The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the…

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

by Peter Reinhart

723None12,924 (4.38)8
    Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: I purchased Hamelman's Bread after I'd worked with BBA for a while. Hamelman's book does less hand-holding, but is more thorough in describing shaping techniques as well as the practical technical information on additives, sourdough, ingredient temperatures, etc. I don't think I would have wanted to start with Hamelman's book, and I wouldn't have wanted to finish with Reinhart's book. Between the two of them I have enough recipes and information to keep me baking for a long time to come.… (more)

Really loved the technique demonstrated in this book. Did not make time to try any of the recipes but I will borrow this one again and try in the future. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
A really excellent bread guide. Lots of great recipes, particularly the breads of Europe. But this is a serious book, with a lot of recipes typically taking several days before they reach the oven. However the results are worth it. ( )
  FrogPrincessuk | May 12, 2012 |
I think this is the best bread book ever. Great recipes include Light Wheat Bread, Napoletana Pizza Dough, Challah, Cinnamon and Sticky Buns, Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread, and best of all . . . Potato Rosemary Bread. Haven't had a loser recipe yet. ( )
  itbgc | Oct 26, 2011 |
This was my first bread book. It's a solid starter book with a good assortment of recipes. The book could do with more extensive demonstrations of specific techniques. Hamelman's Bread is a bit more thorough in describing the handling and feel of the dough. ( )
  Tuirgin | Dec 16, 2010 |
The best book about baking I have ever found. This book goes deep into the art and chemistry of making great bread. I recommend this to all new bakers who want to understand how to make good bread. ( )
  Joybee | Oct 21, 2010 |

Co-founder of the Brother Juniper's Bakery in Sonoma, California, author and instructor at the world's largest culinary school, Reinhart has been a leader in America's artisanal bread movement for 15 years. Here he shares his latest bread breakthroughs, and walks readers through the 12 steps of building great bread, his clear instructions accompanied by over 100 step-by-step photos.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible