Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Headline Review (2005), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read in 2013 (inactive), Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle, 2013

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (1998)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (ghilbrae, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (flissp)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (quigui)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (Medicinos)

English (354)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (374)
After reading The Ocean at the End of The Lane, and not really knowing how I felt about the book because I was not expecting a fantasy type story, I felt I owed Mr. Gaiman a second try. This is not usually my Genre so it's hard for me to be objective. My Daughter had Stardust on our shelves for years now so I gave it a try. This time I went in with an open mind ready for a strange, fanciful, fairy tale. I was drawn into the story right away and enjoyed waiting for the story to unfold every minute I had free time to read. This book is like a feast for the mind. Such realistic description of the surroundings that you feel you are there. Such interesting and strange characters. A twisting but easy to follow plot with several surprises that I have to give this book a 5. For readers who enjoy fantasy Mr. Gaiman delivers a very rich experience for the senses! ( )
  theeccentriclady | Feb 28, 2015 |
It is so refreshing to read a totally unique fairy tale that is not a retelling of a more traditional tale as many modern fairy tales are. The elements of this story are so different from Germanic Grimm style fairytales, and much more direct than that of the English C.S. Lewis style of fantasy writing. This is a book that I would like to see taught in a high school literature class as an example of an exemplary graphic novel. ( )
1 vote Maggie.Goff | Feb 26, 2015 |
To win the affection of Victoria Forrester, Trystran Thorne crosses the wall that blocks Wall from Faerie, in search of a fallen star. He is surprised to find that the star is a girl, and must decide what to do after a long and dangerous journey back to Wall.

AR level: UG 6.2
Lexile: 970 ( )
  liblb | Feb 21, 2015 |
Neil Gaiman is a very popular author and this book was a free Kindle offer at Christmas so I thought I would download it. My previous exposure to him is through his scripts for Doctor Who, especially the Matt Smith episode The Doctor's Wife, acclaimed by many but which I didn't like. This novel concerns a Fairyland on the other side of a wall from an English village in the mid 19th century, featuring a fallen star, humans transforming into animals, witches and ruthless feuding brothers. I found it superficially engaging, though rather insubstantial and I'm not really sure if I liked it. ( )
  john257hopper | Feb 15, 2015 |
This book introduces us to the village of Wall, which unsurprisingly has a wall. On one side is the village, on the other side is a meadow, where the fairy market comes every x(can’t remember how many) years. On the day the market is there the villagers can go into the meadow. The rest of the time there are guards at the door to prevent villagers from going into the meadow where unknown dangers abound.

During one of these markets a child is conceived and put in a basket through the door and raised in the village. When he grows up he falls in love and leaves the village for the meadow beyond to find a fallen star for his lady love. The star is actually a woman, he captures her and intends to return to the village with her, but its not easy. He encounters obstacles and discovers that there are others who want the star, and not for benign reasons. There are all the creatures that we have come to expect from Neil Gaiman and a surprise, but not so surprise ending that does not disappoint. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's copious and magnificent illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,744,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible