Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:madeleine71
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:William Morrow (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Books, SF & fantasy
Tags:fiction, fantasy, American fiction, North American fiction, 20th century, fairy tales, romance

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (1998)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414, Morteana)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The king of Elfland's daughter by Lord Dunsany (ghilbrae, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (flissp)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (quigui)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Medicinos)

English (387)  French (4)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (404)
Review: Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I surprised myself and loved the story. I wasn’t quiet sure what I was in for. A while back someone recommended this one and I kept putting it farther down my list of books to read. I wish I read it sooner. I started off thinking “Oh, No“, this is going to be boring. That was until the story, after a few pages, developed into succeeding adventures in real life and in a world of fantasy. It is written like a fairy tale with straight forward writing that covers much deeper meanings.

In real life a boy falls for a girl and will do anything for her love. This is where Tristran leaves home and goes beyond the wall into fairyland to retrieve a fallen star for his love, Victoria. With all the other characters and happenings keeping the reader mesmerized to the very end. There are both human and mythical beings along with the perils, and deceitful ill-minded villains in the name of power-greedy princess and evil witches for Tristran to overcome.

The writing is simple yet symbolic. Neil Gailman’s showmanship with words becomes noticeable as the reader progresses with the plot. His power with words can bring the reader’s imagination to a place where it’s easy to believe that fairies actually exist. He captures the essence of enchantment in the way his adventures twist and turns throughout the book.

A fast pace enjoyable story…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Well, I am utterly devastated...
I became devastated the moment I completed this book and was thrust back into a mundane world with entirely too much normalcy.
I want to live inside Gaiman's world for the rest of my life and never come out.
I don't know if I have enough vocabulary inside my dialect to describe how much I loved this book. It was an absolutely gorgeous surreal world, and has just a taste of horror. I am in love with the Star, I grieve for the magical horned creature, I want to creep through misty woods and find all my own woodland creatures to make as friends, and lastly I want to live with the witches and learn their magic.
There will never be another book as beautifully magical as this. -sigh- ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Well, I am utterly devastated...
There will never be another book as beautifully magical as this. -sigh- ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Stardust - Neil Gaiman
audio performance by Neil Gaiman
3 stars

I love Gaiman reading Gaiman, so I did enjoy this story. I think I may have spoiled it for myself just a bit, by having seen the movie first. Tristran was a very likable hero, although he sometimes annoyed me with his placid acceptance of all the fantastic things that happened to him. I enjoyed the female characters more. Good or evil, they seemed to have more personality. Not my favorite Gaiman story, but it was still a pleasant listening experience.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Stardust is the perfect example of why I shouldn't read a book if I've already seen the movie. Unlike the case of [b:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy|11|The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)|Douglas Adams|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327656754s/11.jpg|3078186], my gripe with Stardust is that the movie was such a good adaptation of the book (I won't say perfect because it's been a while since I've watched it and there were some things that they changed/added, but I digress), that reading the story just became tedious to me. I already knew what was going on and the 'twist' that makes you go, "oh no!" right about the end, and that took away from the enjoyment I bet people who read this book for the first time get to experience.

However! That doesn't make this book any less magical. The world building is fantastic (literally!) and the author drops you in headfirst without any kind of explanation whatsoever because it's not about the cat-eared fays, the human-shaped stars, the witches or the lightning collectors. And it isn't just a love story, either; I believe it's a story about growing up and going on adventures and finding yourself and knowing that there's more to the world and life than what surrounds us, and [a: Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg] does a good job at conveying that.

It's an enjoyable, feel-good read regardless of whether you've already seen the movie or not (though if you haven't, you should because it's hilarious and delightful and also Robert De Niro is in it being awesome) and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fairy tales and happily ever afters. ( )
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
Tristran Thorn is zeventien wanneer hij de wondermooie Victoria Forester, in het Victoriaanse stadje Wall, dat een eigenaardige scheidingsmuur bezit, belooft dat hij haar de vallende ster zal brengen die ze net samen gezien hebben. Thorn klimt de muur over en komt in Elfenland terecht, maar er zijn nog andere wezens die op de gevallen ster azen. De Engelse fantasyschrijver Neil Gaiman schreef eerder onder andere 'American Gods' en 'Coraline'. 'Ster' heeft alles van een ouderwets sprookje, zowel de goede dingen - fantasierijke verhaalwendingen, fabelachtige wezens, nobele gevoelens - als de slechte - kinderlijke stijl, verregaande vereenvoudiging van personages, effectbejag - en bekoort uiteindelijk door het ontwapenend gebrek aan literair cynisme. Voor lezers van sprookjesverhalen die zich niet storen aan een gebrek aan literaire kwaliteit.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, B. van Laerhoven

While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Hunt, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's many illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible