Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the…

Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Book 2) (edition 2005)

by Steven Erikson

Member:washor
Title:Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Book 2)
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Tor Books (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:hardcover, 1st printing

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

English (52)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (54)
The second volume in this epic goes on much in the manner of the first.
It's not bad, but again, it just didn't grip me emotionally. Although it's certainly not succinct, at times I felt like the action was simply being outlined for me, rather than the text allowing me to live through the action with the characters. I think it doesn't help that frequently, due to magical elements of the plot (possession, shapeshifting, etc), the identity of characters is frequently changing and/or uncertain. I found myself frequently picking up a magazine instead, or getting impatient to move on to another book, rather than being absorbed in this story. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
My final thoughts on this book come down to how much the good outweighs the things I wasn't thrilled about. The answer is a lot. After thinking about it, I think I loved this book. There are so many reasons for that - Coltaine and his Wickans, the sappers in Coltaine's army, his warlocks, the crazy Wickan dogs, Fiddler, Mappo and Icarium, Apt, Kalam and so on.

Coltaine is larger than life. 'Coltaine never made speeches to his troops, and while he was often seen by his soldiers, he did not make a point of it as many commanders did. Yet those soldiers belonged to him now, as if the Fist could fill every silent space with a physical assurance as solid as a gripping of forearms.' We follow more than one group of characters and more than one storyline. Some of them even travel part of the way with some other group, helping, fighting, arguing, suffering. True, sometimes I wanted the scene to be over already (mostly involving Felisin) or I was enraged (refugee nobles), but the rest, oh the rest was so great.

Felisin started as a heartbreaking child to become an almost too stupid to live sixteen year old to end up as something completely new. I felt for her in the beginning, I did. I felt for her in the end of the book too. The parts in between are what annoyed me. To be fair, they probably won't annoy people who mostly read young adult books (they are used to certain things). Her character only got her journey without the final performance. I suppose we'll see that particular show in the following books. The storyline of Felisin and her sister Adjunct Tavore, who sent her to prison in the first place, is still not finished.

We follow the march of Coltaine's army with thousands of refugees, the Chain of Dogs, through the eyes of the bravest and the most pessimistic historian the Malazan Empire ever had. Duiker's first thought about anything is that it won't work. There are so many powerful scenes in this book. 'Each of the three forces outnumbered Coltaine's by a large margin. A roar began building from the army of the Apocalypse, along with a rhythmic clash of weapons on shields.
The marines marched towards the crossing in silence. Voices and clangour rolled over them like a wave. The Seventh did not falter.' They are outnumbered, they are supposed to be weak. The last sentence of that quote made my hair stand on end.
I wish some of the refugee nobles suffered more, but I might be too bloodthirsty.

Overall, the abundance of themes, meanings, symbolism and hints of the things to come can be a bit overwhelming, but it is definitely worth reading.

I'm having real difficulties to stop adding stuff here. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
(re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com/)

I don’t think I’ve encountered a single Malazan fan who doesn’t think that the second book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, Deadhouse Gates, is better than the first. So I’m hardly being original when I say this, but it still has to be said. Deadhouse Gates is a much better book than Gardens of the Moon.

And it’s not like Gardens of the Moon was a bad book, because it really, really wasn’t. Honestly I’m having trouble even identifying what it is about Deadhouse Gates that makes it seem so improved. This is going to sound ridiculously corny, but the only way I can describe it is to say that Deadhouse Gates has heart. I read Gardens of the Moon with half of my mind enjoying the story, and the other half analyzing it and trying to figure out what everything meant. As I said in my review of the book, to me Gardens of the Moon felt like a challenge. An enjoyable one, yes, but I was too busy trying to keep up to really immerse myself in the story.

This was not even slightly the case with Deadhouse Gates. The book certainly no less challenging than Gardens of the Moon (sure, we know who a bunch of people and events are now, but Erikson goes ahead and dumps a crap tonne more on you, lest you start getting cocky). All I know if while I read Gardens with an analytical mind, I read Deadhouse Gates totally and completely involved in the story. I didn’t take nearly as close a note of all the comments and references, but weirdly I feel as though I followed this one better.

There’s a scene, no spoilers here I promise, following a large battle where Erikson had me almost in tears. He had me felling truly wretched. And then only pages later there’s a scene where Coltraine is talking to the Malazan sappers (I'm sure anyone who has read the book will know what I'm talking about) and there I was with the huge, goofy grin on my face. I’m rarely very expressive when I read, but I think it would have been comical to watch my face while I read this book. Constant frowns and gasps and laughter.

The characters, both those we’d already met and newly introduced ones, went from being interesting people to being people I desperately cared about. And I think I just hit on why I found this book to be so much better. The characters. (Of course. Isn’t it always the characters?) When, for example, what happened to Crokus’s uncle in Gardens of the Moon happened, I thought it was some pretty cool writing but I wasn’t really sad or anything. But when what happened to, well, I could name pretty much any character from Deadhouse Gates here, happened, I was a wreck. I was right there with them, cheering or sobbing. Mostly sobbing. (Damn you Erikson!)

When I finished it I felt like I had run a marathon. I felt like I’d crossed the desert in Coltaine’s Chain of Dogs. In part because I normally average two books a week, and this thing took me almost a solid month to get through. But also because Erikson does not spare the reader at all. What his characters go through, you go through. And believe me, Erikson is not nice to his characters.

While I think I need to break from the Malazan world to recover (and I mean that in the best possible way) I look forward to continuing on in this series. I especially can’t wait to see Erikson’s improved skills applied to some of my favourite characters from Gardens of the Moon, like Anomander Rake or Whiskyjack. Or Quick Ben. Or Palan. Or, oh, Kruppe! And we can’t forget Brood… And I wonder if we’re going to meet that Prince who’s heading the Crimson Guard? And what about Tattersail? And, and, and…. ( )
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |
In short, better and more coherent than the first book. Not because I knew all the characters and places already, because that is definitely never the case with the Malazan series. No, each book seems to introduce a gazillion new characters and cities and affiliations whose importance and continuance are unclear. Good luck with that!

NOT TO SPOIL ANYTHING... but this book has all the feels. By the end, I was a dreadful mess of tears at the ultimate tragedy of it all. The realization that anybody can and does die is...really driven home. Yup. Thankfully, some quirky characters dance their way in and out, and the bromance of millenia is interjects occasionally. They provide welcome relief from the unrelenting desert of death. Until that gets messy, too.

Wow, this was a really depressing story. Somehow, it's triumphant too. Because sudden death and hopelessness are interwoven with bonds of timeless love, surprising compassion, hard-won respect, and damaged-but-usable honor. The interactions and relationships between the characters are more meaningful than the feats of great magic, rusty swords, and epic fates. That what makes this book great, and puts it at the top of my favorites. ( )
  irrhapsodi | Jan 3, 2016 |
early in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, but epic, especially the Wickan Fist Coltaine's Chain of Dogs march. two historians anchor this one: the military historian Duiker with Coltaine and the exiled macro historian Heboric. best fantasy series of this era, painted on a very large canvas over hundred of thousands of years of time, Erikson is a master of switching his lens to capture the long view and the short. and he writes great dialogue: he must have a thousand continuing characters, at least, but you can always recognize them from any line. part of a bingewatch for me: this summer i've started into reading the ten-book series again, just because it's magnificent, the detail and imagination of this rich and oh so real world. ( )
  macha | Jul 13, 2015 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drummond, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat u ziet op de besmeurde lijn
Waar u de horizon weet,
Dat niet kan worden uitgewist
Door uw geheven hand?

De Bruggenbranders
-Toc de Jongere
This novel is dedicated to two gentlemen:
David Thomas, Jr.,
who welcomed me to England
with an introduction to a certain agent, and

Patrick Walsh,
the agent he introduced me to.
There has been a lot of faith shown over the years,
and I thank you both.
He came shambling into Judgment's Round from the Avenue of Souls, a misshapen mass of flies.
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Das Reich der Sieben Städte' (2000), ISBN 3-442-24941-4 and 'Im Bann der Wüste' (2000) ISBN 3-442-24940-6.
Please do not combine these works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348799, Mass Market Paperback)

In the vast dominion of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha'ik and her followers prepare for the long-prophesied uprising known as the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in size and savagery, this maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust will embroil the Malazan Empire in one of the bloodiest conflicts it has ever known, shaping destinies and giving birth to legends . . .
Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by dark, uncontrollable magic, this thrilling novel of war, intrigue and betrayal confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality--the author who has written the first great fantasy epic of the new millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:01 -0400)

Preparing for a long-prophesied uprising in the Holy Desert Raraku, seer Sha'ik and her followers anticipate the Malazan Empire's most violent conflict, which they believe will shape destinies and give rise to legendary figures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,264,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible