Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

English (45)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (47)
Deadhouse Gates, by Steven Erikson, is the second book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen. The story follows the events of an uprising on the Seven Cities, telling it through the eyes of different characters with different objectives. Kalam, who appeared in the first book, is on a task to kill Empress Laseen, in the end confronting her, getting to know what her reasons were for what she did. After a while, Kalam finds out that she wasn't really there; whereas he decides not to continue the hunt and instead settle dwon with Minala. Fiddler, also from the first book and also on a mission to kill the Empress, travels with Apsalar and Crokus, both from the first book, to bring back Apsalar to her father. They use the Deadhouse Gates to meet up with Kalam, where they all make some deal with Shadowthrone (who is actually the Emperor Kellanved); Fiddler joins the Malazan force supposed to put down the rebellion; Crokus, Apsalar and Apsalar's father settle down on the Kanese coast; and Kalam and Minala take care of orphaned children. Duiker, an Imperial historian, is with Coltaine's army, which is trying to escort thousands of Malazan civilians to Aren, while being attacked by the rebels. Duiker and the refugees make it, but Coltaine and his army are trapped outside the walls and die. Duiker and most of the Aren army are crucified after their Fist foolishly tries to destroy the besieging force but is instead trapped himself and has his army surrender. Mappo, a Trell, and Icarium, a Jaghut, are traveling through the desert. Icarium has lost his memory, but Mappo knows that Icarium possesses a rage that can be stopped by nothing, so Mappo tries to protect him. They meet Fiddler, Crokus, and Apsalar along their journey, with Icarium getting to know who he really is but losing his memory again. Finally, Heboric and Felisin, an ex-priest of Fener and a nobleborn, escape from a prisoner camp and try to survive the desert. Felisin eventually becomes Sha' ik, the leader of the Rebellion(a.k.a. the Whirlwind).
This book was most definetely a change from the first one. The first book slowly built up the story and characters in the first half. This one starts with action straight off the bat. This book is a great example of how intertwining storylines can really help a story. While some stories I liked more than others, I cannnot say I was ever bored. My favorite storyline was Duiker's, it's just too bad he had to die. Great book, most definetely deserves 5 stars. ( )
  JanW.B1 | Apr 1, 2014 |
I'm starting to realize that these books just hint at the fullness of world in which these books are situated. Odd, as I was a little annoyed at the breadth of this book. It's never good when you open a book and the cast of characters spans more than three pages. But Erikson always manages to just tell enough, to keep the world mysterious but the plot tangible.

There is some corniness in the writing, mostly the italic thoughts of characters or some dialogue, but this is a serious book of fantasy, a series I know intend to finish. And the writing gets better as the story moves. You have to trust an author before devouring all 11 books of a series. ( )
  TJWilson | Mar 14, 2014 |
Boring :(
  pashaie | Jan 3, 2014 |
This is Book 2 in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. A slow paced book, with period of action and excitement sprinkled in between. In this book, there are a host of new characters and only few of the ones from Book 1. We also follow a bunch of stories based on those characters, set presumably in the same time frame - some of those stories and characters converge within the book, others I believe are left for another day. In this book, we don't get to meet the mighty Anomander Rake, but there is a new, mighty character to meet and follow, over extended periods. And finally we catch a glimpse, a hint, a shadow, of the legendary Empress.

The plot is still devoid of simplicities like Good Vs. Evil, and at best we pick our champions on a fight per fight basis, regardless of his/her affiliations. There is drama, there is politics, but less bouts of awesomeness, as were evident in Book 1. There is some bloodbath, but a surprising less slaying of major characters, Erikson seems to protect his characters, fatten them up for the impending showdown (I think), very un-Martinish in that. Which style is superior, we will leave that question for another day.

A worthy sequel, a book that is still setting up the series, building up the world, creating and fleshing out the characters. I will take up the next book book, perhaps after a short break of couple of months, given my relatively busy reading schedule in quarter 1 next year, more on that latter. ( )
  PiyushC | Dec 25, 2013 |
Originally 3 stars, but then Coltaine's death happened and the fourth star is for him. RIP the last of the wickan crow clan.

If you're looking for a way to get into this series and the first book ([b:Gardens of the Moon|55399|Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)|Steven Erikson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355144064s/55399.jpg|2646042]) is just too much of a chaotic uphill climb, skip it and start with this one instead. Come back later if you really want to know how events were set in motion. I wish someone had given me this piece of advice when I first got into this series. It would've made all the difference and saved a lot of time.

The thing with Erikson's writing is that it's all show and very little tell. It's plot driven and these events have been put in motion prior to the start of the series. You don't find out what these events are until you unravel the mysteries, one doorstop of a novel at a time. Like Gardens, this second installment has a couple dozen main characters and a hundred secondary characters, all of whom you should remember but most likely you won't. Unlike Gardens, there are more character development and explanations (not info-dumps). Also, there's less chaos, which makes for a smoother read and easy-to-follow intersecting story lines.

This book starts off in the dessert, half a world away from events in Gardens. Without giving too much away, there's a coup, an uprising, a mass exodus, close-call escapes, pissed off gods, higher powers at work, and, of course, tragedy and deaths. But don't worry. Tragedy is part of the game and death isn't always the end... ( )
  1stavenue | Sep 20, 2013 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348799, Mass Market Paperback)

In the vast dominion of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha'ik and her followers prepare for the long-prophesied uprising known as the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in size and savagery, this maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust will embroil the Malazan Empire in one of the bloodiest conflicts it has ever known, shaping destinies and giving birth to legends . . .
Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by dark, uncontrollable magic, this thrilling novel of war, intrigue and betrayal confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality--the author who has written the first great fantasy epic of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:40 -0400)

Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible