The Falls: A Novel (Oates, Joyce Carol) by…

The Falls: A Novel (Oates, Joyce Carol) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Joyce Carol Oates

Member:shigekuni
Title:The Falls: A Novel (Oates, Joyce Carol)
Authors:Joyce Carol Oates
Info:Ecco (2004), Hardcover, 496 pages

The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates (2004)

English (31)  Swedish (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (38)
I got this as a bargain table item and I wondered about the abrupt ending ... was that really a stylist bit of wonder there? No it wasn't. I stopped in at the Gallery Bookshop in Mendocino and asked them to please check to see how many pages this paperback edition ran. Yup, my book that I got off a bargain table, for cheap, was just a misprint and didn't have the last 20 pages. Sometimes that old adage "you get what you pay for" sticks you. ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 19, 2014 |
Ariah Burnaby is a conundrum. Not just to those around her but to me after hundreds of pages. Rarely have I spent so much time reading about a character and depart at the end feeling that I never got to really know them. Still, I very much enjoyed this book. I kept wanting to understand or see if she'd ever divulge something to explain it all. She didn't. To the end, she was ever Ariah. They sympathy I felt for her in the beginning was stripped away as the story moves along & her children, Chandler, Royall & Juliet come into their own & she is seen through them. I wanted each of the three to get away simply as a mechanism of personal survival. It was compelling reading. I very much wanted to know if any would discover that she was the legendary lady by The Falls waiting for her fallen first husband to be returned by the churning waters. But the mystery of Dirk Burnaby was likely all that could really be handled & that was well done.

This is going to be on my almost favorites list because while I likely won't read it again, it was a great read & will have me reflecting upon its characters for years. Also, I'm a sucker for a Niagara Falls setting. I think this was the first novel I've read of Joyce Carol Oates & I have to say that I very much liked it. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
I was disappointed in this Oates novel. Too much description going nowhere a lot of the time ~ the first few chapters the worst. Not like her other work. The most interesting element of the book was about the Love Canal case. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I loved everything about this book. Great read, highly recommend and great for a book club. ( )
  Richardson76 | Dec 4, 2012 |
Un capolavoro. Una saga e al contempo una dura requisitoria sul nostro mondo. ( )
  Lilliblu | Aug 4, 2012 |

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Den grymma skönheten hos Fallen / Som ropar till dig... / Ge upp! - M. L. Trau, "The Ballad of the Niagara", 1931
To Nancy Van Goethem and Larry Joseph
At the time unknown, unnamed, the individual who was to throw himself into the Horseshoe falls appeared to the gatekeeper of the Goat Island Suspension Bridge at approximately 6:15 am.

It is 1950 and, after a disastrous honeymoon night, Ariah Erskine's young husband throws himself into the roaring waters of Niagara Falls. Ariah, "the Widow Bride of the Falls," begins a relentless seven-day vigil in the mist, waiting for his body to be found. At her side is confirmed bachelor and pillar of the community Dirk Burnaby, who is unexpectedly drawn to her. What follows is a passionate love affair, marriage, and family -- a seemingly perfect existence. But tragedy soon takes over their lives, poisoning their halcyon years with distrust, greed, and murder.

Set against the mythic-historic backdrop of Niagara Falls in the mid-twentieth century, this haunting exploration of the American family in crisis is a stunning achievement from "one of the great artistic forces of our time" (The Nation).

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:49 -0400)

Story of the powerful spell Niagara Falls casts upon two generations of a family, leading to tragedy, love, loss, and, ultimately, redemption. A man climbs over the railings and plunges into Niagara Falls. A newlywed, he has left behind his wife Ariah in the honeymoon suite the morning after their wedding. The widow begins a vigil in the mist, waiting for his body to be found. At her side throughout, confirmed bachelor and pillar of the community Dirk Burnaby is unexpectedly transfixed by the strange, otherworldly gaze of this plain, strange woman, falling in love with her though they barely exchange a word. What follows is their passionate love affair, marriage, and children, a seemingly perfect existence. But the tragedy by which their life together began shadows them, damaging their idyll with distrust, greed, and even murder.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,324,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible