Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:madeleine71
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:William Morrow (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Books, SF & fantasy
Tags:fiction, fantasy, American fiction, North American fiction, 20th century, fairy tales, romance

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (1998)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414, Morteana)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (ghilbrae, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (flissp)
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    Starthorn Tree by Kate Forsyth (bloop)
    bloop: Village boys on an adventure into magical unknowns.
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (quigui)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Medicinos)

English (394)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (412)
First, I will say that I have watched the movie many times in the past and just have recently finished the book for the first time. Without a doubt, this is one adaptation that comes so very close to the original version, unlike many movies based on books. It was so interesting to be able to peep into Neil Gaiman’s mind and read this book more like a fairytale than any other sci-fi fiction novel.
I enjoyed the characters and especially Tristran as he grows while he is in Faerie. The book allowed the readers a more depth look into the characters and their thoughts (obviously). But it also gave us another look into what Faerie could be. Much like other “book worlds” that we read about, the magical world of Faerie seems to be more plausible and real than any other I’ve read before.
This book is definitely a quick read and took me a little over two days to read. It was full of action and suspense that, although I’ve seen the movie and expected certain things to happen at certain times, I was pleasantly surprised that there were some parts that differed in the movie from the book. (Though, now I realize that the differences in the movie were most likely added because this book was such a short, quick one to read).
I would definitely recommend this to those who love exploring new worlds, ideas, and fairytales but should caution you a little that this is not as child-friendly as the movie is. There are some explicit parts inside that didn’t bother me, but could bother others who are more sensitive. I know this is a short review to this wonderful book, but this is also a short book itself and I didn’t want to detract from its magic and enjoyment! ( )
  huntforpaperbacks | Nov 7, 2016 |
I was surprised to find that this was not a book for children, as I had come to expect based on the movie. I was very excited to find out otherwise. the story was beautiful and the detail to the surroundings in Faerie were spectacular. I loved this book and will continue to read Gaiman. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This was my first encounter with Gaiman and I wasn't disappointed. I love the nimble floss of a fairy tale retold and reimagined and I think I'll always have an unquenchable affection for adventure stories.

It's quite a slim novel but it packs a hefty amount of plot. I would say that I wished (at times) there were more details given in some allusions to other adventures experienced by Tristran and Yvaine. I'd also say that the romance was predictable however it wasn't your average Disney Prince throwing the Princess onto the back of his horse after a lavish kiss that tends to be uncomfortably one sided fiasco. It was cute and fun and it showed off the good and the bad in both characters.

So, while I'd have liked more depth, it's fun for what is there and makes me want to read more Gaiman in the future. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
A modern classic.

Gaiman gives us an entertaining tale of Faerie, admirable in its simplicity.

The modern tendency is to play these sorts of stories for irony, or satire, or to make a long book in a long series of books, but Gaiman does none of these.

It has a nice strong ending as well, which is something I always admire. ( )
  rakerman | Aug 31, 2016 |
Easily my favourite of the Gaiman I've read so far - I think his style works much better when he's not trying to be overly pretentious and involve too much philosophising in his work. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Tristran Thorn is zeventien wanneer hij de wondermooie Victoria Forester, in het Victoriaanse stadje Wall, dat een eigenaardige scheidingsmuur bezit, belooft dat hij haar de vallende ster zal brengen die ze net samen gezien hebben. Thorn klimt de muur over en komt in Elfenland terecht, maar er zijn nog andere wezens die op de gevallen ster azen. De Engelse fantasyschrijver Neil Gaiman schreef eerder onder andere 'American Gods' en 'Coraline'. 'Ster' heeft alles van een ouderwets sprookje, zowel de goede dingen - fantasierijke verhaalwendingen, fabelachtige wezens, nobele gevoelens - als de slechte - kinderlijke stijl, verregaande vereenvoudiging van personages, effectbejag - en bekoort uiteindelijk door het ontwapenend gebrek aan literair cynisme. Voor lezers van sprookjesverhalen die zich niet storen aan een gebrek aan literaire kwaliteit.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, B. van Laerhoven

While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Hunt, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's many illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

4 1914

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,798,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible