Mad Ship (The Liveship Traders, Book 2) by…

Mad Ship (The Liveship Traders, Book 2) (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Robin Hobb

Member:AlistairM
Title:Mad Ship (The Liveship Traders, Book 2)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Spectra (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 864 pages

The Mad Ship by Robin Hobb (1999)

English (38)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (41)
Mad Ship is the second book in the Liveship Traders trilogy, which is the second subseries in Robin Hobb’s larger Realms of the Enderlings series. As with the previous books, this was a re-read for me, and I continue to enjoy the process of re-reading them very much. Especially the parts that are more meaningful when you know a bit more about what’s yet to come.

I did find this book a little bit slower than the first. This was mainly due to a storyline that sometimes felt tedious. I was much more interested in the other storylines. The less-interesting storyline seemed to take up less page time toward the end which helped. I’m going to give this 4.5 stars, same as I did with the first book, but this time I’m going to round down to 4 on Goodreads instead of rounding up like I did before.

The below spoiler tags contain spoilers for this book.
The less-interesting storyline for me was the one that focused on Kennit, Wintrow, Etta, and Vivacia. I just got a little tired of all the angst and misconceptions. This may have been exacerbated by the fact that I remembered a lot of this storyline from my last time reading this.

I enjoyed all the other storylines though, aside from tiny annoyances here and there, like Brashen and his cindin. A lot of answers were provided to the underlying plot with the serpents and the liveships. I had remembered bits and pieces of it, but I couldn’t quite remember how it all connected, so now that picture is much more clear in my head. The section where Wintrow helped free She Who Remembers was one of the few Wintrow sections that I did really enjoy.

Malta, who I thought was just completely annoying in the first book, became more interesting in this one. Throughout most of this book I still didn’t like her, but I was interested in her part of the story and her behavior was less annoying. Toward the end, she finally started to show some sign of growing maturity and the ability to take actions that would benefit others even at risk to herself. When she started making more intelligent decisions for the sake of her father, I still didn’t consider that to be a personality improvement. She was still acting selfishly because she wanted to rescue her father for her own sake so he could make everything better in her life. But when she went to the cocooned dragon and made a bargain with her partly for Reyn’s sake, that was when I started to give her a little respect. I also enjoyed seeing her compare the Satrap's behavior with her own past behavior. I don’t remember her storyline that well, so it will be interesting to see how she develops in the final book.
1 vote YouKneeK | Oct 21, 2018 |
Het Dolende Schip s het vervolg op [b:Het Magische Schip|2933293|Het Magische Schip (De Boeken van de Levende Schepen, #1)|Robin Hobb|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1204552056s/2933293.jpg|1476156]. Het levende schip 'Vivacia' van de Vestrit familie, is door de zelfbenoemde Koning der Piraten, Kennit, ingenomen.
Wanneer Althea ontdekt dat het schip dat ze had geërfd is veroverd, vertrekt ze met Bresser Trell en het levende schip Paragon om het terug te veroveren van de piraten.

Er lopen meerdere verhaallijnen tegelijk door dit boek, waardoor het soms even warrig om te lezen is. Er is de verhaallijn van Vivacia, Wintrow, Althea, haar zus en nicht, en nog meer.
Langzaam begin ik de haat die ik in het vorig deel had ten opzichte van het meisje Malta om te zetten in bewondering. ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
I'm still enjoying revisiting this series, even if all the books are around 900 pages long! Plenty happens in The Mad Ship, despite it being the middle book of the trilogy, with more (and more satisfying) character development than in the first instalment of the series. I'm really loving the strong, complex female characters that populate The Liveship Traders, and look forward to seeing what happens to them in Ship of Destiny. ( )
  mooingzelda | Jun 13, 2018 |
I'm so happy to be rereading this series. It is even greater than I remembered, and getting incredibly better with each book. The character development in this installment is simply astounding; I found every part of the story to be engrossing, every viewpoint so diverse. I just can't get enough of Robin Hobb's stories. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I enjoyed the second book in the Liveship Traders series, though the pacing was less satisfying than in Ship of Magic.

I very much enjoyed watching Malta's character unfold, and asked myself several times if I'll ever stop wanting to strangle her. Hobb created amazing characters for this trilogy and they all have a lot of depth and especially the villains are three dimensional and definitely the heroes of their own stories. None of the antagonists are doing anything just so for the sake of being the antagonist. They all believe they're doing the right thing. This adds a ridiculous amount of depth to the entire story.

Finding out more about the liveships was a punch to the gut.

Definitely worth a read! ( )
  Vinjii | Apr 16, 2018 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Below the serpents, the beds of weeds swayed gently in the changing tide.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575643, Mass Market Paperback)

Robin Hobb returns to the sea with Mad Ship, the second book in a projected trilogy set in the same world as her famed Farseer series. Many unresolved questions from Ship of Magic are answered in this tale of sea serpents and dragons; living ships made of wizardwood; the Bingtown Trader families who sail the ships; and their disfigured cousins, the Rain Wild Traders, who build them.

The Vestritt family's liveship, Vivacia, has been taken by Kennit, an ambitious pirate. Captain Haven is a prisoner; his son Wintrow, who bears the Vestritt blood, finds himself competing with Kennit for Vivacia's love as she becomes a pirate ship. Althea Vestritt, in training to become Vivacia's captain, arrives home to discover her beloved ship lost. Brashen Trell, her old friend and shipmate, proposes that they sail to Vivacia's rescue in the liveship Paragon, who has lost two previous crews and is believed mad. Malta, Althea's niece, seeks help from her suitor, the Rain Wild Trader Reyn, whose family is the Vestritt's major creditor. Meanwhile, the sea serpents who follow sailing ships struggle to remember their history and return to their place of transformation.

Each volume in this series is a major undertaking, but those who enjoy original, epic fantasy, characters who grow and change believably, and fine writing will not want to miss The Liveship Traders. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:50 -0400)

In the exotic slave-trading city of Bingtown, Althea Vestrit's family Liveship, Vivacia, has been taken by the pirate Kennit, leading to a dangerous plan involving an insane Liveship.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,640,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible