The Tangle Box by Terry Brooks

The Tangle Box (edition 1995)

by Terry Brooks

1,367None5,585 (3.59)7
Member:fly-with-me
Title:The Tangle Box
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Legend paperbacks (1995), Paperback, 352 pages

The Tangle Box by Terry Brooks

Recently added bypaolaloris, Mr_Wolf, beanwarrow, Marlin.Library, cinnamon30tx, private library, dsmom, kaystj, dmaness

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
MAGIC KINGDOM OF LANDOVER
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
I love this series! It's simple reading but just the kind of easy escapism read you need sometimes. ( )
  willowcove | Feb 19, 2009 |
Summary: Ben Holiday and his once-fairy wife Willow are going to have a baby. Once again, a bad guy is tring to kick Ben off the thrown. This time, however, the bad guy also takes out The Witch Nightshade and the dragon Strabo. Willow can't save him, because she has a quest of her own -- to combine the dirt of three lands and bring the baby into the magical kingdom.

The Take-Away: I love how Brooks illuminates the differences of our world with Landover. Even something as magical as giving birth is made extraordinary. Neither Ben or I expected the method that Willow would be instructed to follow.

I also really liked Horris Kew. Yes, he's the bad guy that gets Ben into trouble, but really, he was just a pawn. What I like best about him is the reformation that takes place at the end. It left me yearning for his appearance in the next title -- did he actually change or are we fooled by him?

I'll be picking up the next title in the series.

Recommendation: Starting this series at the beginning the best way to go. Fortunately, several titles are available for your reading pleasure. ( )
  slpenney07 | Jan 31, 2008 |
Terry Brooks delivers a story here that is typical of Brooks' writing. Interesting concept keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, but in the end, the story gets wrapped up in a nice neat package. In this case, the book ended rather quickly. ( )
  Wiszard | Dec 12, 2007 |
"One evening coming in with a candle I was startled to hear him say a little tremulously, 'I am lying here in the dark waiting for death.' The light was within a foot of his eyes. I forced myself to murmur, 'Oh, nonsense!' and stood over him as if transfixed.

"Anything approaching the change that came over his features I have never seen before, and hope never to see again. Oh, I wasn't touched. I was fascinated. It was as though a veil had been rent. I saw on that ivory face the expression of sombre pride, of ruthless power, of craven terror--of an intense and hopeless despair. Did he live his life again in every detail of desire, temptation, and surrender during that supreme moment of complete knowledge? He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision--he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath:

"'The horror! The horror!'"

Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
For Chris, Denny, Gene, Phil, Scott, Stuart,
and somewhere out there, Larry.

Old friends who knew me when
and left me the better for it.
Horris Kew might have been a Disney artist's rendering of Ichabod Crane.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345387007, Mass Market Paperback)

OH, WHAT A TANGLED WEB...
Soon Ben found himself imprisoned within the gloom of the Tangle Box, lost in its mists and its labyrinthine ways. The only one who could free Ben from the Tangle Box was the lady Willow. But she had disappeared, was gone from Landover on a mysterious mission of her own....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:14 -0400)

This humorous fantasy concerns Ben Holiday, sovereign of the magic kingdom of Landover, & some exiled sorcerers seeking revenge upon the fairy folk. Everything should have been quiet and pleasant for Ben Holiday, the former Chicago lawyer who became sovereign of the Magic Kingdom of Landover. But it wasn't. Horris Kew, conjurer, confidence-man, and trickster, had returned to Landover from Ben's own world. Alas, Horris had not returned of his own volition--he had been sent by the Gorse, a sorcerer of great evil, whom Horris had unwittingly freed from the magic Tangle Box, where it had long ago been imprisoned by the fairy folk. Now it had returned to enslave those who had once dared condemn it. But first, it would rid Landover of all who could stand in its way... Soon Ben found himself imprisoned within the gloom of the Tangle Box, lost in its mists and its labyrinthine ways. The only one who could free Ben from the Tangle Box was the lady Willow. But she had disappeared, was gone from Landover on a mysterious mission of her own.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible