Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Sword Song: The Battle for London by Bernard…

Sword Song: The Battle for London

by Bernard Cornwell

English (33)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
(54) The 4th installment of the Saxon series set in 9th century England. In this one Uhtred is married and has children but frankly he is still the unvanquished warrior pledged to serve Alfred the Great, the pious earsling, despite his affinity for the invading Danes. There are new enemies in this one - Siegfried and Eric (who confusingly are being prematurely introduced in Season 2 of the Netflix series.) Their entry into the TV series prompted me to read this installment perhaps sooner than desire would indicate, so maybe I wasn't completely ready for more of the same bloodlust, gore, essentially almost identical battle 'shield wall' scenes form the other novels. But Oh well -- entertaining, nonetheless, despite perhaps some concession to the incredibly repetitive nature of these novels.

Not sure I have much to say beyond this. I think the author's afterword when he reports that indeed this novel is more fiction than history perhaps gave me more of a lukewarm feeling. However, between reading the novels and watching the TV series, I admit, I am hooked and a willing consumer. ( )
  jhowell | Dec 26, 2017 |
Amazing, such quick reading you are swept away. I've never read any historical fiction quite like THIS. It's so incredibly detailed and "real". I believe Mr. Cornwell may be living past lives through hypnosis to write these Uhtred novels! It's as though he's really there describing things only someone walking and looking at the land would see, a hill, a knoll, a crag, the way water moves, the description is incredible but you hardly notice it you are so caught up in the adventures. Wow. Bravo. ( )
  fbswss | Jun 9, 2017 |
The book is set in the late 9th century England and involves several of the primary historical figures of Wessex and Mercia. The characters are well-done, they have depth and are interesting. I can't speak to their historical accuracy, though.

The book gives a very good feel for the time period. The characters strong, their actions are immediate and often cruel by our standards. The culture really comes out.

The story hinges around the fight for London between Danish Vikings in the north and the Saxons in Wessex. King Alfred gives his daughter's hand in an attempt to solidify his hold on London.

I found the fight scenes very detailed and convincing. Their descriptions reveal well-thought out tactics and formations. You can almost smell the sweat and gore.

I hadn't realized it was part of a series. It makes a good stand-alone book, though. It helped to solidify my understanding of that period in English history. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Oct 24, 2016 |
Interesting look at Alfred of England, during the Saxon wars. The hero, Uhtred has been the main character of the first 3 and the 5th one. The 5th should be a good read, too. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
The year is 885, and England is at peace, divided between the Danish kingdom to the north and the Saxon kingdom of   Wessex in the south. Uhtred, the dispossessed son of a Northumbrian lord—warrior by instinct, Viking by nature—has finally settled down. He has land, a wife and two children, and a duty given to him by King Alfred to hold the frontier on the Thames. But then trouble stirs: a dead man has risen, and new Vikings have arrived to occupy the decayed Roman city of London. Their dream is to conquer Wessex, and to do it they need Uhtred's help.

Alfred has other ideas. He wants Uhtred to expel the Viking raiders from London. Uhtred must weigh his oath to the king against the dangerous turning tide of shifting allegiances and deadly power struggles. It is Uhtred—half Saxon, half Dane—whose uncertain loyalties must now decide England's future.

My Review:
Great historical fiction about Alfred and Uhtred in 885 and their battles for England's future. Can't wait to continue with the next section. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Sword Song is voor Aukje, met liefde: Er was eens...
Prologue: Darkness. Winter. A night of frost and no moon.

The year is 885, and England is at peace, divided between the Danish kingdom to the north and the Saxon kingdom of Wessex in the south. Uhtred, the dispossessed son of a Northumbrian lord—warrior by instinct, Viking by nature—has finally settled down. He has land, a wife, and two children, and a duty given to him by King Alfred to hold the frontier on the Thames. But then trouble stirs: a dead man has risen, and new Vikings have arrived to occupy the decayed Roman city of London. Their dream is to conquer Wessex, and to do it they need Uhtred's help.

Alfred has other ideas. He wants Uhtred to expel the Viking raiders from London. Uhtred must weigh his oath to the king against the dangerous turning tide of shifting allegiances and deadly power struggles. And other storm clouds are gathering: Ætheleflæd—Alfred's daughter—is newly married, but by a cruel twist of fate, her very existence now threatens Alfred's kingdom. It is Uhtred—half Saxon, half Dane—whose uncertain loyalties must now decide England's future.

A gripping story of love, deceit, and violence, Sword Song is set in an England of tremendous turmoil and strife—yet one galvanized by the hope that Alfred may prove an enduring force. Uhtred, his lord of war and greatest warrior, has become his sword—a man feared and respected the length and breadth of Britain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Uhtred has been made Governor of London while Alfred, building fortified towns to hold Wesssex, pushes into Mercia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible