Christine (French Edition) by Stephen King

Christine (French Edition) (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Christine (French Edition)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:LGF (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 411 pages
Rating:*****

Christine by Stephen King (1983)

English (55)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (59)
Haunted car? Pimply faced high schooler buys a 20 year old car and they fall for each other. Told from the perspective of his friend, the book keeps you in suspense...all through. Even when the discussion wanders to high school things, like chess club and football, you're wondering what Christine (the car) is doing next. When you're pretty sure something is wrong with the car, it does something else that makes you wonder. Glad my high school car wasn't haunted. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 23, 2015 |
I've been re-reading King's works for the last several years now. The last few books were not horror stories so I was looking forward to getting back to the genre with this one. However "Christine" is about on opar with "Firestarter" with me. The book drags on as the entire first half is set-up. It is not until about page 250 that anyone gets killed. There is a limited number of characters here for such a hefty book; I much prefer when King carries a large cast as in Salem's Loty or The shing as he is a master at weaving their stories together. Christine spends so much time droning on about the few characters involved that I actually didn't care for any of them deeply. I had no real liking for anyone; they could have all died and I wouldn't have been surprised and Christine/Roland D. LeBay didn't instill any terror in me as the villain. Nothing of particular note stands out in this one for me. It was readable but too slow and drawn out for my tastes. The ending to this book though is different from previous ones to this point as while there is a finite ending, much more so than ever before there is a real impression that the evil still exists and more of the story is out there to be told.

I always look for connections while reading with King's multiverse, but didn't find anything related to previous books here. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jan 15, 2015 |
Absolutely ridiculous book bordering on camp, but I plan on making a playlist for it anyway that you can play while you drive your possessed car, WATCH THIS SPACE! ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
Christine by Stephen King; (3*)

Ever wondered about those guys who say: "I love my car", and look like they really mean it? Have you ever sympathized with wives and girlfriends who had a pained expression on their face as they complained: "He loves that car more than me"?
Christine is a 1958 Plymouth Fury, as red as the blood spilt during every term of ownership, in one of author Stephen King's best horror stories about man's abiding passion for cars, the need for speed, a greedy jealous love, and an obsession that turns into possession.
Arnie Cunningham is a lonely dork, bullied and rejected at school because of his looks and demeanor, in a plot thread reminiscent of King's earlier book, Carrie, with the tormented being pushed to breaking point and taking bloody revenge on their tormentors. In Christine, the bullies are rebel Buddy Repperton and his gang, who torture weaker kids whenever they get the chance. Arnie's only friend is football playing jock, Dennis Guilder, who narrates the story as a witness to the unfolding horror and ensuing tragedy. Arnie's talent and passion is for auto-mechanics and he yearns for his own set of wheels. When he sees Christine, rusting and rotting away, in caustic old timer Roland D. Lebay's driveway, it's love at first sight.
Unknown to Arnie, Christine is possessed by a malign evil force that at first seduces and then destroys every owner.
Arnie's attitude changes with his taste in clothes. His mood becomes darker and belligerent as he fixes up Christine, wins the most lusted-after girl in school, Leigh Cabot, and then alienates both his parents and Dennis.
For a while, Christine becomes the only good thing in Arnie's life. She makes him feel invincible. But, like some bad people in society; the narcissistic, the sociopathic, those with no conscience who use, discard when there's nothing left, then move on to the next victim, Christine is spiteful, seductively evil and relentless in her quest to take her owners on a fast ride straight to hell.
Like Arnie points out: the thing about love ... it eats ... it has a voracious, all-consuming appetite, leaving no room for anything or anyone else.
How far will you go for your love?
When you look at that prized possession in your life, that which Stephen King might have referred to in another of his stories as a "needful thing", ask yourself a question: do you own it, or does it own you?
Creeeeeeepy!~! ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Nov 2, 2014 |
I read this before I was 16, and I must be honest, I was just a little afraid I would have a car that would act like Christine did....thankfully my need for speed overtook that fear. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
A POSSESSED car? An insanely angry 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine that drives itself around attacking people? This time Stephen King has gone too far, I said to myself as I began to catch the drift of his eighth and latest horror novel, ''Christine.'' This time he's not going to get me the way he did in ''The Shining,'' ''The Stand,'' ''Cujo'' and his other maniacal stories. This time he's just going to leave me cold.

SEVERAL years ago Stephen King published ''Night Shift,'' a collection of short stories that had appeared in magazines before his debut as a novelist. Among them was ''Trucks,'' in which the products of Detroit's auto industry were anthropomorphized and portrayed as barbaric, homicidal and utterly antihuman. I recall the piece vividly, because Mr. King made those vehicles - all vehicles - live not only on the page but in my imagination. ''Trucks'' might also have been the inspiration for Mr. King's latest novel.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hey, lookie there!
Across the street!
There's a car made just for me,
To own that car would be a luxury. . .
This is for George Romero and Chris Forrest Romero. And the Burg.
This is the story of a lover's triangle, I suppose you'd say -- Arnie Cunningham, Leigh Cabot, and, of course, Christine.

(Prologue)
"Oh my God!" my friend Arnie Cunningham cried out suddenly.
I think part of being a parent is trying to kill your kids.

Christine is no lady, but 17-year-old Arnie Cunningham loves her enough to do anything to possess her. Arnie's best friend Dennis distrusts her at first sight. Arnie's teen-queen girlfriend Leigh fears her the moment she senses her power. Arnie's parents, teachers and enemies soon learn what happens when you cross her. Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ulitimate, blackly evil vehicle of horror... (0-451-12838-9)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451160444, Mass Market Paperback)

HELL ON WHEELS...

It was love at first sight. From the moment seventeen-year-old Arnie Cunningham saw Christine, he knew he would do anything to possess her. But Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ultimate vehicle of terror

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:25 -0400)

Stephen King's tale of a possessed 1958 Plymouth Fury. Arnie buys an old Plymouth that has mystical powers to possess and destroy. She purrs like a kitten ... but watch out when she roars.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,167,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible