Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Bantam Books (2000), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 684 pages
Rating:*****

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

English (47)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (49)
Even though I struggled reading Gardens of the Moon, I am glad I read this book. I thought Deadhouse Gates was a fantastic read! It was very complex and long, yet still interesting and engaging. I can’t decide which book of the series is my favorite so far; they’re just so good. I just have to keep reading to find out if one really jumps out at me even more!

As in the previous book, the plot is very complex and there are many different events occurring throughout the novel. I thought the pace was absolutely perfect; however there were some parts I wasn’t as engaged in as I was in others, and that is just because I thought it was uninteresting at that time. I also liked following certain groups of characters more because their part of the story was more exciting. I also didn’t have as hard of a time understanding what was going on throughout the book. I think I am starting to become more familiar with Erikson’s world and his writing style.

The detail within this book is indescribable! I can’t believe how well Erikson can write and the emotions he can portray. Some of the scenes in the book were almost too horrible to read because you can just picture what the characters are seeing and feeling; really empathize with them. Just….wow! I felt the same way with his previous novel.

Also, with a novel of this size I was greatly impressed that there was no repetition from the previous novel. I hope this continues with the others. There are many other fantasy books that would be a lot shorter if everything that was restated was taken out. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is a great example of an irritating writing style.

Erikson made character swaps in this book, so we follow a few new characters and some old ones. The others are left for the next book I think. There are tons of characters in the book, but I think it’s important to pay special attention to some of them and there were some I enjoyed more than others.

There are several different threads we are following and the one I found most interesting was with Felisin (Paran’s sister from Gardens of the Moon), Heboric (ex priest and exiled historian) and Baudin who is their companion. I loved following their story because it was exciting and the characters are all very interesting.

The next group of characters are familiar to us. Fiddler, Crokus, Apsalar, and Kalam. There character building was awesome as well and there story. I loved learning more about them and having them become characters who I care about. Kalam separates from the group to go on his own mission and he finds Apt, whom I love! I had some major anxiety at the end of the book with Kalam and his mission. So exciting!

There are also Icarium (Jaghut), Mappo (his Trell companion), and Iskaral Pust who is a High Priest of Shadow. I found their story to be the least interesting of all of the threads. I’m not really sure why exactly. It’s hard to say. I just enjoyed the other groups so much more and not a lot seemed to happen with this group. However, they are important to the story and I loved the relationship between Icarium and Mappo!

There is also Duiker who is a historian. His story wasn’t very interesting at first, but by the end of the book I really liked him as a character and there are some things that happen with him that just left me horrified. I suppose his story wasn’t too interesting for me because it involved a lot of military tactics and the like because he travels with Coltaine’s army. There is just a point when I can’t read about battle strategies, etc. anymore. However, these battles are well described and towards the end left me speechless.

Some other important characters include Coltaine, who you get to know quite well through Duiker, and Korbolo Dom and Kamist Reloe who are opposing Coltaine. You don’t get to read from the point of view of Korbolo or Kamist so you don’t get to know them too well, but they are important characters.

I think that if I re-read the book I would enjoy the characters even more knowing what I know now and pick up on some things I might have missed. I have read many reviews and the people who re-read these books get ALOT more out of them the second time.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to start the next one. Just like Gardens of the Moon this book is pretty much a self-contained story, but it still helps to read the previous book. Even though it does have a pseudo ending, I believe you will be looking forward to reading the next novel. I think because this series is so complex I should just read them all back to back if I can. Better that way because I won’t forget what was going on. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is such an amazing series so far and is written by an author who has some major talent. I highly recommend reading the series even if you don’t like complex plots. There are tons of summaries available to help you understand. Anyone who loves fantasy books such as The Black Company and Game of Thrones will love these books! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |

AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
Deadhouse Gates, by Steven Erikson, is the second book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen. The story follows the events of an uprising on the Seven Cities, telling it through the eyes of different characters with different objectives. Kalam, who appeared in the first book, is on a task to kill Empress Laseen, in the end confronting her, getting to know what her reasons were for what she did. After a while, Kalam finds out that she wasn't really there; whereas he decides not to continue the hunt and instead settle dwon with Minala. Fiddler, also from the first book and also on a mission to kill the Empress, travels with Apsalar and Crokus, both from the first book, to bring back Apsalar to her father. They use the Deadhouse Gates to meet up with Kalam, where they all make some deal with Shadowthrone (who is actually the Emperor Kellanved); Fiddler joins the Malazan force supposed to put down the rebellion; Crokus, Apsalar and Apsalar's father settle down on the Kanese coast; and Kalam and Minala take care of orphaned children. Duiker, an Imperial historian, is with Coltaine's army, which is trying to escort thousands of Malazan civilians to Aren, while being attacked by the rebels. Duiker and the refugees make it, but Coltaine and his army are trapped outside the walls and die. Duiker and most of the Aren army are crucified after their Fist foolishly tries to destroy the besieging force but is instead trapped himself and has his army surrender. Mappo, a Trell, and Icarium, a Jaghut, are traveling through the desert. Icarium has lost his memory, but Mappo knows that Icarium possesses a rage that can be stopped by nothing, so Mappo tries to protect him. They meet Fiddler, Crokus, and Apsalar along their journey, with Icarium getting to know who he really is but losing his memory again. Finally, Heboric and Felisin, an ex-priest of Fener and a nobleborn, escape from a prisoner camp and try to survive the desert. Felisin eventually becomes Sha' ik, the leader of the Rebellion(a.k.a. the Whirlwind).
This book was most definetely a change from the first one. The first book slowly built up the story and characters in the first half. This one starts with action straight off the bat. This book is a great example of how intertwining storylines can really help a story. While some stories I liked more than others, I cannnot say I was ever bored. My favorite storyline was Duiker's, it's just too bad he had to die. Great book, most definetely deserves 5 stars. ( )
  JanW.B1 | Apr 1, 2014 |
I'm starting to realize that these books just hint at the fullness of world in which these books are situated. Odd, as I was a little annoyed at the breadth of this book. It's never good when you open a book and the cast of characters spans more than three pages. But Erikson always manages to just tell enough, to keep the world mysterious but the plot tangible.

There is some corniness in the writing, mostly the italic thoughts of characters or some dialogue, but this is a serious book of fantasy, a series I know intend to finish. And the writing gets better as the story moves. You have to trust an author before devouring all 11 books of a series. ( )
  TJWilson | Mar 14, 2014 |
Boring :(
  pashaie | Jan 3, 2014 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348799, Mass Market Paperback)

In the vast dominion of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha'ik and her followers prepare for the long-prophesied uprising known as the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in size and savagery, this maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust will embroil the Malazan Empire in one of the bloodiest conflicts it has ever known, shaping destinies and giving birth to legends . . .
Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by dark, uncontrollable magic, this thrilling novel of war, intrigue and betrayal confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality--the author who has written the first great fantasy epic of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:40 -0400)

Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible