Plague of Angels by Sheri S. Tepper

Plague of Angels

by Sheri S. Tepper

It is hard to describe this book, honestly it is just one of those books you have to read to understand. I have read a Tepper book before, and she does have a way to build a story. It's filled with marvelous things.

This book starts as fantasy, but nothing is as it seems. No it is this strange mix of fantasy and sci-fi and Tepper does it so well. She mixes things up and little by little I get to understand this world. Is it Earth? Is it a new planet? Is it a fantasy world? Well, I will not tell you that, read and see. What I can tell you is that it is a world that got destroyed by war, by stupidity, by humans. Some left for another planet and those left behind struggled to get by. In the countryside there are villages and farmers. In the cities gangs rule with weapons. In Archetypal villages archetypes live; oracles, prophets, heroes, princesses, witches. Why? To save the rest from those who might cause trouble. There are also Edgers who live behinds walls and have technology, and the place of power where Families rule and use androids. But there are also ogres and dragons in the forest. Like I said, nothing is what it seems.

There you go, a world so strange, but still very real. There are reasons for everything and we get to know why things are like they are. Books are burned if they are older than 50 years, because if you can’t read about the past, you can’t remember it and you can’t go to war over silly things. There are people out there trying to save nature. And while I read I kept wondering what, and how. The clues are there and it was so fun finding out more. I love a well created world and that it sure is.

About the story then. Well a young man leaves for the city and becomes a ganger. And orphan is taken to an archetypal village and at the place of power a woman wants just that, power, and to go to the stars. These stories are all connected. I liked Abasio, the boy who leaves for the city. He knows the cities are bad, his own mum had been a gangers concubine and fled. But still he leaves. Orphan is a mystery, and someone is out after her. But she is just a sweet girl. And then there are others that they meet, good people, and bad people.

I liked it, it was a freaky book, in a good way. I love fantasy so of course I was all over that angle, and sci-fi is fun too. This mix here, more fantasy than sci-fi is another great mix. There is technology, just not much, or used that much. Therefore it makes it the more interesting. She also has a way to keep you interested, because you can’t see anything coming.

What to call this book then? Post-apocalyptic, dystopia, fantasy, sci-fi, your call. Whatever suits you. And that is also its strong side, it can be something for everyone.

Conclusion:
I do recommend it if you want to try something different. Tepper is a master storyteller and she will keep on surprising you.
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 2 1/2 stars

I don't know why I have a memory of loving Tepper's work when I was a young teen. I can't find what I liked about it, as an adult. Meh. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
There was way too much going on in this book for my taste. And I found it to be overlong. It was a vaguely dystopian fable with a huge cast of characters and some creaky plot devices. I finished it, but it was a slog. It was cluttered up with so much extra stuff that there were two, maybe three novels worth of stories, and I'm of the opinion that they would have been better teased apart.
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Not sure about this yet. It's not grabbing me like Gate to Women's Country did...

Political intrigue in one plotline, young woman struggling to find her indentity and way in the world... yet a third plotline with a young man who is aimlessly living a crime filled life, although he seems to only be stuck in it because he doesn't have any good way out... so far this still seems like three different books. Not just three plotlines that I'm waiting on to converge... but really three different books.

...

Ok, this book was really interesting. The three plotlines did of course converge, and some other intriguing characters and events came into the story as well...

amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
Don't read this if you're a Tepper virgin. I've read it four times and still don't quite get it. I'm just having trouble actually picturing certain characters and aspects of it. Not that Tepper's unclear, she just... Look, just read it and find out for yourself. It's still my fave Tepper novel and I will read it again. ( )
  BlueYolanda | Aug 15, 2009 |
Michael: And though man plays at being good,
yet he does rue
the dreadful deadly Godly goods
God's angels do.
The Michaelmas Play
ca. 1465
Moonset, just before dawn; swollen moon collapsing into a notch between black mountains; river talking quietly to itself among the stones; pine and horsemint scenting the air as Abasio brushed by them on his way down the farm lane.

Atop a twisting,  canyon-climbing road, a witch lurks in a fortress  built strong to keep out dragons and ogres. In  another part of the countryside, a young orphan is  maturing into a beautiful woman in the enchanted  village that is her home. Somewhere nearby, a young man  is seeking adventure after running away from his  family's small farm. Suddenly a strange and  terrible prophecy sets off a chain of events that will  bring these three together in the heroic, romantic,  and thrilling tale of an age-old battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:44 -0400)

A malevolent prophecy about an age-old battle unites the fortunes of a powerful witch living in a magical fortress, a young woman from an enchanted village, and a young man who has run away from home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible