Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein

4,053None1,251 (4.24)18
Member:lilygirl
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Harper Collins (1996), Hardcover
Tags:poetry, young adult, box 2

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

(12) American (17) American poetry (15) childhood (13) children (117) children's (207) children's book (12) children's books (34) children's literature (74) children's poetry (54) classic (18) fiction (112) funny (35) hardcover (36) humor (198) illustrated (36) illustrations (14) juvenile (26) kids (32) own (30) picture book (26) poems (74) poetry (1,003) read (64) rhyme (22) rhyming (16) Shel Silverstein (53) silly (15) Silverstein (26) young adult (24)

Summary: This is a book of creative play on words and puns that turn everyday events and ideas into poetry. Shel Silverstein uses alliteration, as well as exaggeration among other things to express his many ideas in poetic form. This is a great example of the fact that you can put anything you want to say into poetry.

Personal Reaction: I love Shel Silverstein and the way he creatively expresses an idea that you may never have considered. The crazy, imaginative topics that he uses challenge you to think outside the box. The illustrations in the book are just as imaginative, in fact I am often not sure which came first the poem or the illustration. There are various lengths of poems as well as styles in this book so everyone is sure to find something they like. My personal favorites are the ones that include some element of realism. Peoplezoo is one of my favorites because I had never thought about a zoo that way. I also enjoyed Bituminous putting real world scientific vocabulary into fun literature is incredible and challenges children to dig deeper, while at the same time learning that science is fun.

Classroom Extension:
1. This is an obvious choice for an introduction to poetry. Children will see the many different elements of poetry in his book and can adapt to any style in writing their own poem.
2. Perhaps taking an illustration and writing a poem based on the illustration would be fun for students. I especially like the idea of giving them an opportunity to draw anything they like and then having them write a poem about it, having not known that was why they were drawing the picture it is sure to be interesting.
  msmarymac | Mar 24, 2014 |
Not quite as good as "Where the Sidewalk Ends" or " A Light in the Attic", "Falling Up" still brings that unique and uproarious sense of humor to this collection of poems. ( )
  BryanCaron | Jan 4, 2014 |
I really love reading this author Shel Silverstein's. His poetry book, “Falling Up” has some great poems. The poems are funny, full of description and allow the readers imagination run wild. One characteristic of “Falling Up” that I enjoyed as a reader were the illustrations. The illustrations were relevant to the poetry and often told a story in their own. ( )
  anita.curry | Dec 8, 2013 |
I love reading author Shel Silverstein's poetry book, “Falling Up”. The poems are funny, full of description and allude to the readers imagination. One characteristic of “Falling Up” that I enjoyed as a reader were the illustrations. The illustrations were relevant to the poetry and often told a story in their own. One illustration that I really enjoyed was the illustration from the cover page as well as one of the poems titled, “Falling Up”. The image shows a child who has tripped over their shoe laces and is falling over the city, mountains and tree tops. I thought it was funny that the poem began by noting that the child tripped over his shoe laces and “fell up”, but when he got dizzy from being above the city, mountains and trees, he “threw down”. Another characteristic of this text that I enjoyed was the variation in the style of font. The differentiated fonts made the various stories come to life. The different fonts allowed the reader to perceive the text differently in ways that they would not have seen with a standard font. Overall, I feel the illustrations and creative writing allowed me to embrace poetry and encouraged me to read between the lines. ( )
  NoahGray | Nov 25, 2013 |
Summary: Falling Up is an assortment of poems. The poems are children friendly because many children can relate. The words in the poems are easy to read and cause your imagination to go wild.

Personal reaction: I enjoyed reading this book now and I enjoyed reading it as a child, too. The poems are so vivid that they and different that it makes you think outside of the box.

Classroom Extension:
1)Write poems in class
2)Pick a poem from the book and have the students draw what they think is going on ( )
  KelseyBelden | Nov 19, 2013 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible