The Falls: A Novel (Oates, Joyce Carol) by…

The Falls: A Novel (Oates, Joyce Carol) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Joyce Carol Oates

Title:The Falls: A Novel (Oates, Joyce Carol)
Authors:Joyce Carol Oates
Info:Ecco (2004), Hardcover, 496 pages

The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates (2004)

English (35)  Swedish (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (43)
Personal tragedy mirrors the environmental tragedy of Niagara Falls. The author depicts the boom to bust exploitation of Niagara Falls people and natural resources perfectly. ( )
  FLXobsv | Sep 6, 2015 |
The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates
A woman wakes up on the first day of her honeymoon, a widow. One of the darkest ladies of letters strikes again. The real protagonist of this meandering hell is Niagara Falls. Oates captures everything about the falls in her prose and effectively transports the reader to this Mecca of tourists and suicides. You can smell the falls, hear them, look into their depths, and above all, wish you were there. The question on the lips of everyone at the beginning of this book is, "why would anyone commit suicide?" Joyce Carol Oates commences to provide many possible reasons for this. At the end of the book the question has become, "How do so many people survive?"
Recommended by Geo, July 2005
  dawsong | Jun 12, 2015 |
I love JCO! Great story, similar to We Were the Mulvaney's. Historical fiction of the Niagara Falls area and the corruption and pollution that resulted in Love Canal in the 1970's. ( )
  mojomomma | Mar 6, 2015 |
JCO, I appreciate how prolific you are, but maybe you should think about quality over quantity.

anecdote time: I needed to buy a Christmas gift for my sister so I picked this book up at the last minute at a Borders Express at the mall. Turned out my sister bought it for me as well (probably because I was studying the Love Canal at the time). It was like Gift of the Magi, except dumber. Okay, so it wasn't like Gift of the Magi at all. ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
I got this as a bargain table item and I wondered about the abrupt ending ... was that really a stylist bit of wonder there? No it wasn't. I stopped in at the Gallery Bookshop in Mendocino and asked them to please check to see how many pages this paperback edition ran. Yup, my book that I got off a bargain table, for cheap, was just a misprint and didn't have the last 20 pages. Sometimes that old adage "you get what you pay for" sticks you. ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 19, 2014 |

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Den grymma skönheten hos Fallen / Som ropar till dig... / Ge upp! - M. L. Trau, "The Ballad of the Niagara", 1931
To Nancy Van Goethem and Larry Joseph
At the time unknown, unnamed, the individual who was to throw himself into the Horseshoe falls appeared to the gatekeeper of the Goat Island Suspension Bridge at approximately 6:15 am.

It is 1950 and, after a disastrous honeymoon night, Ariah Erskine's young husband throws himself into the roaring waters of Niagara Falls. Ariah, "the Widow Bride of the Falls," begins a relentless seven-day vigil in the mist, waiting for his body to be found. At her side is confirmed bachelor and pillar of the community Dirk Burnaby, who is unexpectedly drawn to her. What follows is a passionate love affair, marriage, and family -- a seemingly perfect existence. But tragedy soon takes over their lives, poisoning their halcyon years with distrust, greed, and murder.

Set against the mythic-historic backdrop of Niagara Falls in the mid-twentieth century, this haunting exploration of the American family in crisis is a stunning achievement from "one of the great artistic forces of our time" (The Nation).

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

Story of the powerful spell Niagara Falls casts upon two generations of a family, leading to tragedy, love, loss, and, ultimately, redemption. A man climbs over the railings and plunges into Niagara Falls. A newlywed, he has left behind his wife Ariah in the honeymoon suite the morning after their wedding. The widow begins a vigil in the mist, waiting for his body to be found. At her side throughout, confirmed bachelor and pillar of the community Dirk Burnaby is unexpectedly transfixed by the strange, otherworldly gaze of this plain, strange woman, falling in love with her though they barely exchange a word. What follows is their passionate love affair, marriage, and children, a seemingly perfect existence. But the tragedy by which their life together began shadows them, damaging their idyll with distrust, greed, and even murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible