When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Novels)…

When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Novels) (original 1985; edition 1993)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Member:Neverwithoutabook
Title:When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Novels)
Authors:Jonathan Kellerman
Info:Bantam (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Store, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

When the Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman (1985)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
KIndle, mystery ( )
  krv64 | Apr 17, 2014 |
I listened to the audiobook version of this. I enjoyed it even though the topic is so twisted and sick. I will be reading more Alex Delaware books in the future. I will try to find them in print or ebook rather than audio though so I can skim over the excessive use of certain profanities. ( )
  Barb_H | Feb 13, 2014 |
Relatively interesting plot, although really unbelievable. Characters are interesting, likeable. Not sure I find it entertaining enough to get myself involved in the series, but I was kept interested enough to keep turning the pages (well, figuratively, since I was listening to the audiobook.) Middle-of-the-road for the genre. ( )
  TerriBooks | Oct 29, 2013 |
It began with a double murder: particularly vicious, particularly gruesome. There was only one witness: but little Melody Quinn can't or won't say a word. Which is where child psychologist Alex Delaware comes in - and takes the first step into a maelstrom of atrocitiesÖA breathtaking novel about the sewer of perversion and corruption lying below the glittering surface of California cool.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
It's not strange how being older and not wiser but more aware makes someone a more critical reader. It's still a good novel but there are pieces of it that made me want to spit and hurl my Kindle across the room. My memories of Alex Delaware were good and I was in my late twenties, early thirties when I first read this series so all the macho posturing and sexist remarks probably annoyed me but I must have let it go. This time, well, I kept reading because I love Milo, Doctor Delaware I would gladly send him on his way. I know why I had stopped reading the later books but now, I'm not revisiting the earlier one any time soon.

So the plot, it's about child molesters and entitled white men that think because they have power, money they can use up children. That's the plot in a nutshell. I've read better novels with the same plot, John Morgan Wilson does a much better job and makes you care unlike Kellerman who made me want to smack Alex around.

2 stars because of Milo and only because of Milo. ( )
1 vote writerlibrarian | Aug 25, 2013 |
To Faye, Jesse and Rachel
It was shaping up as a beautiful morning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345466608, Mass Market Paperback)

In the first Alex Delaware novel, Dr.  Morton Handler practiced a strange brand of psychiatry.  Among his specialties were fraud, extortion, and  sexual manipulation. Handler paid for his sins when  he was brutally murdered in his luxurious Pacific  Palisades apartment. The police have no leads, but  they do have one possible witness: seven-year-old  Melody Quinn.

It's psychologist Dr. Alex  Delaware's job to try to unlock the terrible secret  buried in Melody's memory. But as the sinister  shadows in the girl's mind begin to take shape, Alex  discovers that the mystery touches a shocking  incident in his own past.

This connection is  only the beginning, a single link in a  forty-year-old conspiracy. And behind it lies an unspeakable  evil that Alex Delaware must expose before it  claims another innocent victim: Melody Quinn.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:23 -0400)

Child psychologist Alex Delaware examines a disturbed young girl and uncovers evidence of a brutal double murder, a child molester's grisly suicide, and a horrible forty-year old secret that continues to have an effect today.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible