations that are on the pages. They are not big and bulky but they are small and add just enough to the page to make the poems seem a tad more interesting. Even though the illustrations are wild and draw attention, they do not take away from the importance of the poems. It was fun to see how the different illustrations matched with the poems. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 20, 2015 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible