Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Bantam Books (2000), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 684 pages
Rating:*****

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

English (50)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (52)
early in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, but epic, especially the Wickan Fist Coltaine's Chain of Dogs march. two historians anchor this one: the military historian Duiker with Coltaine and the exiled macro historian Heboric. best fantasy series of this era, painted on a very large canvas over hundred of thousands of years of time, Erikson is a master of switching his lens to capture the long view and the short. and he writes great dialogue: he must have a thousand continuing characters, at least, but you can always recognize them from any line. part of a bingewatch for me: this summer i've started into reading the ten-book series again, just because it's magnificent, the detail and imagination of this rich and oh so real world. ( )
  macha | Jul 13, 2015 |
My final thoughts on this book come down to how much the good outweighs the things I wasn't thrilled about. The answer is a lot. After thinking about it, I think I loved this book. There are so many reasons for that - Coltaine and his Wickans, the sappers in Coltaine's army, his warlocks, the crazy Wickan dogs, Fiddler, Mappo and Icarium, Apt, Kalam and so on.

Coltaine is larger than life. 'Coltaine never made speeches to his troops, and while he was often seen by his soldiers, he did not make a point of it as many commanders did. Yet those soldiers belonged to him now, as if the Fist could fill every silent space with a physical assurance as solid as a gripping of forearms.' We follow more than one group of characters and more than one storyline. Some of them even travel part of the way with some other group, helping, fighting, arguing, suffering. True, sometimes I wanted the scene to be over already (mostly involving Felisin) or I was enraged (refugee nobles), but the rest, oh the rest was so great.

Felisin started as a heartbreaking child to become an almost too stupid too live sixteen year old to end up as something completely new. I felt for her in the beginning, I did. I felt for her in the end of the book too. The parts in between are what annoyed me. To be fair, they probably won't annoy people who mostly read young adult books (they are used to certain things). Her character only got her journey without the final performance. I suppose we'll see that particular show in the following books. The storyline of Felisin and her sister Adjunct Tavore, who sent her to prison in the first place, is still not finished.

We follow the march of Coltaine's army with thousands of refugees, the Chain of Dogs, through the eyes of the bravest and the most pessimistic historian the Malazan Empire ever had. Duiker's first thought about anything is that it won't work. There are so many powerful scenes in this book. 'Each of the three forces outnumbered Coltaine's by a large margin. A roar began building from the army of the Apocalypse, along with a rhythmic clash of weapons on shields.
The marines marched towards the crossing in silence. Voices and clangour rolled over them like a wave. The Seventh did not falter.' They are outnumbered, they are supposed to be weak. The last sentence of that quote made my hair stand on end.
I wish some of the refugee nobles suffered more, but I might be too bloodthirsty.

Overall, the abundance of themes, meanings, symbolism and hints of the things to come can be a bit overwhelming, but it's is definitely worth reading.

I'm having real difficulties to stop adding stuff here. ( )
1 vote Irena. | Jun 13, 2015 |
I didn't think that I would like this series but it was recommended to me and I thought I would give it a shot. Once I got past the lack of explanation as to what the hell is going on I quite enjoyed the ride. ( )
  olstevie | May 22, 2015 |
Even though I struggled reading Gardens of the Moon, I am glad I read this book. I thought Deadhouse Gates was a fantastic read! It was very complex and long, yet still interesting and engaging. I can’t decide which book of the series is my favorite so far; they’re just so good. I just have to keep reading to find out if one really jumps out at me even more!

As in the previous book, the plot is very complex and there are many different events occurring throughout the novel. I thought the pace was absolutely perfect; however there were some parts I wasn’t as engaged in as I was in others, and that is just because I thought it was uninteresting at that time. I also liked following certain groups of characters more because their part of the story was more exciting. I also didn’t have as hard of a time understanding what was going on throughout the book. I think I am starting to become more familiar with Erikson’s world and his writing style.

The detail within this book is indescribable! I can’t believe how well Erikson can write and the emotions he can portray. Some of the scenes in the book were almost too horrible to read because you can just picture what the characters are seeing and feeling; really empathize with them. Just….wow! I felt the same way with his previous novel.

Also, with a novel of this size I was greatly impressed that there was no repetition from the previous novel. I hope this continues with the others. There are many other fantasy books that would be a lot shorter if everything that was restated was taken out. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is a great example of an irritating writing style.

Erikson made character swaps in this book, so we follow a few new characters and some old ones. The others are left for the next book I think. There are tons of characters in the book, but I think it’s important to pay special attention to some of them and there were some I enjoyed more than others.

There are several different threads we are following and the one I found most interesting was with Felisin (Paran’s sister from Gardens of the Moon), Heboric (ex priest and exiled historian) and Baudin who is their companion. I loved following their story because it was exciting and the characters are all very interesting.

The next group of characters are familiar to us. Fiddler, Crokus, Apsalar, and Kalam. There character building was awesome as well and there story. I loved learning more about them and having them become characters who I care about. Kalam separates from the group to go on his own mission and he finds Apt, whom I love! I had some major anxiety at the end of the book with Kalam and his mission. So exciting!

There are also Icarium (Jaghut), Mappo (his Trell companion), and Iskaral Pust who is a High Priest of Shadow. I found their story to be the least interesting of all of the threads. I’m not really sure why exactly. It’s hard to say. I just enjoyed the other groups so much more and not a lot seemed to happen with this group. However, they are important to the story and I loved the relationship between Icarium and Mappo!

There is also Duiker who is a historian. His story wasn’t very interesting at first, but by the end of the book I really liked him as a character and there are some things that happen with him that just left me horrified. I suppose his story wasn’t too interesting for me because it involved a lot of military tactics and the like because he travels with Coltaine’s army. There is just a point when I can’t read about battle strategies, etc. anymore. However, these battles are well described and towards the end left me speechless.

Some other important characters include Coltaine, who you get to know quite well through Duiker, and Korbolo Dom and Kamist Reloe who are opposing Coltaine. You don’t get to read from the point of view of Korbolo or Kamist so you don’t get to know them too well, but they are important characters.

I think that if I re-read the book I would enjoy the characters even more knowing what I know now and pick up on some things I might have missed. I have read many reviews and the people who re-read these books get ALOT more out of them the second time.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to start the next one. Just like Gardens of the Moon this book is pretty much a self-contained story, but it still helps to read the previous book. Even though it does have a pseudo ending, I believe you will be looking forward to reading the next novel. I think because this series is so complex I should just read them all back to back if I can. Better that way because I won’t forget what was going on. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is such an amazing series so far and is written by an author who has some major talent. I highly recommend reading the series even if you don’t like complex plots. There are tons of summaries available to help you understand. Anyone who loves fantasy books such as The Black Company and Game of Thrones will love these books! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |

AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348799, Mass Market Paperback)

In the vast dominion of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha'ik and her followers prepare for the long-prophesied uprising known as the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in size and savagery, this maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust will embroil the Malazan Empire in one of the bloodiest conflicts it has ever known, shaping destinies and giving birth to legends . . .
Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by dark, uncontrollable magic, this thrilling novel of war, intrigue and betrayal confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality--the author who has written the first great fantasy epic of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:01 -0400)

Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,093,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible