Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

English (56)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (58)
I am loving these books, and although they do require a little more active close reading than most, I'm still not feeling that they are difficult. Rather I suspect these are books I will continue to re-read for years to come, and still pick up more and more every time.
Full review @ Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
My final thoughts on this book come down to how much the good outweighs the things I wasn't thrilled about. The answer is a lot. After thinking about it, I think I loved this book. There are so many reasons for that - Coltaine and his Wickans, the sappers in Coltaine's army, his warlocks, the crazy Wickan dogs, Fiddler, Mappo and Icarium, Apt, Kalam and so on.

Coltaine is larger than life. 'Coltaine never made speeches to his troops, and while he was often seen by his soldiers, he did not make a point of it as many commanders did. Yet those soldiers belonged to him now, as if the Fist could fill every silent space with a physical assurance as solid as a gripping of forearms.' We follow more than one group of characters and more than one storyline. Some of them even travel part of the way with some other group, helping, fighting, arguing, suffering. True, sometimes I wanted the scene to be over already (mostly involving Felisin) or I was enraged (refugee nobles), but the rest, oh the rest was so great.

Felisin started as a heartbreaking child to become an almost too stupid to live sixteen year old to end up as something completely new. I felt for her in the beginning, I did. I felt for her in the end of the book too. The parts in between are what annoyed me. To be fair, they probably won't annoy people who mostly read young adult books (they are used to certain things). Her character only got her journey without the final performance. I suppose we'll see that particular show in the following books. The storyline of Felisin and her sister Adjunct Tavore, who sent her to prison in the first place, is still not finished.

We follow the march of Coltaine's army with thousands of refugees, the Chain of Dogs, through the eyes of the bravest and the most pessimistic historian the Malazan Empire ever had. Duiker's first thought about anything is that it won't work. There are so many powerful scenes in this book. 'Each of the three forces outnumbered Coltaine's by a large margin. A roar began building from the army of the Apocalypse, along with a rhythmic clash of weapons on shields.
The marines marched towards the crossing in silence. Voices and clangour rolled over them like a wave. The Seventh did not falter.' They are outnumbered, they are supposed to be weak. The last sentence of that quote made my hair stand on end.
I wish some of the refugee nobles suffered more, but I might be too bloodthirsty.

Overall, the abundance of themes, meanings, symbolism and hints of the things to come can be a bit overwhelming, but it is definitely worth reading.

I'm having real difficulties to stop adding stuff here. ( )
1 vote Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
As with the previous one in the series, there is a LOT going on, it felt long but probably because I didn't have much chance to read in long stretches, had to keep re-reasing its to see what was happening...
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Reread: Still the best of the best, even 10 years, and hundreds of books after my first encounter.. ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
War breaks the Empire. In the Holy Desert Raraku a long prophesied uprising is prepared, leading to a desperate battle between the followers of the Whirlwind and an untested Fist. Meanwhile two ancient warrior, both bearers of dark secrets, join this complicated history.
Two comrades are still continuing their plan though both are destined to walk a different path.

“Ah, Fist, it’s the curse of history that those who should read them, never do.”

Again an amazing book written by a genius.

Like in the first part of this series this book is divided into parts and those parts again into different chapters.
Throughout this book you'll follow five different story lines. Some characters are already familiar but there are some new entries in this second book. Those new characters are quite interesting, each one adding a new dimension to this story and this makes for a rather interesting story.

I am somewhat reluctant to go into much detail about this book because I tend too give to much information and I really think that you have to read the book yourself to really get the awesomeness.
Here's what I think: IT WAS GREAT.
Okay mostly great.In every book there are some slightly less interesting parts but most of the time the book was spot on and kept a good enough pace. Most of the time however it was an amazing book to read and though it took me a while to finish it, I enjoyed every minute.
Because of the new characters, both human and other, there were new dimensions added to the story. I'll take two examples:

Mappo and Icarium, both warriors, have been wandering these lands for thousands of years. Because of these two characters, and some others, the reader will get a look at the history of the empires that existed before the Malazan Empire. These two will open a door to more information about the ancient warrens that have been around for thousands upon thousands of years.
Duiker, the Imperial historian. He travels with the army assaulted by the forces of the uprising and he will be the reader's eyes and ears for this part of the story. Through him you will obtain, in great detail, the life among such an army and some knowledge about the Malazan Empire.

Of course there is far more to know but, like I already said before, I will not get into a lot of detail on the contents.

This book was exactly what I expected of Erikson and it made me happy in so many ways.
His way of telling this story is just captivating. He can make you fall in love with a character, make you hate another one with the intensity of a thousand suns and simply let you care about them like you have known them yourselves. Personally I had no real problem with the fact that most of the characters of the first book did not make a reappearance, I guess they will just return in the next part. These knew characters really made for an interesting read.
It is all so well written and it is all worked out perfectly from the first to the last page.
I had no problem at all with the changing of the storyline. Yes, sometimes it can be a little frustrating after really wanting to know what will happen next and then suddenly you're reading about some old man looking for a broom of some kind... but shit happens right? But still every storyline was interesting in its own way and it kept me hooked until the very end.
The last thing I want to mention is about the detail. Some of you might already know about my love for detail and this book has not let me down one bit. In some cases it was like I was there myself, seeing what the character was seeing at that point. Of course some things were somewhat hard to picture but here's an example of what I think is lovely imagery:

“And over it all, the butterflies swarmed, like a million yellow-pettalled flowers dancing on swirling winds.” ( )
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348799, Mass Market Paperback)

In the vast dominion of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha'ik and her followers prepare for the long-prophesied uprising known as the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in size and savagery, this maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust will embroil the Malazan Empire in one of the bloodiest conflicts it has ever known, shaping destinies and giving birth to legends . . .
Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by dark, uncontrollable magic, this thrilling novel of war, intrigue and betrayal confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality--the author who has written the first great fantasy epic of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:01 -0400)

Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,455,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible