When the Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman

When the Bough Breaks (1985)

by Jonathan Kellerman

English (37)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (39)
First encounter with Dr Delaware, and I quite like the fellow. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
After winning Heartbreak Hotel, #32 of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series, in a Goodreads Giveaway I picked this up to get an introduction to the character. What I got was that plus a suspenseful thriller with a plot that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. I really liked that the case was presented from the unique viewpoint of a psychologist who was buds with a homicide detective. I also liked that the detective wasn't the usual straightforward d either, so to speak. Now I'm looking forward to reading #32 and, who knows, maybe a few more in this series. ( )
  wandaly | Dec 21, 2017 |
Book club reading for January 2016

I normally don't read mysteries or who done it books; however, I enjoyed this one. Written in 1985 and read in 2016, the book was a reminder of life before the Internet and before cell phones. Police didn't use google to solve crimes; they actually had to visit other places and travel out of state.

The back cover of the book is a little misleading. Dr. Delaware does meet and talk to young Melody Quinn, but he does not see her again until the end of the novel. There are many different characters with many different personalities. By the end of the book, they all intertwined into ways I didn't expect.

I liked this book. Will I look up all Kellerman's novels and read them. Probably not, but if the mood strikes me, I'll read him again. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
  TanteLeonie | Mar 1, 2017 |
To Faye, Jesse and Rachel
It was shaping up as a beautiful morning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345466608, Mass Market Paperback)

In the first Alex Delaware novel, Dr.  Morton Handler practiced a strange brand of psychiatry.  Among his specialties were fraud, extortion, and  sexual manipulation. Handler paid for his sins when  he was brutally murdered in his luxurious Pacific  Palisades apartment. The police have no leads, but  they do have one possible witness: seven-year-old  Melody Quinn.

It's psychologist Dr. Alex  Delaware's job to try to unlock the terrible secret  buried in Melody's memory. But as the sinister  shadows in the girl's mind begin to take shape, Alex  discovers that the mystery touches a shocking  incident in his own past.

This connection is  only the beginning, a single link in a  forty-year-old conspiracy. And behind it lies an unspeakable  evil that Alex Delaware must expose before it  claims another innocent victim: Melody Quinn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

Child psychologist Alex Delaware examines a disturbed young girl and uncovers evidence of a brutal double murder, a child molester's grisly suicide, and a horrible forty-year old secret that continues to have an effect today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,198,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible