Moonlight and Vines: A Newford Collection by…

Moonlight and Vines: A Newford Collection (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Charles de Lint

Member:Yfandes
Title:Moonlight and Vines: A Newford Collection
Authors:Charles de Lint
Info:Tor Books (1999), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover

Moonlight & Vines (Newford) by Charles de Lint (1999)

I don't know if you do this or not, but sometimes seeing all the books I have yet to read and long to read again (who's lucky enough to have the time for that?) the only thing that comforts me is to get up and run my fingers along the bookcase. As passionate book lovers, we can't possibly read everything we want to, but sometimes knowing it just exists is enough.

Tonight I pulled my Charles de Lint books down off the shelf and experienced the giddiness I first felt upon discovering his wonderful work years ago.

All of his writing is heartfelt, magical and Mr. de Lint is so in tune with the human spirit he seems both masculine and feminine. His Newford stories, in particular, touch the soul. After his novel Memory and Dream (I can't possibly sing its praises enough) Moonlight & Vines is my next favorite of his.

This is the kind of fiction that makes you wish it were real and the characters inside your very best friends. ( )
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
A remarkable collection of stories by this master and leader in the urban fantasy genre. This book is my first set of de Lint's short stories and I was suitably impressed. Several of them delve into the lives of the gay and lesbian culture in Newford, several of the main characters repeat (such as Jilly), and the final short story seems a bit, um, autobiographical? Maybe? Maybe that's one of his gifts to us, his fans, to reveal a little bit about what makes Charles de Lint who he is. And if so, thank you.

There is such a range of characters here: artists, journalists, musicians, and guns for hire. And such an exploration of the magic that is in our world if we only look at it: the amoral Fae, the gift of death, the afterlife, and small people who only want to receive the gift that will release them from their burden. Each story in its own way, however brief, brings every day closer to magic. Let us take that as a sign. ( )
  threadnsong | Mar 25, 2018 |
For some reason, I didn't much care for this collection of short stories which was disappointing as I have loved some of the other Newford collections (such as Dreams Underfoot, the first one). I guess that I found them all a bit too similar to each other in the gritty & bleak lives of the main characters even though the magic bits were varied. Oh well, I am not giving up on the series but I hope that the next one I read I like better... ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 23, 2018 |
De Lint's short story collections always feel like good visits with old friends and new. Urban fantasy for thinking readers who want a bit more depth than the latest ab-worthy cover model vs. [insert monster here]. ( )
1 vote SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Stopped on page 212 of 461. Stories were just too much alike and too unreal, soap-opera-y. Some had kernels of truth to ponder, but the format was too slow, mechanical, or 80's-ish for me to keep going. ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |

Charles de Lintprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765309173, Paperback)

Imagine a city--cold, hard, concrete jungle on the surface, but, down that dark alley or disused cemetery, magic has begun to unravel the gray fabric of realism. Charles de Lint succumbs to his fascination with the outsider in all of us, and writes of lonesome goth kids, newbie lesbians, strippers, Gypsies, angels of death and mercy, and even vampires and ghosts in a style that is remarkably refreshing after so much sword-and-bodice formula fantasy. Moonlight and Vines is a medley of fairy tales for the alternative crowd, with most of his city grrrls and boys sporting combat boots and wounded souls. De Lint crafts his stories with soft edges but indelible images:
I can feel a foreign vibe in my apartment, a quivering in the air from Teresa having been there.... My furniture, the posters and prints on my walls, my knickknacks, all seemed subtly changed, a little stiff from the awareness of her looking at them. It takes a while for the room to settle down into its familiar habits. The fridge muttering to itself in the kitchen. The pictures in their frames letting out their stomachs and hanging slightly askew once more.
Hardcore horror/fantasy enthusiasts might find the author's habit of imbuing each protagonist with a sense of wonder and self-discovery slightly saccharine and hackneyed after the umpteenth happy ending, but longtime de Lint fans will be delighted. --Jhana Bach

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:41 -0400)

Stories set in an Ontario town where, as in old Greek mythology, magic is common and immortals and humans interact. Many of the 23 tales are inspired by North American and European legends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,259,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible