Christine (French Edition) by Stephen King

Christine (French Edition) (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Christine (French Edition)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:LGF (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 411 pages
Rating:*****

Christine by Stephen King (1983)

English (57)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (61)
i like this book better in my memory of it than i did reading it this time, although it ends well, almost making me forget that. between 3 and 3.5 stars.

early on, the pacing was a bit slow for what he was doing, i think. he is usually so good at pacing that this surprised me, so maybe it's just me, but i wanted it a little faster and tighter. it picked up though, about 40% of the way through, and as the story moved forward, he never lost the rhythm. each chapter starts with a quote from a song that is about cars, and while there are a ton of them to choose from, i'm still impressed at how each of those quotes actually worked for what happened in the chapter they headed. and overall i like what he's doing here, even as it ends up being a little more...of the zombie/vampire variety than i prefer (without being about zombies/vampires). it's about evil and the nature of it, like he so often explores, and i guess you could say how that's passed down to others. it's about friendship - these are the parts of the book that moved me the most - and growing up. it's actually kind of similar in concept to the shining in that he places evil somewhere (a car vs a piece of land/hotel) and watches the effect it has on someone who is isolated. here, he's isolated because he's an outcast, an outsider, and so is more easily manipulated. i feel like this is a theme that's worth spending time with and revisiting, and this feels really, really different from the shining, so i'm glad to have reread it.

and even while i liked it better the first time (or two?) that i read this, i still quite liked it this time, and i really, really like the very end. as to just before the end, i think i'm just getting soft as i get older, because i really wanted what dennis and leigh did to save arnie, even if later, as implied, everyone associated with the story/car will die. i wanted dennis's act and his friendship to save arnie, whereas usually one of the things that i most like about stephen king's books is that, like in real life, it often doesn't work out this way. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jun 21, 2015 |
First off, I'm a King fanboy, but I'm a little different from other fanboys. Here's what I think: When King's good, he's the best in the business. When he sucks, he's still readable, but it pisses me the fuck off because I know what he's capable of. Being readable even when he's off his game is how he's maintained my fandom while Koontz and Saul eventually lost my monetary involvement. I will still read the latter, but only through NetGallery and library borrows. With every King release, I purchase the audio book for road trips, the ebook for reading, and the hardcover for my collection. When the paperback drops, I buy that for rereads, because I still prefer physical books to digital materials, and I refuse to crack open my first edition hardcovers. So yes, I am a fanboy. But I also know that King has had his shit books. Fortunately, only a third of this book drew a frown down my face. For those of you that want to cry "Hater!" I will explain. Extensively. Spoilers ahead. You have been warned.

The beginning of this book gets five stars. I loved the interaction between Dennis and Arnie, and even loved the inclusion of Leigh. That familiar sense of dread that is felt throughout all of Stephen King's beginnings is showcased here. The character development is also quite strong with Christine. We know Arnie is going to go bad, and we hate that. But this is King. We signed up for this ride not to witness a happy ending but to see just how fucked up things are going to get before the final page is flipped.

Then we hit part two like a milk truck sliding across icy tarmac before crashing into your local meeting of Lactose Anonymous. The middle of this book is a low three stars for me. We're ripped out of Dennis's intimate first-person POV and shoved wily-nily up the exhaust pipe of some strange omniscient narrator. Dafuq just happened? I want Dennis back. Gimme back Dennis, you uppity fuckwit! The narrative further devolves into a slasher film wherein the masked killer has been replaced by an unstoppable car. Some of these scenes are riveting, but others fall flat as cardboard, and still others are told completely off camera. It's as if King got tired of describing the killings so he...

Hopped back into Dennis's head for the denouement (aka Part Three). What the farfegnugen? Okay, well, I guess I got my wish. I'm back with Dennis, and I'm enjoying the ride once more. People are still dying, but that's taken a back seat. In fact, the detective, the guy that's a huge part of part two, dies so far off camera I didn't at first realize he'd been run off the road. King breezes so quickly over his death that I thought it was some nobody, some inconsequential lout who just happened to shit in Lebay's cornflakes on one of his off days. But no. It's the main dick. His death is given a single paragraph, and we're back on the road.

While reading this, I continuously came across parts I recalled and then whole sections I don't remember happening, like, at all. Which leads me to believe I only skimmed through this one when I first read it, quite possibly because the middle-way narrator switch upset me so completely. I remembered the shit truck instead of the CAT, like what's in the movie, but I completely forgot about Arnie and Regina's deaths. Do I still classify this as a reread? Ya betcha bald tires I do. And yes, I still enjoy the movie over the book. Carpenter's telling is succinct, but it does sacrifice the amazing character development of Part One, so take your pick. Tight story or some damn fine getting-to-know-you? Remember, though, that the getting-to-know-you sections end at Part Two and never, ever, come back.

Last but not least, I listened to most of this book. If you have the chance, and are into audio books, pick up the Audible edition narrated by Holter Graham. Dude was fantastic.

Notable names:
Trelawney (Carrie and Mr. Mercedes)

In summation: I have no idea why King didn't write this entire book in third person. Having Dennis tell only two parts of this three act play makes zero sense because the book is supposed to be written by Dennis. But Dennis doesn't tell the second act. Faceless, nameless narrator does. My computer doesn't. compute. I threw a rod and cracked my head. If you don't think you'll mind this, I can dig it. You'll probably love this whole book. It's a rad story, and King manages to make a story about a killer car readable and, for the most part, entertaining. And not in a cheesy way, either. That alone is a massive achievement. Not the best thing King's written, but far from the worst.

Now getcher motors running, and get the fuck out my face. Next stop: Pet Sematary... yay? ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Haunted car? Pimply faced high schooler buys a 20 year old car and they fall for each other. Told from the perspective of his friend, the book keeps you in suspense...all through. Even when the discussion wanders to high school things, like chess club and football, you're wondering what Christine (the car) is doing next. When you're pretty sure something is wrong with the car, it does something else that makes you wonder. Glad my high school car wasn't haunted. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 23, 2015 |
I've been re-reading King's works for the last several years now. The last few books were not horror stories so I was looking forward to getting back to the genre with this one. However "Christine" is about on opar with "Firestarter" with me. The book drags on as the entire first half is set-up. It is not until about page 250 that anyone gets killed. There is a limited number of characters here for such a hefty book; I much prefer when King carries a large cast as in Salem's Loty or The shing as he is a master at weaving their stories together. Christine spends so much time droning on about the few characters involved that I actually didn't care for any of them deeply. I had no real liking for anyone; they could have all died and I wouldn't have been surprised and Christine/Roland D. LeBay didn't instill any terror in me as the villain. Nothing of particular note stands out in this one for me. It was readable but too slow and drawn out for my tastes. The ending to this book though is different from previous ones to this point as while there is a finite ending, much more so than ever before there is a real impression that the evil still exists and more of the story is out there to be told.

I always look for connections while reading with King's multiverse, but didn't find anything related to previous books here. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jan 15, 2015 |
Absolutely ridiculous book bordering on camp, but I plan on making a playlist for it anyway that you can play while you drive your possessed car, WATCH THIS SPACE! ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
A POSSESSED car? An insanely angry 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine that drives itself around attacking people? This time Stephen King has gone too far, I said to myself as I began to catch the drift of his eighth and latest horror novel, ''Christine.'' This time he's not going to get me the way he did in ''The Shining,'' ''The Stand,'' ''Cujo'' and his other maniacal stories. This time he's just going to leave me cold.

SEVERAL years ago Stephen King published ''Night Shift,'' a collection of short stories that had appeared in magazines before his debut as a novelist. Among them was ''Trucks,'' in which the products of Detroit's auto industry were anthropomorphized and portrayed as barbaric, homicidal and utterly antihuman. I recall the piece vividly, because Mr. King made those vehicles - all vehicles - live not only on the page but in my imagination. ''Trucks'' might also have been the inspiration for Mr. King's latest novel.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hey, lookie there!
Across the street!
There's a car made just for me,
To own that car would be a luxury. . .
This is for George Romero and Chris Forrest Romero. And the Burg.
This is the story of a lover's triangle, I suppose you'd say -- Arnie Cunningham, Leigh Cabot, and, of course, Christine.

(Prologue)
"Oh my God!" my friend Arnie Cunningham cried out suddenly.
I think part of being a parent is trying to kill your kids.

Christine is no lady, but 17-year-old Arnie Cunningham loves her enough to do anything to possess her. Arnie's best friend Dennis distrusts her at first sight. Arnie's teen-queen girlfriend Leigh fears her the moment she senses her power. Arnie's parents, teachers and enemies soon learn what happens when you cross her. Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ulitimate, blackly evil vehicle of horror... (0-451-12838-9)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451160444, Mass Market Paperback)

HELL ON WHEELS...

It was love at first sight. From the moment seventeen-year-old Arnie Cunningham saw Christine, he knew he would do anything to possess her. But Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ultimate vehicle of terror

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Stephen King's tale of a possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury. Arnie buys an old Plymouth that has mystical powers to possess and destroy. She purrs like a kitten ... but watch out when she roars.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,498,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible