A Christmas Journey by Anne Perry

A Christmas Journey (2003)

by Anne Perry

3191752,729 (3.2)33

English (15)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (17)
I was familiar with her Thomas Pitt series and, to some extent, her Pitt series but this one takes a character from her Pitt books--Vespasia Cummings-Gould--and sets the time period back a number of decades to when she was a young socialite. It was an interesting diversion; I prefer Lady Cummings-Gould in her later years, but this book was still a good read. ( )
  TGPistole | May 10, 2019 |
There is really not much about Christmas in this tale, and not much of a mystery, either. Readers of Anne Perry’s Victorian era books will recognize a character or two in this one. And while the writing is typical Perry, this short novel has little beyond that to commend it. A widow in the upper ranks of society commits suicide after an unkind remark by another party goer. It is decided by others attending the festivities that a letter left to her mother by the dead woman must be delivered to the mother by the lady who caused the suicide. This act expiation would free her of guilt; otherwise she would become a social outcast. But there is more to the woman’s death, and this is the mystery. Not much of a plot and not really a Christmas story. ( )
  Maydacat | Dec 8, 2018 |
Trains, boats and Shetland ponies: it's a Victorian road trip novel!

There isn't much mystery or sleuthing in A Christmas Journey. But, boy is there a lot of wonderful descriptions of bleak, freezing, snow covered landscapes. I shivered the entire time I read this novella. And, I'm not kidding.

Read this in December for the scene and mood, preferably by a warm fire with a cup of hot chocolate. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
In November 2014, I was very surprised to discover the title of "A New York Christmas" and that it was the 12th Christmas novel by Anne Perry as she was a new author to me as discovered when I first read the blurb in the “Early Reviewer” Nov-2014 listing from LibraryThing. In 2015, I read "A Christmas Hope" (Christmas Stories, #11) and this year decided to start at the beginning of the series with "A Christmas Journey."

I appreciate the message of the novella but I can't say that the reading was a pleasure compared to my delight and joy in reading #11 and #12 of this series as mentioned above. Had I started with this title, I would not have continued the series and missed some special stories of the Christmas season.

As I don't add spoilers, I can only say that the message of the story is one that can and should be reflected upon by everyone but that in the "hustle and bustle" and flurry of seasonal activities I think is rare but if one has some quiet moments to read and reflect then this novella can be read during the beautiful season of Advent or it would make a thoughtful stocking stuffer. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Dec 10, 2017 |
After a cruel remark is made by Isobel which drives Gwendolyn to commit suicide, Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould accompanies Isobel on a Medieval style redemptive journey to deliver the last letter written by the girl to the girl's mother and to accompany the mother back to London. The story was a bit boring as there was really no mystery involved in it. They journeyed several places to eventually reach the mother, but even the locations really did not make up for the lack of plot. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 7, 2013 |
To all those who contribute to the gift of friendship
Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould hesitated a moment at the top of the stairs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034546673X, Hardcover)

Readers of Anne Perry’s bestselling suspense novels revel in a world that is all their own, sharing the privileged existence of Britain’s wealthy and powerful elite in West End mansions and great country houses. It is also a world in which danger bides in unsuspected places and the line between good and evil can be razor thin. This new novel features Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould–one of the most memorable characters from the Thomas Pitt series–who appears here as a lively young woman, the ultimate aristocrat who can trace her blood to half the royal houses of Europe.

It’s Christmas and the Berkshire countryside lies wrapped in winter chill. But the well-born guests who have gathered at Applecross for a delicious weekend of innocent intrigue and passionate romance are warmed by roaring fires and candlelight, holly and mistletoe, good wine and gorgeously wrapped gifts. It’s scarcely the setting for misfortune, and no one–not even that clever young aristocrat and budding sleuth Vespasia Cumming-Gould–anticipates the tragedy that is to darken this light-hearted holiday house party. But soon one young woman lies dead, a suicide, and another is ostracized, held partly responsible for the shocking turn of events.

To expiate her guilt, Gwendolen Kilmuir sets out for the Scottish Highlands, hoping to explain to the dead girl’s mother the circumstances surrounding the sorrowful act–and to bring her back to England for the funeral. Gwendolen’s sole companion on this nightmarish journey is Vespasia. As Vespasia learns more about the victim and the ugly forces that shaped her desperate deed, she understands the heartbreaking truth of the tragedy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

"It's Christmas and the Berkshire countryside lies wrapped in winter chill. But the well-born guests who have gathered at Applecross for a delicious weekend of innocent intrigue and passionate romance are warmed by roaring fires and candlelight, holly and mistletoe, good wine and gorgeously wrapped gifts. It's scarcely the setting for misfortune, and no one - not even that clever young aristocrat and budding sleuth Vespasia Cumming-Gould - anticipates the tragedy that is to darken this lighthearted holiday house party. But soon one young woman lies dead, a suicide, and another is ostracized, held partly responsible for the shocking turn of events.". "To expiate her guilt, Isobel Alvie sets out for the Scottish Highlands, hoping to explain to the dead girl's mother the circumstances surrounding the sorrowful act - and to bring her back to England for the funeral. Isobel's sole companion on this nightmarish journey is Vespasia. As Vespasia learns more about the victim and the ugly forces that shaped her desperate deed, she understands the heartbreaking truth of the tragedy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,708,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible