The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by…

The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas (1933)

by Gertrude Stein

1001 (15) 1001 books (20) 20th century (57) Alice B. Toklas (19) American (43) American literature (41) art (22) autobiography (94) biography (191) classics (13) feminism (17) fiction (76) France (47) Gertrude Stein (42) history (12) lesbian (28) lgbt (19) literature (62) memoir (76) modernism (44) non-fiction (93) novel (16) own (12) Paris (84) read (13) Stein (18) to-read (41) unread (16) women (24) writers (12)

English (29)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (32)
It was hard to read this book with a straight face. Gertrude Stein wrote her beloved lifelong companion’s autobiography for her. But guess what? It is not about Alice B. Toklas’s life at all. It is all about Gertrude, how smart and clever Gertrude was, how Gertrude gave great advice to everyone, how gracious a hostess Gertrude was, what an adventurous traveler Gertrude was, and what a successful writer Gertrude was. In fact, life theoretically didn’t even start for Alice until she met Gertrude!

And no matter how many times Gertrude mentions her own name - sometimes as many as three or four times in one paragraph - she make it clear that her full name is Gertrude Stein.

This so-called autobiography covers approximately 20 years, mostly taking place in Paris, France with short trips to Spain, Great Britain, and Italy.

Gertrude was a spoiled well-to-do Jewish American adventurist. She just happened to settle at the right place at the right time. She was intelligent and had a good eye for art. She became a patron for upcoming artists and bought their work, often taking in and feeding the starving artists food and encouragement. Picasso, literally unknown at the time, was a Spanish expatriate and Gertrude provided a comfortable refuge. At best she was a muse. At worst - a self-glorified groupie. In the forward (written by an anonymous writer) it says, “There she sat like a great Jewish Buddha surrounded by the paintings of Matisse, Picasso, and Braque while the artists themselves settled at her feet.”

Eventually Gertrude included writers in her clique, among them Sherwood Anderson and Ernest Hemingway. But after only a few years of friendship, she had a falling out with Hemingway which isn’t surprising because she had a falling out with many of her earlier acquaintances. She has some scathing remarks about Hemingway. In stark contrast to Gertrude always referring to herself as Gertrude Stein, she refers to Ernest as “Hem”. And she takes credit for his success as an author. The one valuable piece of advise she gave “Hem” was to quit his journalist job so he could concentrate on writing full time.

Gertrude talks a lot about her own writing, and was constantly trying to get published. She finally succeeded though this was the only book that achieved significant fame. At the height of her writing career Gertrude spoke at Oxford and Cambridge where she was heckled, and later did a series of lectures at various colleges. She is vague about this in the autobiography, but it was often reported that she was impossible to understand. Psychologists tossed around the idea that perhaps she had a speech disorder called palilalia which causes a person to repetitively repeat words and phrases... again and again, beyond their control. Thus, came out phrases like “a rose is a rose is a rose.”

Coincidently, out of curiosity, I just also read Ernest Hemingway’s "A Moveable Feast" - which also takes place in Paris in the 1920s. He discusses his relationship with Gertrude Stein. In his words she was an opportunist and a frustrated artist. He says, “I cannot remember Gertrude Stein ever speaking well of any writer who had not written favorably about her work or done something to advance her career....” She thought James Joyce - also in Paris at the time - was a loser, and she said Aldous Huxley’s work was “dead”, scolding Hemingway for his taste in authors.

But lets get back to Alice B. Toklas. Alice herself is still a woman of mystery. She remained the silent partner throughout Gertrude’s life, and throughout the autobiography. She was relegated to sitting with the women (as opposed to the artists and writers) making small talk and quietly doing needlepoint.

The book is worth reading if you love the arts and have a curiosity about life in Paris in the 1920s. At times it gets tiresome having Gertrude continuously pat herself on the back, but there are some amusing observations, and witty remarks. In Gertrude’s opening introduction to who Alice is, describing her interests and likes, she quotes Alice saying “I like a view but I like to sit with my back turned to it.” Now that’s funny! ( )
  LadyLo | Jun 15, 2014 |
What an enjoyable book to read! I can't say that I was really that compelled by the gossip or the who's who, but the words just flowed like a river and carried me along in their current, and I felt like I could just sort of let the sentences and paragraphs roll into my brain and absorb the parts I liked, and not worry about retaining every ounce of the details. It's not my usual type of book, but for some reason it just hit the spot. ( )
1 vote lemontwist | Mar 12, 2014 |
Before I started reading The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, I looked at reviews online. Many, many of them mention how conceited Stein is. They complain that she thinks herself a genius and that her writing is fantastic and groundbreaking and to the writing world what Picasso’s paintings are to the art world.

After reading the book, I would contend that she’s not nearly as much of a braggart as people say she is. The book itself is something of a joke, and throughout, she intersperses self-deprecating remarks with self-aggrandizing ones (which she often makes in an off-hand, tongue-in-cheek manner, anyway).

But even if she were outright conceited in calling herself a genius and placing herself at the forefront of twentieth-century literature, so what?

One thing that always irritated me about modernist authors—even the ones I loved from the beginning, like Hemingway—is that their writing is all so self-consciously genius. “Look at me!” they seem to scream from the page like my four-year-old when I’ve spent too long on the computer. “Look how clever I am!”

Hemingway does this. James Joyce does this. Pablo Picasso does this (I know he’s not an author, but he’s from the same time period, and he never shied away from proclaiming his own genius). But people don’t seem to complain so loudly about the fact that these fellows know they’re geniuses. And I have to think that’s because they’re fellows.

Stein’s writing bridges the gap between nineteenth-century and twentieth-century literature. She made it possible for the amazing writers who came after her—Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce—to be amazing writers and to have an audience for their amazing writing. She broke the ground, and she toiled for years and years with little recognition to do so. If she believes that she’s a genius, then what’s wrong with that?

The only thing I can see wrong with it is that she said it out loud and she said it unapologetically and she said it as a woman rather than as a man.

I really enjoyed The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. The first chapter was absolutely brilliant, and I laughed and nodded with understanding many times in just the scant three pages that make up that shortest chapter.

There’s the opening sentences, with which I could completely relate: “I was born in San Francisco, California. I have in consequence always preferred living in a temperate climate but it is difficult, on the continent of Europe or even in America, to find a temperate climate and live in it.”

Then there was the anecdote about Toklas’s father’s response when his son and a friend had gone horseback riding and one of the horses returned riderless. The mother of the friend became hysterical. “Be calm madam, said my father, perhaps it is my son who has been killed.” I laughed out loud at this and made my spouse listen while I read it to him so he could laugh out loud, too.

It is also in this chapter that Stein, through Toklas as narrator, first refers to herself as a genius. Toklas says that she has only met three “first class geniuses,” Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, and Alfred Whitehead. And while this seems a little egotistical on Stein’s part, Toklas throughout the book refers casually to the geniuses in their circle.

At times, it was a little tedious to read so much detail about the lives of all of the many, many friends Stein and Toklas had among the literary and artistic luminaries of their time, but the writing carried me through.

Punctuating these long, detailed passages were gems of writing. Stein clearly had an incredible gift for constructing phrases in which every word packs a punch.

Take a very simple passage: “The geniuses came and talked to Gertrude Stein and the wives sat with me.”

This passage does so much. It shows that Toklas actually believes that they were essentially surrounded by geniuses in Paris, and that there weren’t only three geniuses in the world. It shows that all of the geniuses that came to visit were men. It shows that Toklas does not consider herself one of the geniuses. It shows that she considers herself one of wives of geniuses, which is even more significant because she is the wife of the only female genius in the crowd.

And because it’s actually Stein writing this, it shows that Stein realizes just how marginalized her partner is in the crowds that filled their Paris home on Saturday nights. While the geniuses were crafting twentieth-century art, she was left talking about hats with the sidelined wives. The fact that Stein realizes this and indicates it in writing I find profoundly poignant.

The other thing that drew me through the story is the way the anecdotes are constructed. The chapter titles suggest a linear progression through time, but while the book follows a generally straight path from past to present, it meanders through time all the way through in the style of someone having a conversation, losing her thread, and then picking it back up again. Toklas as narrator will start talking about one subject, get sidetracked, and then pick up the subject again, using nearly identical words to pick up the subject again as she did to introduce it in the first place. There is a very pronounced example of this in Chapter 2, almost as though Stein is trying to get her readers used to the device, but she uses it throughout.

One example towards the end of the book: In Chapter 7, Stein writes about the way that Elliot Paul drifted into their lives and then drifted out again. She introduces the idea by writing, “…actually little by little he appeared and then as slowly he disappeared, and Eugene Jolas and Maria Jolas appeared.”

There follows an interlude in which Stein explains that American soldiers loved the book The Trail of the Lonesome Pine and about Elliot becoming editor of a Paris magazine, until four pages later she picks up the thread and essentially repeats the words she used to introduce the idea: “Elliot Paul slowly disappeared and Eugene and Maria Jolas appeared.” Now we know more about the history and the words mean something a little different now. With the repetition, they also take on a mantra-like quality that brings them even more meaning.

My favorite section was in Chapter 7 when Stein writes about post-war Paris and the young writers that came to visit them, including Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Stein has some very prescient things to say about both. Hemingway she describes as “fragile” and having “been worn by the war.” She suggests a more introspective approach for Hemingway. “But what a book…would be the real story of Hemingway, not those he writes but the confessions of the real Ernest Hemingway…one he should tell himself but alas he never will.” As someone who loves Hemingway’s writing and feels so strongly the tragedy of the inner torment that eventually ended his life, I find Stein’s assessment as haunting as it is loving. And this she wrote in 1932.

Of Fitzgerald, she writes (as Toklas, and so referring to herself, Stein, as “she”), “that it was this book [This Side of Paradise] that really created for the public the new generation…She thinks this equally true of The Great Gatsby. She thinks Fitzgerald will be read when many of his well-known contemporaries are forgotten.” This prediction is less dire but no less accurate than the one she made for Hemingway.

With all of the writing about how egotistical Stein was and this idea of her as a pull-no-punches hardass, I was surprised to find this image of Gertrude Stein and Alice Toklas as mother hens, both to young writers and artists and to young soldiers during the war. There are few examples of authors who have successfully melded the maternal with literary genius. We hear more about those who were unable to do so, like Virginia Woolf and Sylvia Plath. Although a lot has changed in nearly a hundred years, a lot has also stayed the same; I find this portrait of balance very encouraging.

I began reading classics with a general idea that I would become a better, more rounded thinker, and that I would enhance my experience of reading modern literature by improving my understanding of the literature that came before. Reading The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, I also began to recognize the potential for improving my writing and for—and this seems a little corny to write, but I’m going to do it anyway—creating for myself a community of great writers from among those whose classics I’m reading.

Reading about Stein and Toklas’s social circle and all of the move-and-shaker writers and artists in their midst, I felt jealous. I told my spouse that maybe we should think about starting a Saturday salon, inviting people to come to our home every Saturday night (or, knowing our habit of nodding off by 10pm, maybe Saturday afternoon) to discuss art, literature, politics, and other intellectual topics and just in general share a love of language and of placing disparate elements together and seeing the beauty in the result. My spouse was incredulous and suggested that central Massachusetts in the 2010s is pretty dissimilar from Paris in the 1910s. He has a good point.

But even if a Saturday salon isn’t practical, I can still hang out with Stein, Joyce, Hemingway, and Fitzgerald, as well as Dickens, Woolf, Kafka, Austen, Plath, Lewis, and St. Augustine any time I want to. Using the Internet, I can even invite writers, artists, and other thinkers from the present to join the conversation.

And I don’t have to make hors d’oeuvres or even change out of my pajamas. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Feb 18, 2014 |
I gave up. I was looking forward to reading this one, but the name dropping and self promotion were to high of hurdles for me. Life is too short. I'm sorry I missed the book discussion on this one. I'd like to know what others thought. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Important stylistically and conceptually, but I think the problem is that this is the most accessible of Stein's books. Not fully "readable" but also not as experimental stylistically or structurally as her other books. This makes the book mediocre. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
I was born in San Francisco, California.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067972463X, Paperback)

Stein's most famous work; one of the richest and most irreverent biographies ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:40 -0400)

Through the eyes of Miss Toklas, Gertrude Stein reviews both of their lives before their meeting and during their years of companionship.

Legacy Library: Gertrude Stein

Gertrude Stein has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Gertrude Stein's legacy profile.

See Gertrude Stein's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,473,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible