Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:madeleine71
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:William Morrow (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, SF & fantasy
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, American fiction, North American fiction, 20th century, fairy tales, romance

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1998)

Recently added byrabrahams, Polyhymnius, pcollins, JR.Raluces, johntober, private library, rawhous, cupocofe, mathsie, KRoan
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (elwen, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (flissp)
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (quigui)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Medicinos)

English (333)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (353)
Still as sweet and charming as ever. I re-read it because I'd done a readthrough of the film script, and wanted to compare and contrast the differences. I think (and I don't say this very often!) many of the film changes were for the better. The relationship between Tristan and Captain Shakespeare is more fulfilling than the relationship between Tristan and the Fellowship of the Castle. But both the book and the film are lovely :-) ( )
  atreic | Jul 21, 2014 |
My previous experience with Neil Gaiman was American Gods. While I loved the book , it most certainly was a more complex and darker tale. Stardust is an easy read that’s just a joy. It’s been awhile since I read a book that was this much fun.

There is nothing amazingly original about this book. Many of the characters and themes are based on familiar fairy tale tropes—the three witches needing the heart of a young girl to restore their youth, the brothers killing each other off to gain their father’s throne. But the story is told so well, with such a light touch and an engaging turn of a phrase that it’s a delight to read.

The central characters, Tristran and the star, are neither deep nor filled with angst, nor do I believe they were intended to be. Instead, they are both unpretentious and innocent, wandering through their fairy tale world, almost oblivious to the extraordinary events surrounding them. Even the villains are matter-of-fact. Gaiman’s approach to fairy tales seems to be that they’re not so different from ordinary life. They just function based on a different set of myths.

The several plot threads are brought together beautifully at the end in a believable and satisfying way. As I closed the book (or scrolled to the final screen), I was left nodding my head with a smile on my face. ( )
  dlitwack | Jun 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was incredibly well written and I'm going to read more of Neil Gaiman's books for sure. It was a great introduction to his work.
One of the things that stood out for me was the use of children songs and tales as a source of wisdom within the fairy world. I found that to be really clever and made me get into the storie even more. ( )
  Yvaine_Thorn | Jun 7, 2014 |
After seeing the movie a while back I had to read this novel. Neil Gaiman is a strange author and if I didn't like one or two books I keep reading because it seems everyone loves him. With this book I had mixed feelings. Having seen the movie and then the book I must say that I enjoyed more the film. Maybe it's just me but those extra scenes in the movie may them a good relaxing movie and with the book was ending to fast. I really didn't enjoy it. My rating is most of all because of the funny comments and the world itself (even if not explored) and the fighting between the princes. The rest of the book is not that good and I thought the main characters a little two-sided... I can't understand what people like these book so much. I must read a couple of reviews because I really didn't understand. But I will not stop reading Neil Gaiman. I believe that he can make a good book... Look at American Gods. ( )
  chevalierdulys | Apr 21, 2014 |
Having read this book, it was as different from American Gods as it could be. This book was absolutely enchanting, a modern day fairy tale in the old styles of yesterday. It was captivating, easily read, & swept the reader up & away from reality into a fantasy land. I have not yet seen the movie that was made, but I'm not sure if I want to, because I fear I'll be disappointed in how it translates from word to screen ( )
1 vote Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 10, 2014 |
While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's copious and magnificent illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible