Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:choose_123_abc
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Edition: 2nd printing, Hardcover, 184 pages
Collections:Your library, Childrens Books
Tags:Hard Cover

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

An absolute classic of poetry for all ages, though especially geared for kids. Nearly every poem in here is witty, fun, and just a good poem! You cannot go wrong with Shel Siverstein. "Why is it" perfectly describes mornings these days, as some clothes just won't fit anymore! I find it amazing that poems I read as a kid are now suddenly making sense as a young adult. ( )
  LisDavid15 | Jul 30, 2015 |
This is a collections of poems about everything from Allison Beals' twenty-five eels and the dancing bear Danny O'Dare. This collection of poems often channel a child's desire for empowerment to gain their attention.

I read all of Shel Silverstein's books when I was younger and this one was my favortie.

1. Children can be asked to model their own poem off of Shel's.
2. Children can be asked to draw their own illustrations for their favorite poem.
3. Children can be taught about synonyms by rewording some of the poems.
  vhein | Jul 22, 2015 |
I love all the Shel Silverstein poetry books because as an intermediate- grades teacher they seem to be easy for the kids to connect with and giggle over, no matter the generation. I remember enjoying some of them myself in elementary school! Two of my favorite poems of all time are in Falling Up: The first being, "Snowball" (of course, in Alaska that's especially relevant!)...
"I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me...."

I won't quote any more as I don't want to infringe on copyrights; not sure of the logistics there... My other favorite is the poem the book is titled over, Falling Up, about a boy who trips on his shoelaces (who doesn't have a student or child of their own that constantly does that?!). I love the last line, "but it got me so dizzy, when I looked around, I got sick to my stomach and I threw down...."
  Amyinalaska | Jul 10, 2015 |
Great book to come to when wanting to incorporate poetry into different lessons. Very witty and will engage students.
  kes030 | Apr 30, 2015 |
In my opinion, this was a great book. Every poem was fun to read and I found myself reading more and more without boredom. The poems were engaging, and easy to read. Topics are about anything and everything which is one of the reasons why Shel Silverstein is such a well known children’s poet. The themes vary throughout the book including humor and depression. The poems are mostly about fictional events and characters that are very out of left field. One poem is about a person who has a foot in his head. These poems can be related to everyday life. His imaginative play on words like “fell up” and “threw down” in the title poem make the writing fun and engaging. I also found myself looking at the small sketches to understand the poems more. They were very simple pen sketches to describe the poem but I feel like they added so much to the poems. ( )
  AliciaTrotman | Apr 28, 2015 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,473,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible