Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.…

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (7)

62,15612127 (4.42)10 / 770

English (1,170)  French (9)  German (8)  Dutch (7)  Danish (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (1,214)
This is the best one of the series.It couldn't have been any better.One of my favorites of all time.
The first thing that was perfect in this book was one couldn't guess the ending.We all knew at the ending Voldemort will die.But there was no way you could guess how that was gonna happen.And also we knew Harry had to find and destroy all the horcruxes but you just couldn't imagine how that would happen either.A small twist in the story line revealed such important things like when Harry and his friends were captured and brought to the Malfoy mansion a small event happened.But from that small twist they found out one of the horcruxes and Harry became the elder wand's true master.Those plot twists were amazing.

Every possible question and confusion of the readers was answered perfectly.I also liked the idea of bringing back small things from the past books and weaved them perfectly in this one to solve the issues.Those touch from past books made it more real.
The emotions were perfectly shown of every character whether it was Ron's outburst or Dobby's loyalty or Harry's grief of loosing his friends and beloved one.I was crying myself when Dobby died saving Harry from the Malfoy mansion.
And there were surprises at every corner like Dumbledore's disturbing past,revelation of Snape's true intention,Harry being the last horcrux himself.I also liked the ending where Harry didn't have to kill Voldemort himself but the bad boy was killed by his own mistakes backfiring.
So what a reader could want any more than that?There was mystery,there was tension,excitement,epic battle and also emotional touch.I am sure was overwhelmed.The only sad thing was I had to say bye to Harry. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
So, I first read this on the day it came out, as a page turning speed read in a blur of 'I must know what happens!'. So I wanted to come back to it and reread it so I could actually remember what happened. Although actually, by the time we got to the final battle at Hogwarts, I was back into a frantic speedread of 'I must know what happens!' So that didn't quite work out. I do think this book reads a bit like 'there has been hype that one of the Loved Characters is going to die, so every chapter has someone Nearly Dying'. (For what it's worth, much as I like Fred and Tonks and Remus, the hype was clearly intended to imply a More Significant Character. I mean, I'm glad they all survived, don't get me wrong, and they are children's books, after all.) And they mostly succeed because Voldie is a pretty stupid bad guy. I mean, some if it is Deliberate Fatal Flaw of not trusting and loving, which I will accept, but some of it is just stupidity. But yes, the characters we all know and love run around and save the day, Neville is amazing (yay!) and they all live happily ever after. (Better book without the epilogue though, _so_ saccharine!) ( )
  atreic | Jul 21, 2014 |
I've been a die-hard Harry Potter fan for years now, still am, and the anticipation of this final book was unlike anything I had ever witnessed. I was over the moon with excitement. Pottermania was more than just colorful costumes, or wand-waving, or playing quidditch in your backyard. The story had an elemental substance, a cross-cultural testament to true living. The magic was greater than the sum of its parts. How can something like that not end on a high note? The Deathly Hallows, the last act of one of the most celebrated sagas of our generation, concludes not as the triumph it could have been but as an embarrassing, hollow groan. JK Rowling was either incapable or unwilling to deliver an HP novel worthy of her prior standards.

Unforgivable Plot Holes.

Most fantasy stories have plot holes to a degree, and the previous Potter books are no exception. It all comes down to whether or not the story allows for a reasonable suspension of belief within the context of the created world. The disparities in Deathly Hallows range from forgivable to lazy to incompetent, and it shows a monumental lack of care when your easiest-to-fix plot problems somehow survive all manuscript revisions. It's a screw-you to devoted readers.

The top 3 offenses: (1) Wand lore and the Elder Wand. It's unbeatable unless it's not (see Dumbledore v Grindelwald) or it's unbeatable unless its allegiance has been transferred to another wand (Seriously?). (2) The name taboo. So the ministry can track anyone anywhere in seconds if they say a certain word? Why not put taboos on a whole host of words? This one isn't even worth trying to explain away. It was a cheap plot trick in order to get Harry captured at just the right moment. (3) Harry's blood protection. According to Dumbledore at Kings Cross, Harry will not be harmed as long as Voldemort lives because of the blood infusion thing from back in book 4. Essentially, there's no risk to Harry in the final battle. No risk = No dramatic tension. And that's not even the end of it. By simply being present at the finale, Harry shields his friends from harm too.

Runner-up offenses: The slipshod introduction of the Hallows, the sorting hat as a replicator of Gryffindor Swords, JKR's convenient 180 on what happens when a secret keeper dies, Hermione summoning Horcruxes for Dummies out of the headmaster's office, why Dumbledore never mentioned the lost diadem to Harry, why nobody ever noticed Snape's patronus, how house elves can be summoned instantaneously to and from any location regardless of magical protections, and coincidental close calls everywhere—breaking into the ministry, breaking into Gringotts, locating horcruxes, escaping from the Malfoy Manor—ALL are successful because of timely dumb luck.

Character Inconsistencies.

You can pair this one with plot because radical changes in character were likely needed to smooth over the worst of the story problems. For example, there's no believable reason for why Voldemort would open his mind up to Harry again after he intentionally closed it in the last book. But if he didn't, then Harry wouldn't have received the vital information he needed to advance. Also, Voldemort's IQ seems to have taken a nose dive since we last saw him in book 5. It's a good thing though because Harry and team wouldn't have had a chance in hell otherwise (see above, re: luck). By the end it was like Voldemort had wandered over into a Scooby-Doo cartoon. "Gaaahhhhh! I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you kids!"

And then there's Harry casting unforgivable curses. This isn't the same Harry as from book 5 when he attempts the Cruciatus Curse in a fit of rage against Bellatrix after she murders his godfather. There he was like a child mishandling his dad's rifle. This time around Harry shows no trepidation. He finds them convenient to get want he needs—no, no, no! That's what the bad guys do!

Other inconsistencies: Dumbledore has a sordid past, but that's not as disconcerting as the present-day Dumbledore being revealed as a manipulative jerk. Snape drops a few IQ points by never putting 2 and 2 together regarding Voldemort's horcruxes. Harry and Ginny—are they even an item? Hermione seems less assertive which is characteristically backwards for her. Ron turns out okay though. Heck he might even be the only main character to show consistent, believable growth.

Hogwarts. Or lack thereof.

Plot and character account for the majority of problems in DH, and had they been fixed, I think the the whole thing might have been adequate. Nevertheless, JKR took a risk by not having Harry, Ron and Hermione attend their 7th year at Hogwarts. It was never really a choice given the narrative starting point of DH, and it's difficult to imagine the trio hunting horcruxes while being hunted by V and the ministry all while studying for their NEWTs. I think book 6 and maybe book 5 would have played out differently had this alternate universe occurred. In hindsight, removing Hogwarts as the central setting of DH gutted the story of its essential awe and heart. The school is as much a character in the story as are its inhabitants.

---

This is my third reading of Deathly Hallows. I read it once when it came out in 2007, once soon after in order to process the train wreck I had just read, and once more this year, seven years on. My hope was that time would allow me to give an honest review of a convoluted book so blindly adored by the world, and it has. DH is even worse than I remember. I love the world of Harry Potter and this final installment is an insult to thinking fans everywhere who respect the whole as more than mere stories for children. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jul 20, 2014 |
The end of the series. I'd have to say that each book got better and better. I avoided the series (both the books and the movies) for so long...because I didn't want to be like every single person who is obsessed w/ Potter. But, as I read the series, I was addicted. I fell into the madness.

At first, I only started to read because of my completionist nature. But, damn, I got hooked somewhere, I think around book 4 or 5.

This book wasn't what I expected. Taking Harry out of Hogwarts for the majority of the book was really interesting.

It's good. well worth the read.

Now I can watch the movies. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

It's good. well worth the read.

Now I can watch the movies. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
How can Voldemort and his wicked forces have such power and yet be unable to destroy a mild-mannered and rather disorganized schoolboy? In a short story this discrepancy might be handled and also swiftly resolved in favor of one outcome or another, but over the course of seven full-length books the mystery, at least for this reader, loses its ability to compel, and in this culminating episode the enterprise actually becomes tedious. Is there really no Death Eater or dementor who is able to grasp the simple advantage of surprise?

In the end, no one plays Quidditch.

That's about the only spoiler I'm willing to reveal about the final chapter in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," Book 7 and the close of J.K. Rowling's wonderfully entertaining series. If the review seems a little vague as a result, well, tough. I'm not ruining this for fans who have waited 10 years to learn the outcome of the final showdown between the Boy Who Lived and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and wanted to savor the last time they would ever pick up a new "Harry Potter" book.

Nowadays, the story of the boy and his author is as familiar as the Nativity. Harry Potter, the unloved orphan with the weird-ass scar, turns out to be not just a wizard but—for reasons he can barely recall—one of the most famous wizards in the whole wide wizarding world. And thanks to hundreds of millions of books bought, read and loved, J.K. Rowling, once dowdy and grouchy and broke, is now as prettily patrician as a Redgrave sister, and richer than the royals.
added by stephmo | editNew York Observer, Mark Lotto (Jul 23, 2007)

The release of the seventh and final instalment of J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series did not go without controversy, with a much-publicised embargo breach and many internet spoilers.

Still, the fate of Harry Potter was not truly decided in the minds of fans until 9.01am on Saturday, when the book officially went on sale.

With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling has created a lovely conclusion to her astonishing seven-book series. Ironically, amid all the hysteria and hoopla, the rumors, the leaks, the overheated theories, Hallows provides a calm ending to a global sensation that has made millions of children and adults happy.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Deirdre Donahue (Jul 23, 2007)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
GrandPré, MaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kapari-Jatta, JaanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh the torment bred in the race,
the grinding scream of death,
and the stroke that hits the vein,
the hemorrhage none can staunch, the grief,
the curse no man can bear.
But there is a cure in the house,
and not outside it, no,
not from others but from them,
their bloody strife. We sing to you,
dark gods beneath the earth.
Now hear, you blissful powers underground —
answer the call, send help.
Bless the children, give them triumph now.

--Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers
Death is but crossing the world, as friends do the seas; they live in one another still. For they must needs be present, that love and live in what is omnipresent. In this divine glass, they see face to face; and their converse is free, as well as pure. This is the comfort of friends, that though they may be said to die, yet their friendship and society are, in the best sense, ever present because immortal.

--William Penn, More Fruits of Solitude
The dedication of this book is split seven ways: To Neil, to Jessica, to David, to Kenzie, to Di, to Anne, and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end.
The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane.
Harry Potter cannot escape his fate. He and the Dark Lord Voldemort are destined to face each other in a duel – a duel that only one of them will survive. To even stand a chance, Harry must seek out and destroy Voldemort’s four remaining Horcruxes: the fragments of his soul that bind him to the mortal world. Professor Dumbledore, however, is gone, and in his place lies a myriad of rumours and unanswered questions. Unable to rely on anyone but Ron and Hermione, Harry embarks upon a journey that will push his courage, trust and magic skills to their limits in hopes of winning the duel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545010225, Hardcover)

Readers beware. The brilliant, breathtaking conclusion to J.K. Rowling's spellbinding series is not for the faint of heart--such revelations, battles, and betrayals await in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that no fan will make it to the end unscathed. Luckily, Rowling has prepped loyal readers for the end of her series by doling out increasingly dark and dangerous tales of magic and mystery, shot through with lessons about honor and contempt, love and loss, and right and wrong. Fear not, you will find no spoilers in our review--to tell the plot would ruin the journey, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is an odyssey the likes of which Rowling's fans have not yet seen, and are not likely to forget. But we would be remiss if we did not offer one small suggestion before you embark on your final adventure with Harry--bring plenty of tissues.

The heart of Book 7 is a hero's mission--not just in Harry's quest for the Horcruxes, but in his journey from boy to man--and Harry faces more danger than that found in all six books combined, from the direct threat of the Death Eaters and you-know-who, to the subtle perils of losing faith in himself. Attentive readers would do well to remember Dumbledore's warning about making the choice between "what is right and what is easy," and know that Rowling applies the same difficult principle to the conclusion of her series. While fans will find the answers to hotly speculated questions about Dumbledore, Snape, and you-know-who, it is a testament to Rowling's skill as a storyteller that even the most astute and careful reader will be taken by surprise.

A spectacular finish to a phenomenal series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a bittersweet read for fans. The journey is hard, filled with events both tragic and triumphant, the battlefield littered with the bodies of the dearest and despised, but the final chapter is as brilliant and blinding as a phoenix's flame, and fans and skeptics alike will emerge from the confines of the story with full but heavy hearts, giddy and grateful for the experience. --Daphne Durham

Visit the Harry Potter Store
Our Harry Potter Store features all things Harry, including books, audio CDs and cassettes, DVDs, soundtracks, games, and more.

Begin at the Beginning

Paperback Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Paperback
Why We Love Harry
Favorite Moments from the Series
There are plenty of reasons to love Rowling's wildly popular series--no doubt you have several dozen of your own. Our list features favorite moments, characters, and artifacts from the first five books. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive (what we love about Harry could fill ten books!) and does not include any of the spectacular revelatory moments that would spoil the books for those (few) who have not read them. Enjoy.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
* Harry's first trip to the zoo with the Dursleys, when a boa constrictor winks at him.
* When the Dursleys' house is suddenly besieged by letters for Harry from Hogwarts. Readers learn how much the Dursleys have been keeping from Harry. Rowling does a wonderful job in displaying the lengths to which Uncle Vernon will go to deny that magic exists.
* Harry's first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid. Full of curiosities and rich with magic and marvel, Harry's first trip includes a trip to Gringotts and Ollivanders, where Harry gets his wand (holly and phoenix feather) and discovers yet another connection to He-Who-Must-No-Be-Named. This moment is the reader's first full introduction to Rowling's world of witchcraft and wizards.
* Harry's experience with the Sorting Hat.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
* The de-gnoming of the Weasleys' garden. Harry discovers that even wizards have chores--gnomes must be grabbed (ignoring angry protests "Gerroff me! Gerroff me!"), swung about (to make them too dizzy to come back), and tossed out of the garden--this delightful scene highlights Rowling's clever and witty genius.
* Harry's first experience with a Howler, sent to Ron by his mother.
* The Dueling Club battle between Harry and Malfoy. Gilderoy Lockhart starts the Dueling Club to help students practice spells on each other, but he is not prepared for the intensity of the animosity between Harry and Draco. Since they are still young, their minibattle is innocent enough, including tickling and dancing charms.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
* Ron's attempt to use a telephone to call Harry at the Dursleys'.
* Harry's first encounter with a Dementor on the train (and just about any other encounter with Dementors). Harry's brush with the Dementors is terrifying and prepares Potter fans for a darker, scarier book.
* Harry, Ron, and Hermione's behavior in Professor Trelawney's Divination class. Some of the best moments in Rowling's books occur when she reminds us that the wizards-in-training at Hogwarts are, after all, just children. Clearly, even at a school of witchcraft and wizardry, classes can be boring and seem pointless to children.
* The Boggart lesson in Professor Lupin's classroom.
* Harry, Ron, and Hermione's knock-down confrontation with Snape.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
* Hermione's disgust at the reception for the veela (Bulgarian National Team Mascots) at the Quidditch World Cup. Rowling's fourth book addresses issues about growing up--the dynamic between the boys and girls at Hogwarts starts to change. Nowhere is this more plain than the hilarious scene in which magical cheerleaders nearly convince Harry and Ron to jump from the stands to impress them.
* Viktor Krum's crush on Hermione--and Ron's objection to it.
* Malfoy's "Potter Stinks" badge.
* Hermione's creation of S.P.E.W., the intolerant bigotry of the Death Eaters, and the danger of the Triwizard Tournament. Add in the changing dynamics between girls and boys at Hogwarts, and suddenly Rowling's fourth book has a weight and seriousness not as present in early books in the series. Candy and tickle spells are left behind as the students tackle darker, more serious issues and take on larger responsibilities, including the knowledge of illegal curses.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

* Harry's outburst to his friends at No. 12 Grimmauld Place. A combination of frustration over being kept in the dark and fear that he will be expelled fuels much of Harry's anger, and it all comes out at once, directly aimed at Ron and Hermione. Rowling perfectly portrays Harry's frustration at being too old to shirk responsibility, but too young to be accepted as part of the fight that he knows is coming.
* Harry's detention with Professor Umbridge. Rowling shows her darker side, leading readers to believe that Hogwarts is no longer a safe haven for young wizards. Dolores represents a bureaucratic tyrant capable of real evil, and Harry is forced to endure their private battle of wills alone.
* Harry and Cho's painfully awkward interactions. Rowling clearly remembers what it was like to be a teenager.
* Harry's Occlumency lessons with Snape.
* Dumbledore's confession to Harry.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

* The introduction of the Horcrux.
* Molly Weasley asking Arthur Weasley about his "dearest ambition." Rowling has always been great at revealing little intriguing bits about her characters at a time, and Arthur’s answer "to find out how airplanes stay up" reminds us about his obsession with Muggles.
* Harry's private lessons with Dumbledore, and more time spent with the fascinating and dangerous pensieve, arguably one of Rowling’s most ingenious inventions.
* Fred and George Weasley’s Joke Shop, and the slogan: "Why Are You Worrying About You-Know-Who? You Should Be Worrying About U-NO-POO--the Constipation Sensation That's Gripping the Nation!"
* Luna's Quidditch commentary. Rowling created scores of Luna Lovegood fans with hilarious and bizarre commentary from the most unlikely Quidditch commentator.
* The effects of Felix Felicis.

Magic, Mystery, and Mayhem: A Conversation with J.K. Rowling

"I am an extraordinarily lucky person, doing what I love best in the world. I’m sure that I will always be a writer. It was wonderful enough just to be published. The greatest reward is the enthusiasm of the readers." --J.K. Rowling

Find out more about Harry's creator in our exclusive interview with J.K. Rowling.

Did You Know? The Little White Horse was J.K. Rowling's favorite book as a child. Jane Austen is Rowling's favorite author. Roddy Doyle is Rowling's favorite living writer.

A Few Words from Mary GrandPré

"When I illustrate a cover or a book, I draw upon what the author tells me; that's how I see my responsibility as an illustrator. J.K. Rowling is very descriptive in her writing--she gives an illustrator a lot to work with. Each story is packed full of rich visual descriptions of the atmosphere, the mood, the setting, and all the different creatures and people. She makes it easy for me. The images just develop as I sketch and retrace until it feels right and matches her vision." Check out more Harry Potter art from illustrator Mary GrandPré.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:48 -0400)

Burdened with the dark, dangerous, and seemingly impossible task of locating and destroying Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes, Harry, feeling alone and uncertain about his future, struggles to find the inner strength he needs to follow the path set out before him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible