Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:choose_123_abc
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Edition: 2nd printing, Hardcover, 184 pages
Collections:Your library, Childrens Books
Tags:Hard Cover

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

English (171)  Spanish (1)  All (172)
Summary: This book is a collection of poems by Shel Silverstein. It has poems about many different topics. There are topics about everything from a man that wears a long scarf because he believes that his head will fall off if he takes it off, to how children should have one day to make all the noise that they want, to how to cross the street safely. Each page has its own poem with unique clank and white drawings that go with the poem.

Personal reaction: I have always loves Shel Silverstein's books, so of course I loved this one when I read it too. I have Where The Sidewalk Ends but I did not know that he had two more similar book until I went to the library to find books. Some of the poems I remembered from when I was a child so it was nice to read those poems again.

Extension ideas:
1. As a teacher, I would read the "Safe" poem to the students, then we would have a lesson about road safety and how to safely cross the road.
2. We would then go outside and we would practice looking both ways before we crossed the road.
3. The next poem that we would read is "Noise Day." I would not be able to resist having the children make as many noise makers as they could out of various items, like water bottles and beans, then we would go outside and we would all make as much noise as we possibly could.
  Shellystanley | Jul 22, 2017 |
"Falling Up" by Shel Silverstein is a great collecttion of poetry written for children to understand. It is also his third and final poetry collection . Mr. Silverstein passed away three years after this book was released. The poems include topics from cereal to a Christmas Dog. This book is sure to please the young readers.
I enjoyed this book because Shel Silverstein once again introduces poems to children in such a clever way. The poems are not hard or complex. The poems are just funny and interesting to young readers.
The activities I would use with this book would be hav the students dray a picture of their favorite poem. Giving us the visual of what the poem said to them. The second thing I would have the class do I choose the poem they identtify with most and share why they connected so much with the poem.
  Amandaspangler | Jul 21, 2017 |
Another poetry book that was used during a unit I teach in 7th grade. Students loved this book and the illustrations. ( )
  Calabrom2 | Jul 6, 2017 |
This book has some wonderful diverse poems and this would also be a great book for introducing poetry into a classroom. This is an all ages book, any grade level would be entertained by it.
  heidi.donner | May 2, 2017 |
This is a great book full of different kinds of poems. This is a great book with different kinds of poems. I feel this book has many good poems but some are questionable. This is a great way to introduce the idea of different kinds of poems to children. ( )
  dsw021 | May 1, 2017 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,047,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible