Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein

4,800161966 (4.25)24
Member:lilygirl
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Harper Collins (1996), Hardcover
Tags:poetry, young adult, box 2

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

English (159)  Spanish (1)  All (160)
Falling Up by Shel Silverstein is a personal favorite of mine for three reasons: the illustrations, the unconventional poems and the hilarity found throughout the poems and illustrations. The illustrations are black and white presented on thick, cream colored pages the juxtapose the poems they are depicting. The poems are unconventional in nature and this fact can draw in various types of readers. Falling Up contains a collection of the most nonsensical and zaniest poems a reader can hope for. Importantly, they are hilarious and keep the audience smiling, giggling and laughing. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good laugh and an appreciation of poetry. ( )
  mkenne29 | Mar 25, 2017 |
Summary: This book is made up of many unrelated poems, some short, some long. The poems are not related to one another, rather more of a collection.
Critique of Genre: Poetry
Age: Primary, intermediate, middle school, and high school ( )
  Morrowm | Mar 9, 2017 |
I still remember my teacher Mr. Rodriguez reading this book to the class. This book has a variety of different poems and it should be read in the classroom and at home. It has something for everyone! The simplistic illustrations allow the reader to have a foundation of an image when reading the poems. This is purely out of imagination and the limitless possibilities that children have in their minds. As an adult I was able to understand some of the poems a bit more than when I was younger. For example, "Tell me I'm clever, tell me I'm kind, tell me I'm talented, tell me I'm cute, tell me I'm sensitive, graceful and wise, tell me I'm perfect, but tell me the truth." ( )
  Sthefania | Jan 27, 2017 |
Shel Silverstein was one of my favorite authors as a child, he introduced me to poetry and certainly helped significantly in nourishing my love of books and reading. I will always hold fond memories of all of his books very near and dear to my heart and Falling Up is certainly no exception. I was in sixth grade when this book was published and I think it was the last book by Silverstein that I acquired but certainly not the least. After reading through this book again as an adult it brought back so many memories and emotions of my childhood and tween years, with such nostalgia, and I found I could still recite some of his poetry by heart because they were so ingrained upon me. Not only is the writing, in and of itself, fantastic, the illustrations are also absolutely wonderful and provide an excellent visual aid for a developing imagination.

This is just such a wonderful book for children of any age as well as a book that parents can enjoy while reading with their little ones. I think that Falling Up, as well as any publication by Shel Silverstein, is an essential addition to every child's library. It's a timeless classic that they will love and cherish well into adulthood and one day read with their own children, and grandchildren, for years to come. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
a group of silly poems about a large variety of silly topics

1 book
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

Critique of Genre: Poetry
Age: Primary, intermediate, middle school, and high school

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible