Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein

4,2071251,186 (4.24)19
Member:lilygirl
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:
Tags:poetry, young adult, box 2

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Shel Silverstein is always brilliant! His rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This book is a collection of 144 poems. The poems all feature awesome illustrations to go along with the poems. The poems and illustrations vary throughout the book and touch on many topics.
  astinchavez | Sep 26, 2014 |
This book is a wonderful poetry book that uses illustrations in tandem with poems to teach life lessons, new perspectives, and to even give you a giggle. I think this book is wonderful, and appropriate and enjoyable for children age 5, all the way to adults. ( )
  nphernetton | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is a collection of children's poems written by Shel Silverstein. The poems are mostly of a silly and humorous nature. I have loved this collection since I received it as a present from a close family friend who was moving away. I think the funny aspect of the poems will catch the children's attention and the sound aspects in many of the poems (rhyming, alliteration, onomatopoeia, etc.) will provide an interesting and engaging base to add to my lessons on those topics. I think it would be suitable to use for children ages 5 and up.
  JeniseRedding | Sep 19, 2014 |
Summary of book: This is another poetry book from the collection of Shel Silverstein. It includes poems, short stories and pictures all done by Silverstein. It has an index- but the poems just flow from page to page. Every page has a drawing that usually goes with the poem on the same page. The poems are funny and thoughtful and very easy for children to read.

Personal reaction: This was another book that my mother read to me as a child. Our favorite from this book is "Sunhat" because the little girl has a huge hat the frogs and worms can be shaded from the sun under. Like his other books, these poems are the perfect length for children because they are not too long and they all have funny pictures to go along with it.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would ask the children to look around the room- pick any item they choose and write a small poem about it.
2. I would have my students start a sort of poem circle where one student would write one line of the poem, then the next student would write the next line and so on. ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 17, 2014 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,373,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible