When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Novels)…

When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Novels) (original 1985; edition 1993)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Member:Neverwithoutabook
Title:When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Novels)
Authors:Jonathan Kellerman
Info:Bantam (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Store, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

When The Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman (1985)

Recently added bylewilliams, private library, EbookITA, arenie5000, sewgirl, MynTop, Addyos, hoper6767

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
The first book in the series featuring Psychologist Alex Delaware and Detective Milo Sturgis. I enjoyed the story even though the plot is disturbing. I will more books from this series. ( )
  lewilliams | May 19, 2016 |
Good plot, but long and drawn out story. ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
I've read the latest 5 or 6 Delaware novels. I am pretty sure I had read a few of the early ones as well - but in no real order and without the backstory.

That one is the first one in the series, written 30 years ago. But if you ignore the technology (and lack of it mainly), the book is not dated at all. It does not start with the first meeting of Alex and Milo - that had happened in the past. By the time this novel opens, they are already friends - the doctor and the cop, the unlikely partners that would solve so many cases through the years.

And this first novel is unusual in a way - it actually has two cases as its focus - the one that Milo goes to Alex for and the one that made them friends, that broke Alex and almost forced him into retirement. The new case is a double homicide - with a single witness - a non-reliable 7 years old girl that does not seem to be talking. Which leads to Milo calling on the only child psychologist that he knows - Alex Delaware.

It is a very dark novel, not as dark as some of the newer books but extremely dark anyway. Child abuse, an old conspiracy and blackmail are intertwined in a story that makes you hope that this cannot happen in the real world... and chills your bones knowing that it does.

It is a wonderful start to a series that I had grown to really like. I miss the side characters and the more mature friendship of the two men but then as a first book, you cannot expect that. The only reason I miss them is because I know what that brings to the stories. Onto book 2 in the series shortly. ( )
  AnnieMod | Mar 24, 2016 |
Tom Weiner
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I read a few of Kellerman's books way back when, also way into the series (flesh and blood, dr. death, etc...) By this point Alex and Milo had already solidified their relationship and Alex knew the mud that would inevitably cover his boots. I put them down for a few years until recently as I have developed a weird interest in terrible 1990's criminal intent and criminal minds shows.

These fine novels (30 of them I might add) were glaringly watching me in all of this time and I am very glad I decided to pick them up again. This first novel in the Alex Delaware series shows a timid, hedonist Delaware whom was just sliding into his early retirement inadvertently forced into a strange public service. Honestly, it's his fault for being such a badass.

I found these pages terribly difficult to put down for Delaware, through guise, wits and sheer genius cracked this case wide open where otherwise the trail was dead cold, pun intended. There where quite a few heated moments and a bit of action when it was necessary. I rated this as 5 stars because 6 is currently unavailable.

Joseph_Stelmaszek | Nov 29, 2015 |
To Faye, Jesse and Rachel
It was shaping up as a beautiful morning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345466608, Mass Market Paperback)

In the first Alex Delaware novel, Dr.  Morton Handler practiced a strange brand of psychiatry.  Among his specialties were fraud, extortion, and  sexual manipulation. Handler paid for his sins when  he was brutally murdered in his luxurious Pacific  Palisades apartment. The police have no leads, but  they do have one possible witness: seven-year-old  Melody Quinn.

It's psychologist Dr. Alex  Delaware's job to try to unlock the terrible secret  buried in Melody's memory. But as the sinister  shadows in the girl's mind begin to take shape, Alex  discovers that the mystery touches a shocking  incident in his own past.

This connection is  only the beginning, a single link in a  forty-year-old conspiracy. And behind it lies an unspeakable  evil that Alex Delaware must expose before it  claims another innocent victim: Melody Quinn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

Child psychologist Alex Delaware examines a disturbed young girl and uncovers evidence of a brutal double murder, a child molester's grisly suicide, and a horrible forty-year old secret that continues to have an effect today.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible