Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:choose_123_abc
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Edition: 2nd printing, Hardcover, 184 pages
Collections:Your library, Childrens Books
Tags:Hard Cover

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

I had mixed feelings about this book, because some of the poems were a little too inappropriate for my taste. I really don’t know if I could say I disliked the book because there were a few poems I loved. But then there was a few poems that made me wonder if this was a children’s book? Or if it was appropriate for children to read. The language in some parts of the book was descriptive and patterned which made the book interesting and the illustrations were black and white which didn’t make the poems stand out but it really didn’t make a difference from my point of view. The big idea of this book was numerous poems put together so that the reader could enjoy poetry. ( )
  pbusto1 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I really liked this book. Every poem was fun to read and I found myself reading more and more without boredom. The poems were engaging, and easy to read. Topics are about anything and everything which is one of the reasons why Shel Silverstein is such a well known children’s poet. The themes vary throughout the book including humor and depression. The poems are mostly about fictional events and characters that are very out of left field. One poem is about a person who has a foot in his head. These poems are all very fictitious but somehow become relatable. His imaginative play on words like “fell up” and “threw down” in the title poem make the writing fun and engaging. I also found myself looking at the small sketches to understand the poems more. They were very simple pen sketches to describe the poem but I feel like they added so much to the poems. ( )
  cscapp1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Read for assignment.
  jlange4 | Mar 16, 2015 |
This book is a great collection of poetry. The students really have to think about the comical poems written and the use of linguistic and non-linguistic language the poet uses. For example, saying someone is has hot as toast is non-linguistic langue. The children have to understand why the poet is using these forms of language and what importance they have in the poem.

The organization of the poems is usually divided into stanzas which help the children keep the information organized. The poems that are much shorter are only organized into one stanza.

Student can relate too many of the poems in the collection because they are all rewritten for a young audience. For example, the homework machine. Every child wants a machine that will do their homework for them. The poet shows students that that is not always the best idea because sometimes they come out with the wrong answer. There are also illustrations along with many of the poem for clarification or a visual representation of what the poet is discussing in the poem. This may give students a sense of relief to see a picture. Many of the poems are short and only on one page. There is not too many words on each page to keep the student from becoming too overwhelmed.

Students may also be presented with an issue in the collection of poems that they do not understand, thus they are challenged to think on a deeper level. This helps students with their critical thinking skills and helps with analyzing poems.
  jbarro3 | Feb 16, 2015 |
Falling Up is Shel Silverstein's third and final collection of children's poetry.
  EmKel753 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,603,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible