Jinx High: A Diana Tregarde Investigation by…

Jinx High: A Diana Tregarde Investigation (original 1991; edition 1994)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:Yfandes
Title:Jinx High: A Diana Tregarde Investigation
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Tom Doherty Assoc Llc (1994), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Jinx High by Mercedes Lackey (1991)

The Diana Tregarde series, by Mercedes Lackey

Arcanum 101, one of the novellas in Trio of Sorcery
Diana Tregarde enters Havard following the death of her grandmother (who raised her). This is the prequel to the main trilogy; as a fairly new Guardian she is settling into her role along with coping with college.

Children of the Night
Diana is now a full-fledged romance writer and has settled in New York. An ex of hers from Harvard days comes back into her life - and something has changed him for the worse.

Burning Water
Another member of Diana's group from Harvard has become a cop in Dallas, Texas. He's on the track of a serial killer and gets permission to call Diana in on the case as there are occult overtones.

Jinx High
Yet another former member of Diana's group calls her in. He's married to a third former member, and they now have a teen-aged son. His wife is on a high-powered business trip in Japan, and he gets the feeling there is danger threatening his son.

The short stories: Killer Byte, Nightside and Satanic, Versus. All were published in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy magazine; the last two were also anthologised in Werehunter.

The stories form part of the Elves on the Road universe - The Doubled Edge series by Lackey and Roberta Gellis, the Diana Tregarde series, the SERRAted Edge series, and the Bedlam's Bard series. The first is a historical fantasy set in Tudor England, the others are urban fantasies set in contemporary (at the time the story was written) USA. Diana Tregarde is a practicing witch and Guardian who writes romance stories to pay the bills. As a Guardian, it is her duty to protect mundanes from the occult and supernatural threats. The novels were written fairly early in Lackey's career (1989 - 1994) and are effectively prototypes for modern paranormal romance and urban fantasy genre novels and are rather better written than what passes for such nowadays. They are now rather dated technology-wise - no mobile phones, 286 processors, dial-up Internet (heck, the Internet doesn't exist - it's Usenet).

The stories themselves aren't bad, they are effectively occult detective stories (Rosemary Edghill's Bast series are in a similar vein but without the urban fantasy trappings). I like them - they're reasonably compelling and not without charm. Jinx High forms a link with the SERRAted Edge series. It's possible the Jennifer Talldeer series forms part of the same universe. They're probably a bit light for most tastes, and I think now they would be classified as YA.

Recommended.
  Maddz | Jun 23, 2018 |
dated, and oh-hum ( )
  SLHobbs | Feb 9, 2016 |
I love Mercedes Lackey, I do, but high school drama right now for me bored me. I don't care how teenagers act in normal settings unless the psychic part of their lives really overwhelms the mundane. The plot of this book reminded me heavily of a Buffy episode, too, and the only character in this book I particularly cared about was Diana. Everyone else was kind of 'eh'. I'm glad I finished it.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
Diane Tregarde and her group are pure fun from start to finish. Just wish someone hadn't destroyed the fun by insisting they had to be allowed to join the Watchers so Mercedes just dropped the series on us.

Spoilsports ruined it for everyone. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Oct 24, 2011 |
Dedicated to Melissa Ann Singer for helping to bail!
Buffie Gentry pounded the steering wheel of her brand-new Miata, and cursed -- though what she really felt like doing was crying her eyes out like a little kid.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812521145, Mass Market Paperback)

Fay Harper looks like any other teenage girl--any other Queen Bee, that is.  She's blond, and beautiful, and very, very popular--the kind of popular that attracts boys like honey.  Fay and her gang take a lot of risks, but so far they've managed to get away with everything.  It's as if they are magically protected.
Summoned to Tulsa by an old friend whose son has fallen in with Fay's crowd, Diana Tregarde, practicing witch and successful romance novelist, quickly finds herself in hot water.  The new girl at school, Monica Carlin, has come under sorcerous attack, but Diana cannot identify, or stop, the power-wielder.  To make matters worse, there is an ancient being sleeping under Tulsa, a being who might be woken by the magic battles taking place in the city.  What will happen then, even Diana cannot predict.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0400)

Summoned to Tulsa by an old friend, Diana Tregarde, practicing witch and successful romance novelist, quickly finds herself in hot water. The new girl at school, Monica Carlin, has come under sorcerous attack, but Diana cannot identify, or stop, the power-wielder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,706,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible