Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:choose_123_abc
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Edition: 2nd printing, Hardcover, 184 pages
Collections:Your library, Childrens Books
Tags:Hard Cover

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Recently added byprivate library, CorinasQuill, PaDutchTravel, Bunderkin, kairih, CarolineMCarrico

Summary of book: This is another poetry book from the collection of Shel Silverstein. It includes poems, short stories and pictures all done by Silverstein. It has an index- but the poems just flow from page to page. Every page has a drawing that usually goes with the poem on the same page. The poems are funny and thoughtful and very easy for children to read.

Personal reaction: This was another book that my mother read to me as a child. Our favorite from this book is "Sunhat" because the little girl has a huge hat the frogs and worms can be shaded from the sun under. Like his other books, these poems are the perfect length for children because they are not too long and they all have funny pictures to go along with it.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would ask the children to look around the room- pick any item they choose and write a small poem about it.
2. I would have my students start a sort of poem circle where one student would write one line of the poem, then the next student would write the next line and so on. ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 17, 2014 |
Who doesn't love Shel Silverstein? Seriously. He makes poetry fun. He's gross, hilarious, and he includes ridiculous pictures. I still love his first two poetry collections more than Falling Up, but that's likely because I read and fell in love with those two books in elementary school. This is just another great volume of poetry and would be a happy addition to the first two in any classroom. I love that his poems vary in length, so that if you assign students to memorize a poem they have a lot of variety to choose from. He also puts a lot of thought into word choice, so that his poems flow easily and are smooth reading. ( )
  mccooln | Jun 8, 2014 |
A great collection of poems, easy for children to read, and liked by boys and girls. Would use this in a little bit older classroom, so they could enjoy it more thorughly. ( )
  mariah21 | May 15, 2014 |
Falling Up By Shel Silverstein, Illustrated by Shel Sivlerstein, published January 1, 1996 by HaperCollins Children’s Books. 178 pages. Falling Up is a children’s Poetry book that combines several poems and Illustrations that children can relate to and laugh at. Falling Up is a specific poem of a girl who trips on her shoe laces and falls up instead of down. I think this book of poems gives readers of all ages a chance to laugh and giggle. It makes reading poems fun and exciting.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
Like usual, I lvoed it. I can't help but love every single book. Great stories! Even through poetry. ( )
  CMJohnson | Apr 28, 2014 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible