Dragon (Vlad) by Steven Brust

In publication order - that's what I'm reading these books in - this comes after Orca. But the main events take place before Yendi but are narrated by Vlad just after Yendi, making it either the second or the third book, chronologically speaking.

Vlad spends Dragon in the army, which I did not find as interesting or as enjoyable as some of his other adventures. But I didn't mind - it'd been a while since some of Vlad's friends had appeared and after certain revelations in Orca, I especially wanted to see them (If Dragon hadn't featured certain characters, I would have chosen to reread one of the earlier books next instead). I also enjoyed the benefits of knowing more about certain things than Vlad presently does and being able to pick up on the significance of other things. For these reasons, Dragon felt like a logical follow-on from Orca - and it is clearly an important piece of backstory to cover before we get to Issola.

"I still don't like it," said Aliera, evidently continuing a discussion I'd missed the beginning of. "If we're going to do that, why not go all the way? Hire a thief and just be done with it."
"For one thing," said Sethra, "we don't know any thieves."
"Vlad can put us in touch with one."
  Herenya | Jan 18, 2017 |
This book breaks away from the regular timeline of the cycle, and sends Vlad back in the past to a key battle. Given the long lifetimes of the Dragaerans involved, and the various family ties, a lot of what goes on turns out to be related.
Typical Vlad stuff, snappy, sarcastic and fast moving. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 2, 2009 |
Back on Track: Depending on how you look at it, this is either the second, or the third, or the eighth book on Brust's Vlad Taltos Adventures. (I like to go by publishing order, which means this is the Eighth book.)
The first few books in the series were fascinating little facets of a complex world, told through Vlad's eyes and with his smarmy wit and sharp humor apparent in every tale. The tales told in 'Phoenix', 'Athyra', and 'Orca', however, took on a dark, brooding, introspective bent, and much of the protagonist's charm is missing as he wrestles with personal demons.
Dragon, however, brings back the fun-loving style that fans of earlier books will like, as the hero, Vlad Taltos, recounts a tale of what it's like to be a soldier, which, in his words, is 'the last place a self respecting assasin should be.' The story details many of the early aspects of Vlad's life, filling in details of how he developed many of the relationships with the recurring characters that readers have come to know.
I really liked this one, and could fill up pages discussing it, but you will enjoy it more if I shut up and let you read it for yourself. Definitely worth it.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
Wow, I had no idea how much Aliera owes Vlad. He's done so much for her, it's really pretty crazy. The descriptions of the war made me feel like Vlad was there for weeks or maybe even months. Finding out it was only a couple of days was sort of surreal. It was nice to finally know how Aliera ended up with Pathfinder. But, I have to admit the whole thing was a little disappointing. There were no twists or mysteries revealed, it was so straight forward. ( )
  hannah.aviva | Feb 26, 2009 |
In which Vlad finds himself going to war.

Out of the many books that I have read that include some sort of war in a fantasy book environment, with the main characters as foot soldiers, this book I think describes it best.

It can be a bit confusing since it tends to jump around a bit in time, from future, present, and past, or maybe its not confusing and I just can't read books like this when needing more sleep. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 2, 2008 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812589165, Mass Market Paperback)

Vlad Taltos is not your average sword-and-sorcery hero. He runs a territory for the criminal House Jhereg. He's a witch with a flying reptilian familiar as smart and sarcastic as any sidekick in literature. He's also a master assassin in Adrilankha, the capital of the Dragaeran Empire. (Dragaerans are tall, very long-lived elves; Vlad is an Easterner, or human.)

Steven Brust is not your average fantasy writer. Like his mentor, Roger Zelazny, he enjoys playing with time. Although Dragon is the eighth book about Vlad to be published, most of it takes place between Taltos, the first book chronologically, and Yendi; interludes and an epilogue occur after Yendi, but before Jhereg. Dragon tells the story of the oft-mentioned Battle of Barritt's Tomb, and how Vlad enlisted in a Dragon army (Dragons are the warrior Dragaerans) and learned that war is nothing like assassination.

Vlad is quick to let readers know the score. "I'll let you stay confused a little longer, and if you don't trust me to clear everything up, then you can go hang. I've been paid." Trust him. Dragon stands alone, but don't miss the others (after Jhereg come Teckla, Phoenix, Athyra, and Orca). It's a fast-moving, satisfying series. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

Swashbuckling assassin Vlad Taltos and his smart-mouthed reptile familiar Loiosh find themselves in over their heads when they become caught in the middle of a war between two rival Dragonlords

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,465,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible