No Graves As Yet by Anne Perry

No Graves As Yet (2003)

by Anne Perry

Series: Joseph, Matthew and Judith Reavley (1)

5762017,182 (3.45)34

English (19)  French (1)  All languages (20)
An enjoyable mystery. Interesting to read on the 100th anniversary of the Archduke's assassination. I liked reading about the response of the people in England to the crisis. The fear of war and the idea that the war would be short. Some people believing that there Great Britain need not be involved and others feeling that war was inevitable. Anne Perry did a good job of depicting the atmosphere in the country at the time while still keeping the story moving. ( )
1 vote njcur | Jul 1, 2014 |
This novel is the first in a series and one I have been planning to read for some time. I want to fit in some WWI related fiction and non-fiction in this and the next couple years. Generally speaking I enjoy Anne Perry's mystery novels, but sometimes they disappoint. This one, unexpectedly, did. I can't quite pin down why this didn't gel for me, but I have some ideas. I didn't latch onto the main characters and I know that is part of the reason. I liked several of the portrayals of secondary characters however. The book seemed much too stretched out and even almost boring at times. One of the main characters is a former minister and now professor and he has a lot of long drawn out angst over things. Everyone is way too overwrought, scenes seem over-dramatized and over-written. Nearly every conversation seemed to have the anxiety level amped to 11. The story begins when four adult children lose their parents in a single motorcar accident. But was it an accident?

This book takes place beginning in the summer before the outbreak of hostilities and it ends when war is declared. There is a missing document, supposedly one that would rock the world if revealed. An interesting look at English life at the dawn of war, despite the weakness of the storytelling (and the story itself). This just did not strike me as well written compared to other Perry novels I have read. It isn't a bad book, but not a very good one I think. The book picked up a little towards the end, but the ending I thought was rather unsatisfying. Despite this I think I'll give the second book in the series a try as that seems to be where the direct WWI stuff happens. ( )
1 vote RBeffa | May 12, 2014 |
Standard Anne Perry novel, first in a series about WW I. Moves slowly, lots of dialogue, but insightful as to time period and character development. ( )
  readyreader | Jul 4, 2013 |
Anne Perry is so good at creating the atmosphere of tragic transition; the point in the story (or in history) in which you know something terrible and life shattering is about to happen, but the innocent folks of the past (and the guilty ones too) have no idea.

So we have England just at the edge of WWI, and deaths, and a plot, and the washed golden light. I do miss my favorite characters from the Pitt and Monk novels, who by this novel must surely all be dead. The characters in No Graves Yet are sympathetic and faintly clueless and determined to do good or evil and often confused by it; the descriptive writing is sheer delight, and the plot very...well, this plot was very structured, and I saw the structure pretty quickly (which meant, yes, I thought I knew who done it and then was properly twisted aside). It's kind of like laying a trail of bread crumbs and then...wait, you really you had a wolf following you

But I digress. Perry's fans will like this one, I do, and I will look for the next in the series as well. ( )
2 vote jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
Not as compelling to me as Perry's other series. The protagonists were less likable for me, and there were too many angry grieving women. Overall it was more depressing, with less of the spark of hope and human connection that I see in the Pitt and Monk novels. ( )
2 vote carlyrose | Mar 15, 2013 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my grandfather, Captain Joseph Reavley, who served as chaplain in the trenches during the Great War.
It was a golden afternoon in late June, a perfect day for cricket.

Through Anne Perry’s magnificent Victorian novels, millions of readers have enjoyed the pleasures and intrigue of a bygone age. Now, with the debut of an extraordinary new series, this New York Times bestselling author sweeps us into the golden summer of 1914, a time of brief enchantment when English men and women basked in the security of wealth and power, even as the last weeks of their privileged world were swiftly passing. Theirs was a peace that led to war.

On a sunny afternoon in late June, Cambridge professor Joseph Reavley is summoned from a student cricket match to learn that his parents have died in an automobile crash. Joseph’s brother, Matthew, as officer in the Intelligence Service, reveals that their father had been en route to London to turn over to him a mysterious secret document—allegedly with the power to disgrace England forever and destroy the civilized world. A paper so damning that Joseph and Matthew dared mention it only to their restless younger sister. Now it has vanished.

What has happened to this explosive document, if indeed it ever existed? How had it fallen into the hands of their father, a quiet countryman? Not even Matthew, with his Intelligence connections, can answer these questions. And Joseph is soon burdened with a second tragedy: the shocking murder of his most gifted student, beautiful Sebastian Allard, loved and admired by everyone. Or so it appeared.

Meanwhile, England’s seamless peace is cracking—as the distance between the murder of an Austrian archduke by a Serbian anarchist and the death of a brilliant university student by a bullet to the head of grows shorter by the day.

Anne Perry is a sublime master of suspense. In No Graves As Yet, her latest haunting masterpiece, she reminds us that love and hate, cowardice and courage, good and evil are always a part of life, in our own time as well as on the eve of the greatest war the world has ever known.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:03 -0400)

"On a sunny afternoon in late June 1914, Cambridge professor Joseph Reavley learns that his parents have died in an automobile crash. Joseph's brother, an officer in the Intelligence Service, reveals that their father had been en route to London with a mysterious secret document--allegedly possessing the power to disgrace England and destroy the civilized world. Now that explosive paper has vanished, and Joseph is left to wonder: How had it fallen into the hands of his father, a quiet countryman? But Joseph is soon burdened with a second tragedy: the shocking murder of his most gifted student, who was loved and admired by everyone. Or so it appeared. As England's seamless peace begins to crack, the distance between the murder of an Austrian archduke and the death of a brilliant student grows shorter every day." -- back cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible