Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Headline Review (2005), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read in 2013 (inactive), Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle, 2013

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (1998)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414, Morteana)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (ghilbrae, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (flissp)
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.
    Starthorn Tree by Kate Forsyth (bloop)
    bloop: Village boys on an adventure into magical unknowns.
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)

English (403)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (421)
Stardust by Neil Gaiman was a group read in Goodreads. I have never been a Gaiman fan but this was a fantasy so I was hoping I would like this one. I liked that there was a fairy, lol. I didn't care for the speak, they way it was written, kind of a old time, other place speak. Not for me. I liked some of the characters, but couldn't get attached to them. I am glad he didn't speak to his mother in the end, she was a .... well, she was! It was worth the read but just barely. I won't be reading more by him. I have tried a few and don't like his style. I tried and just can't. Too many good ones to force myself. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 19, 2017 |
Suitably a fairy tale with some complex details and some side trips that seemed a bit disconnected (like the ship that gathered thunder bolts). The movie was more distinct in plot development. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 18, 2017 |
This is a fantastic Novel by Neil Gaiman. From what I understand it is also a fantastic film, but I have not seen it, so the book is a fresh experience for me. The foreshadowing in the book is extremely well done: plain enough for the reader to see it if they're a thinking reader, but subtle enough so as to both not reveal the end of the story and so that the reader is delighted when they figure out the ending. The epilogue rounds out the story well, leaving the reader with a nice, complete feeling. While this book does contain both sex and violent death, they are artfully crafted and tastefully expressed. There is a single foul word, and it is invoked at an extremely appropriate time. I would recommend this for anyone high school and above, or younger depending on the maturity level of the potential reader, given the level of the language. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Tristan, born to a fairy mother and a human father, goes off to Fairyland in search of a fallen star to give to his true lust, er, love.

I loved the movie, and now I've finally read the book. The movie definitely influenced how the characters sounded in my head, especially Michelle Pfeiffer as Lamia. And guess what (spoiler alert): that whole cross-dressing pirate thing is totally made-up just for the movie. I was rather upset that the section of the book that takes place on the flying ship is only about 5 or 6 pages. But there's a little more backstory to be had in the book, so I didn't quite feel cheated :) ( )
  bexaplex | May 31, 2017 |
The story of a young man seeking his destiny in the land of Faerie.

This story did not exactly bore, but the pacing was slow and/or choppy to me.

There is a pretty darned explicit sex scene at the beginning which precludes me from recommending it to any young people I know, although this is touted as a young adult book. Eeww.

For all of the people wondering about bathroom breaks in adventure stories, the author doesn't add anything to the story by inserting them. Like sex, it is something an imaginative reader with a little experience can understand without details. Food and meals are different, for much of a situation or disposition of a character can be told from the food and meal descriptions.

Many have loved this story, I did not. It was predictable and tawdry, without much to think about in it. ( )
  MrsLee | May 28, 2017 |
While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mcginnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's many illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

4 1938

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,110,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible