Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:madeleine71
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:William Morrow (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, SF & fantasy
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, American fiction, North American fiction, 20th century, fairy tales, romance

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1998)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (elwen, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (flissp)
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (quigui)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Medicinos)

English (337)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (357)
This has been my first foray into the world of Neil and it will not be my last. Lovely little fairy tale with unique details and fresh concepts of magic and fairies. Tough job and he handled it well. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
The story was solid but the execution could have been a bit better. There were a lot of stories that sounded interesting and could have been expounded on. The only time I really felt like the characters could have been in danger was in the middle of the story when the witch had them at the inn. That felt like the climax to me and then the rest was a very long resolution. I am glad that I finally read this because I had been hearing goo things about the book, but it isn't one I will go back to or strongly recommend. ( )
  midkid88 | Aug 1, 2014 |
Tristan.. what an idiot.
Yvaine :D
Alternated between listening to audiobook and reading ebook. Neil Gaiman has a soothing voice so I had a good experience with the audio, however kept falling asleep and missing bits so finished it in book form.
Ill be honest Id tried reading this before (if I hadnt watched the.movie I probably would never had read it) and couldn't get past the first chapter, so listening to the audio helped.
I dont think I wouldve enjoyed it much otherwise.
Was a bit surprised at certain things he added to the book as I thought it was aimed at younger people.
Ill be honest the movie was so much more enjoyable. And I never say that!
Im not saying the book wasnt good, just that movie version entertained me more ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
It's times like this that I'm glad I keep records of what I've read. Although I remember enjoying the story (after refreshing my memory of the plot via Amazon), Gaiman didn't make an impression on me as an author at the time. So therefore I had forgotten having ever read this story by him.

It wasn't until about 2005 that Gaiman got my attention with Anansi Boys. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 24, 2014 |
Still as sweet and charming as ever. I re-read it because I'd done a readthrough of the film script, and wanted to compare and contrast the differences. I think (and I don't say this very often!) many of the film changes were for the better. The relationship between Tristan and Captain Shakespeare is more fulfilling than the relationship between Tristan and the Fellowship of the Castle. But both the book and the film are lovely :-) ( )
  atreic | Jul 21, 2014 |
While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's copious and magnificent illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible