Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Bantam Books (2000), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 684 pages
Rating:*****

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

English (54)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (56)
As with the previous one in the series, there is a LOT going on, it felt long but probably because I didn't have much chance to read in long stretches, had to keep re-reasing its to see what was happening...
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Reread: Still the best of the best, even 10 years, and hundreds of books after my first encounter.. ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
War breaks the Empire. In the Holy Desert Raraku a long prophesied uprising is prepared, leading to a desperate battle between the followers of the Whirlwind and an untested Fist. Meanwhile two ancient warrior, both bearers of dark secrets, join this complicated history.
Two comrades are still continuing their plan though both are destined to walk a different path.

“Ah, Fist, it’s the curse of history that those who should read them, never do.”

Again an amazing book written by a genius.

Like in the first part of this series this book is divided into parts and those parts again into different chapters.
Throughout this book you'll follow five different story lines. Some characters are already familiar but there are some new entries in this second book. Those new characters are quite interesting, each one adding a new dimension to this story and this makes for a rather interesting story.

I am somewhat reluctant to go into much detail about this book because I tend too give to much information and I really think that you have to read the book yourself to really get the awesomeness.
Here's what I think: IT WAS GREAT.
Okay mostly great.In every book there are some slightly less interesting parts but most of the time the book was spot on and kept a good enough pace. Most of the time however it was an amazing book to read and though it took me a while to finish it, I enjoyed every minute.
Because of the new characters, both human and other, there were new dimensions added to the story. I'll take two examples:

Mappo and Icarium, both warriors, have been wandering these lands for thousands of years. Because of these two characters, and some others, the reader will get a look at the history of the empires that existed before the Malazan Empire. These two will open a door to more information about the ancient warrens that have been around for thousands upon thousands of years.
Duiker, the Imperial historian. He travels with the army assaulted by the forces of the uprising and he will be the reader's eyes and ears for this part of the story. Through him you will obtain, in great detail, the life among such an army and some knowledge about the Malazan Empire.

Of course there is far more to know but, like I already said before, I will not get into a lot of detail on the contents.

This book was exactly what I expected of Erikson and it made me happy in so many ways.
His way of telling this story is just captivating. He can make you fall in love with a character, make you hate another one with the intensity of a thousand suns and simply let you care about them like you have known them yourselves. Personally I had no real problem with the fact that most of the characters of the first book did not make a reappearance, I guess they will just return in the next part. These knew characters really made for an interesting read.
It is all so well written and it is all worked out perfectly from the first to the last page.
I had no problem at all with the changing of the storyline. Yes, sometimes it can be a little frustrating after really wanting to know what will happen next and then suddenly you're reading about some old man looking for a broom of some kind... but shit happens right? But still every storyline was interesting in its own way and it kept me hooked until the very end.
The last thing I want to mention is about the detail. Some of you might already know about my love for detail and this book has not let me down one bit. In some cases it was like I was there myself, seeing what the character was seeing at that point. Of course some things were somewhat hard to picture but here's an example of what I think is lovely imagery:

“And over it all, the butterflies swarmed, like a million yellow-pettalled flowers dancing on swirling winds.” ( )
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |
The second volume in this epic goes on much in the manner of the first.
It's not bad, but again, it just didn't grip me emotionally. Although it's certainly not succinct, at times I felt like the action was simply being outlined for me, rather than the text allowing me to live through the action with the characters. I think it doesn't help that frequently, due to magical elements of the plot (possession, shapeshifting, etc), the identity of characters is frequently changing and/or uncertain. I found myself frequently picking up a magazine instead, or getting impatient to move on to another book, rather than being absorbed in this story. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
(re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com/)

I don’t think I’ve encountered a single Malazan fan who doesn’t think that the second book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, Deadhouse Gates, is better than the first. So I’m hardly being original when I say this, but it still has to be said. Deadhouse Gates is a much better book than Gardens of the Moon.

And it’s not like Gardens of the Moon was a bad book, because it really, really wasn’t. Honestly I’m having trouble even identifying what it is about Deadhouse Gates that makes it seem so improved. This is going to sound ridiculously corny, but the only way I can describe it is to say that Deadhouse Gates has heart. I read Gardens of the Moon with half of my mind enjoying the story, and the other half analyzing it and trying to figure out what everything meant. As I said in my review of the book, to me Gardens of the Moon felt like a challenge. An enjoyable one, yes, but I was too busy trying to keep up to really immerse myself in the story.

This was not even slightly the case with Deadhouse Gates. The book certainly no less challenging than Gardens of the Moon (sure, we know who a bunch of people and events are now, but Erikson goes ahead and dumps a crap tonne more on you, lest you start getting cocky). All I know if while I read Gardens with an analytical mind, I read Deadhouse Gates totally and completely involved in the story. I didn’t take nearly as close a note of all the comments and references, but weirdly I feel as though I followed this one better.

There’s a scene, no spoilers here I promise, following a large battle where Erikson had me almost in tears. He had me felling truly wretched. And then only pages later there’s a scene where Coltraine is talking to the Malazan sappers (I'm sure anyone who has read the book will know what I'm talking about) and there I was with the huge, goofy grin on my face. I’m rarely very expressive when I read, but I think it would have been comical to watch my face while I read this book. Constant frowns and gasps and laughter.

The characters, both those we’d already met and newly introduced ones, went from being interesting people to being people I desperately cared about. And I think I just hit on why I found this book to be so much better. The characters. (Of course. Isn’t it always the characters?) When, for example, what happened to Crokus’s uncle in Gardens of the Moon happened, I thought it was some pretty cool writing but I wasn’t really sad or anything. But when what happened to, well, I could name pretty much any character from Deadhouse Gates here, happened, I was a wreck. I was right there with them, cheering or sobbing. Mostly sobbing. (Damn you Erikson!)

When I finished it I felt like I had run a marathon. I felt like I’d crossed the desert in Coltaine’s Chain of Dogs. In part because I normally average two books a week, and this thing took me almost a solid month to get through. But also because Erikson does not spare the reader at all. What his characters go through, you go through. And believe me, Erikson is not nice to his characters.

While I think I need to break from the Malazan world to recover (and I mean that in the best possible way) I look forward to continuing on in this series. I especially can’t wait to see Erikson’s improved skills applied to some of my favourite characters from Gardens of the Moon, like Anomander Rake or Whiskyjack. Or Quick Ben. Or Palan. Or, oh, Kruppe! And we can’t forget Brood… And I wonder if we’re going to meet that Prince who’s heading the Crimson Guard? And what about Tattersail? And, and, and…. ( )
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348799, Mass Market Paperback)

In the vast dominion of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha'ik and her followers prepare for the long-prophesied uprising known as the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in size and savagery, this maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust will embroil the Malazan Empire in one of the bloodiest conflicts it has ever known, shaping destinies and giving birth to legends . . .
Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by dark, uncontrollable magic, this thrilling novel of war, intrigue and betrayal confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality--the author who has written the first great fantasy epic of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:01 -0400)

Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,836,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible