Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:HermanFamilyLibrary
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Hardcover, 184 pages

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

English (180)  Spanish (1)  All languages (181)
Summary: This is an anthology of poems by this author. They are all about different things, some are surreal and some are not. I don’t know how to make this summary three pages because all of the poems tell a different story.
Opinion: I always liked this book as a kid and I liked it again now. The poems are surreal and I think good to spark kids imaginations. I would recommend for solo reading but would be really fun to read aloud in a classroom. ( )
  KelseyGwozdz | Oct 1, 2018 |
I loved this book so much in middle school. The humor isn't quite as fantastic as a grownup, but the poems are still charming and fun. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 9, 2018 |
Silverstein has tons of memorable characters in his book. This is great for people who don't like to read because the poems are silly and creative. Some of them have ironic endings, such as "Short Kid" and some have deeper meanings. Silverstein has topics of dreams, fitting in, fears and anxieties. There seems to be a poem for every situation. The images go perfect with the silly poems and Silverstein has his own style, similar to how Dr. Seuss had his own. ( )
  kvedros | Apr 25, 2018 |
Falling up is a great book to introduce multiple types of poetry to students who are emergent poets in ELA. This book helps students imagination and spends their minds to different perspectives. It would be great for 3rd graders along with an assignment to complete a short poem. ( )
  jessrobinson19 | Apr 23, 2018 |
This is a book that is full of a collection of long and short poems that are all humorous and fun. They expand on a child's imagination and ideas on how their imagination works it also shows but it also has some adult humor such as the poem "Scale". It is a fun book for all ages and one that could help a student really open up to see things differently. This book is fiction and is all about telling stories from other peoples point of view in poem form. ( )
  AshleyBurke15 | Mar 11, 2018 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,627,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible