Domain by Steve Alten

Domain (2001)

by Steve Alten

Recently added bykevbayer, private library, brainx, whispring, EmScape, debbie.menzel, Dureo, Mintsumie
    Grim Reaper: End of Days by Steve Alten (DAR1102)
    DINGIR. Des Menschen Schicksal by Jeremy Chamber (MarcBelera)
    MarcBelera: Habe Steven Alten gelesen und es für nicht sonderlich gut befunden. Sollte euch dieses Buch gefallen haben, lest DINGIR. Finde ich um längen besser.
    Ruins by Kevin J. Anderson (MikeBriggs)

English (5)  Spanish (3)  All languages (8)
I started reading this book years ago when i was on a long distance bike trip and staying at a friends house for a few nights. I had never heard of the mayan doomsday prophecy or even of many of the ancient places in this book like the nazca plateau. I was horrified, i was intrigued. Unfortunately i had to leave before i could finish the book. It had ignited in me an intense curiosity of the mayans and their prophecy and i started learning all i could about both which led me to learning much more about the ancient world and its amazing structures. For that i'm very grateful that i came across this book. I finally tracked down the book again (i had forgotten both the title and authors name) and determined i would finish it. Of course i couldnt remember most of the story line so i had to read it all over again and what a disappointment it was. The characters are, each and every one of them, completely unbelievable and actually quite unlikeable, especially the main character Dominique. What a sniveling, whining, unimaginative, gullible excuse for a phycologist who could always be counted on to do the wrong thing, be the annoying screamer, and trust the wrong person. The writing was boring, too bogged down by wordy descriptions and excerpts from too many different peoples perspective that had little to nothing to do with the rest of the story. I found myself skipping or quickly skimming whole sections of the book, mostly the political scenes and the scenes where i could tell, following the previous pattern, that the person whose perspective it was written in was about to die. I read it, i managed to finish it, i'm relieved to be done with it. Finishing this book took a serious act of willpower, ugg. ( )
  whispring | May 24, 2014 |
Another book from my Dad's stack. This is a super fast read. I was very entertained by the story, but it's certainly no great piece of literature. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the trilogy. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book, for what it lacks in character development, keeps you interested in the story of ancient times impacting with the present. A mix of pseudo-archaeology, myth, love, and fantasy, this book may not change the way you think, but you will certainly enjoy your time reading it, as it is entertaining. ( )
  Maggie_Rum | May 29, 2011 |
Well, I'm not a fan of "aliens built the pyramids " stories, but despite that, I'm impressed that Alten managed to A. interest me even though I'm not into his basic plot, and B. break out of the Peter Benchley mode. I liked it enough that I'll get the next one. ( )
  Neilsantos | Oct 8, 2010 |
Sixty-five million years ago an a;steroid impacts the Earth, destroying the dinosaurs, forever changing the evolution of life on our planet.
For thirty-to years archaeologist Julius Gabriel has investigated the Mayan calender, a 2500-year-old enigma of time and space that predicts humanity will perish at the winter solstice of 2012. Julius believes the Great Pyramid of Giza, Stonehenge, the desert drawings of Nazca, the sites of Angor Wat, Teotihuacan, and the Kukulcan Pyramid in the Yucatan Peninsula the site of the ancient asteroid impact, all represent ancient pieces of a global puzzle linked to the salvation of our species.
Ridiculed by his peers, Julius dies before he can solve the doomsday prophecy. Now, only one person can prevent our annihilation, Julius's son, Michael, a patient locked up in a Miami mental asylum.
Psychiatry major Dominique Vazquez reports to the Miami asylum to complete her graduate internship. The new director assigns her to a special patient, Mick Gabriel, a paranoid schizophrenic with a high IQ who attempts to charm her into believing his father's theory of the Apocalypse so he can escape. What Dominique doesn't realize is that she represents Mick's last hope of saving humanity.
As it has done for a thousand years, a serpent's shadow appears on the northern balustrade of the Kukulcan Pyramid, then as a rare galactic alignment occurs, a deep space radio transmission reaches Earth, activating the remnants of an object buried in the Gulf of Mexico.
It is the beginning of the end........ ( )
1 vote dspoon | Feb 14, 2009 |
I stand before the vast canvas sharing the feeling of loneliness its creator must surely felt thousands of years ago.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812579569, Mass Market Paperback)

For those who never leave home without a copy of the prophecies of Nostradamus tucked in their hip pocket, Steve Alten's new thriller is just the ticket. Domain focuses its doomsday scenario on an ancient Mayan myth and sets up an intriguing pair of saviors in Dominique Vasquez, a psych grad student who's an intern at a Florida psychiatric facility, and Mick Gabriel, her first patient. Mick, the son of two famous archaeologists, has languished in the Miami asylum for over a decade after attacking the man who publicly humiliated his father and who now happens to be the American secretary of state. The elder Gabriel believed he had unearthed the riddle surrounding the origins of Stonehenge, the Great Pyramid of Giza, the desert glyphs of the Nazca desert, the temples of Angkor Wat, and the Mayan ruins of the Yucatan peninsula--and that the answer pointed inexorably to the doom of humanity.

As the winter solstice of 2012 approaches (the day of reckoning prophesied by the myths of the Kukulcan Pyramid at Chichen Itza), Mick enlists Dominique in his effort to save mankind from the apocalypse. Engineering his escape from the hospital, she accompanies him on a desperate search to find his way into the pyramid before the radio message from space, which has already activated a deadly alien weapon buried deep in the Gulf of Mexico, can open a galactic gateway to a world where evil will reign for all eternity. Alten's talent for pacing far outstrips his other writerly gifts. The political subplot is ludicrous, the special effects way over the top, and the villain-in-chief, who happens to be named Borgia, is merely a cartoon. But the story is original enough to pass muster and the past success of similar apocalyptic thrillers bodes well for this one. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

Julius, an archaelogist, predicts humanity will perish at the winter solstice, but dies before he can solve the doomsday prophecy leaving only his son, a mental patient, to prevent the annihilation of the earth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,464,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible