Christine (French Edition) by Stephen King

Christine (French Edition) (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

5,131None868 (3.51)102
Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Christine (French Edition)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:LGF (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 411 pages
Rating:*****

Christine by Stephen King (1983)

20th century (23) American (17) American literature (14) car (40) cars (73) ebook (21) fantasy (24) fiction (468) hardcover (22) high school (21) horror (868) horror fiction (29) King (55) made into movie (31) movie (24) novel (65) own (21) owned (12) paperback (26) possessed (12) possession (26) read (87) Roman (14) Stephen King (120) supernatural (57) suspense (36) teenagers (15) thriller (65) to-read (33) unread (13)

English (51)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (55)
When I read this book, I was dating a guy with an Apache truck. After this book, I refused to ride in the truck for a week.

Some say this was a little long winded. I say, go write your own book, then lets see who is the better author! Who would ever come up with a concept of a car coming to life, have feelings, then kill off people who betray it? I'll tell you, a sick and twisted man, Stephen King!

I loved this book. It was a great read back in 1990 when I read it. I think this book was my second Stephen King novel to read. I would suggest it to anyone! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Trip down memory lane....I first read this book in my twenties. Now in my forties and it has not lost any of its magic. Story of Arnie, the outcast teenager and his love triangle with leigh cabot and Christine, the car. Arnie is sold the '58 ford car by Roland Lebay. However, what follows changes Arnie's life as the car and Lebay take over his life body and soul. Christine is a formidable lover and does not want to lose Arnie at any cost...even if that means killing for him.

Just brilliant. So enjoyed re-reading this book and loved every minute of it. King shows how "kids are the downtrodden class." It encompasses so many themes about being a teenager: falling in love, teenage angst but on a much deeper and sinister level. ( )
  lindzjphil | Jan 21, 2014 |
I've been trying to remember the first Stephen King book that I read, and I can't quite do it. I remember reading the Dark Tower series when I was in junior high (back when the "series" consisted of a whopping two books), and I'm pretty sure that wasn't my first King experience. It may have been Misery (which I remember consuming in one fevered day and night after seeing the movie in the theater) or Pet Sematary, or it may have been The Dark Half. The Eyes of the Dragon is also a possibility, but I don't think so--I'm pretty sure it was a more mainstream horror offering.

At any rate, the point is that I came to King's work in the late '80s or perhaps as late as 1990, when he was already well into his career and had a substantial backlist. Over the years since then, I've managed to catch up with nearly all of the older titles (yes, I even tracked down an old copy of The Bachman Books that still included Rage). Somehow, Christine managed to slip through the cracks each time. Not that I thought much about it, but if I had to explain why, I'd say I thought the concept of a haunted/possessed car seemed a little thin to carry a whole novel. Recently, though, a paperback copy found its way into my hands, and I figured it was finally time to give it a go.

You'd think that I would have learned over time not to get too caught up in what a King book is ostensibly about, and just to sit back and trust him to take me on a ride. If I hadn't before, I have now. Yes, boiled down to its most basic plot point, this book is about a haunted/possessed car with evil intent, but, as is always the case, there's so much more to the story. It's really about relationships--evolving childhood friendships, first loves, parents and their teenage children, etc. The car is just the engine that drives it, if you will. That part of the book is fun, but the real heart lies in the rest. You could take Christine and all the supernatural elements completely out and still have a compelling story about outcast Arnie (Christine's owner) as he comes into his own, his cool friend Dennis (our once and future narrator), and Leigh (the Girl), not to mention their parents. I really enjoyed it.

Of course, coming to it at this point, I was struck by some comparisons to other King novels. The first and easiest is Carrie, of course, with Arnie being her spiritual sibling--misunderstood, picked on, cast out, both come into a power that they use to lash out at their enemies. It also brought to mind Apt Pupil, when Todd Bowden, like Arnie, finds an object of obsession that brings about a spiral into madness and destruction. And there's also the aforementioned The Eyes of the Dragon, in which, like Arnie, Prince/King Thomas is mostly a decent-hearted youth who finds himself as an instrument of evil that's far beyond his control or comprehension. I think that's kind of an interesting look at the way King explores similar themes that obviously fascinate him.

Looking over King's oeuvre, I'm pretty sure the only other one I've missed to this point is Dolores Claiborne (although I have seen most of the movie). I imagine I'll be picking that one up at some point as well. ( )
  jonwwil | Jan 7, 2014 |
One of the most satisfying horror novels I've read in some time, King has perfect pacing here, and creates a wonderful villain in the classic old car, Christine. The voices in the work are pitch perfect, and the suspense is near constant. Aspects of the work--technology, slang, etc.--are of course dated, but the details serve up an all too realistic time and place just the same. On the whole, I enjoyed nearly ever minute of this--the masterful mix of horror, suspense, and humor bring the story to full life, and it's a wonderful ride. Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Dec 28, 2013 |
A POSSESSED car? An insanely angry 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine that drives itself around attacking people? This time Stephen King has gone too far, I said to myself as I began to catch the drift of his eighth and latest horror novel, ''Christine.'' This time he's not going to get me the way he did in ''The Shining,'' ''The Stand,'' ''Cujo'' and his other maniacal stories. This time he's just going to leave me cold.

SEVERAL years ago Stephen King published ''Night Shift,'' a collection of short stories that had appeared in magazines before his debut as a novelist. Among them was ''Trucks,'' in which the products of Detroit's auto industry were anthropomorphized and portrayed as barbaric, homicidal and utterly antihuman. I recall the piece vividly, because Mr. King made those vehicles - all vehicles - live not only on the page but in my imagination. ''Trucks'' might also have been the inspiration for Mr. King's latest novel.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hey, lookie there!
Across the street!
There's a car made just for me,
To own that car would be a luxury. . .
This is for George Romero and Chris Forrest Romero. And the Burg.
This is the story of a lover's triangle, I suppose you'd say -- Arnie Cunningham, Leigh Cabot, and, of course, Christine.

(Prologue)
"Oh my God!" my friend Arnie Cunningham cried out suddenly.
I think part of being a parent is trying to kill your kids.

Christine is no lady, but 17-year-old Arnie Cunningham loves her enough to do anything to possess her. Arnie's best friend Dennis distrusts her at first sight. Arnie's teen-queen girlfriend Leigh fears her the moment she senses her power. Arnie's parents, teachers and enemies soon learn what happens when you cross her. Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ulitimate, blackly evil vehicle of horror... (0-451-12838-9)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451160444, Mass Market Paperback)

HELL ON WHEELS...

It was love at first sight. From the moment seventeen-year-old Arnie Cunningham saw Christine, he knew he would do anything to possess her. But Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ultimate vehicle of terror

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:25 -0400)

Stephen King's tale of a possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury. Arnie buys an old Plymouth that has mystical powers to possess and destroy. She purrs like a kitten ... but watch out when she roars.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible