The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Spirit Ring (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:The Spirit Ring
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Baen (2000), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Reviewed, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, novel, fantasy, historical fantasy, historical fiction, Renaissance Italy, Switzerland, kobolds, magic, young adult, romance, dark fantasy, alternate history, necromancy, Renaissance

The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold (1992)

Recently added byLitaVore, baculus, private library, UBC_SFS, T_K_Elliott, trinalin
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station

Lois McMaster Bujold is one of my favourite authors, and I’ve been hoarding her remaining books because I don’t really want to get to a point where I have no more new Bujold books to read. I succumbed to THE SPIRIT RING this week, though.

THE SPIRIT RING is a pretty straightfoward fantasy story set in Renaissance Italy. Fiametta’s life shatters when she and her mage/artisan father are caught up in the squabbles between two dukedoms, and now she has to find a way to free her town from the invading duke before he is able to use black magic (using her father) to cement his hold on it.

As always with Bujold, the characters have complex emotions and pretty much leap off the page. Fiametta is sad and very scared, but she’s also somewhat relieved by having to fend for herself, having constantly been judged as less capable because of her gender. She’s determined and stubborn, but realistic – she knows exactly how powerless she is as a multiracial woman without a protector. I liked that her story was told in a way that seemed historically accurate to the options that she would have in that time, but it did so without making Fiametta seem any less capable.

Fiametta’s father is another great character; he’s a true Renaissance man – master craftsman and amateur scientist (but with magic), flamboyant and selfish, definitely not the best father, but still very proud of his daughter. Every character in this book is just a person (another thing I love about all of Bujold’s work!), even the occupying “evil” duke and his black-magic using assistant are just people with their own hopes and dreams (albeit ones that are not good for the rest of society), and like most people, they’re usually pretty amiable when their life isn’t being affected directly.

Bujold is great at subtle romances – usually her characters just recognize a similar kind of competence in each other, and at some point realize that they should just join forces. THE SPIRIT RING does this, but with a healthy addition of Fiametta and Thur’s teenage hormones. Thur is fantastic, and his down to earth practicality matches Fiametta’s temperament very well. I’d love to read a book set a couple of decades later to see how they’ve grown together. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
This tale could be cast in the mold of "plucky girl hero saves the world" but with our young heroine's rage and willingness to bend the rules to get what she needs, it's a strangely strong story that quietly breaks many of the rules we quietly have about stories told about young heroes and women. Here is a heroine who doesn't feel guilt or uncertainty about her power and intelligence and rages against having to hide it, who gets angry, who doesn't follow the rules and this doesn't lead to downfall and repentance but rather to success. This is a quietly subversive story wrapped in a traditional fantasy mold. Sure, it's maybe not the epics and maybe isn't as full-package clever as her later works, but it's a surprising gem for its genre. ( )
  terriko | Sep 4, 2016 |
Probably more like 2.5 stars. I've enjoyed some of Bujold's other fantasy and sci-fi novels but this one seemed a bit dated for me. Maybe it just reminds me of books I read when I was younger. Also having a young female protagonist made it feel more like it was for teen girls than 43 year-old men.I also tend to like fantasy better if it's NOT set in the "real world" it makes the magic and other fantastic elements more believable for some reason.

I like the ending climactic battle, but got bored a lot before that. I would recommend "The Curse of Chalion|61886" instead if you want to read something in the fantasy genre from Bujold. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 2, 2013 |
Fairly standard "plucky girl" fantasy but with a nice mix of Bujold humour. ( )
1 vote SChant | Apr 26, 2013 |
A fun read after loving the Vorkosigan series. Exciting and intriguing, but ultimately not too much that's memorable. ( )
  VVilliam | Dec 27, 2012 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eggleton, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jim and Trudie
Fiametta turned the lump of warm reddish clay in her hand.
Also published as Fiametta's Ring.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671578707, Mass Market Paperback)

Fiametta Beneforte dreamed of making beautiful and enchanted objets d'art, but alas her magician-goldsmith father was more likely to have her scrub the kiln than study magic. After all, it was a waste to train a mere daughter beyond the needs of the moment.

Thur Ochs dreamed of escaping the icy mines of Bruinwald. But the letter from his brother Uri arranging his apprenticeship to Master Beneforte was not the only force that drew him over the mountains to the Duchy of Montefoglia...

A betrayal at a banquet plunges Thur and Fiametta into a struggle against men who would use vile magic for vile ends. Needs of this desperate moment will require all their wits, all their talents, and all their courage, if they are to rescue both Montefoglia and the souls of those they most love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:34 -0400)

When her father, a goldsmith and master mage, dies during the siege of their Italian village, fifteen-year-old Fiametta finds her own fledgling magic tested in the ensuing battle against the evil Lord Ferrante.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,876,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible