Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

Shawshank Redemption (1982)

by Stephen King

Series: Different Seasons (1)

I love SK. In this novella he gave perfect descriptions of everything. In particular the parts with Hadley are very very good. Even Hadley's dialogue is so freaking amazing. ( )
  Marc.Ciccarella.Jr. | Mar 29, 2015 |
It all starts with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption,  wherein the Mangler is mentioned in passing.

Then you move on to Apt Pupil, wherein a banker who went up the river for killing his wife is mentioned by Dussander.

When you round the corner into The Body, you're gifted with four boys wondering if they're going to end up in Shawshank because they trespassed at the local junkyard.

Until finally coming across The Breathing Method, a story that does not mention Shawshank, but the "club" herein does pop back up in a different story entitled "The Man Who Wouldn't Shake Hands" circa Skeleton Crew.

These are four of King's best novellas. Three of them have been turned into movies, and I would think that the final one will never be filmed. It's just not a cinematic story. I do love that King dedicated The Breathing Method to Peter Straub and Straub's wife, because the story reads and feels a great deal like Straub's masterpiece Ghost Story.

The afterword explains a great deal about how King became a "horror writer" and the time frames in which all these novellas were written. As an author myself, I liked the afterword quite a bit.

In summation: This is my favorite collection of King novellas, and you should read it. Highest recommendation. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
excellent story; excellent performance... ( )
  DavidO1103 | Dec 15, 2013 |
I am not denying that Stephen King is one of the greatest writers of modern time, because based on his success, I can't think of him in any other light. My three stars (according to Goodreads, three stars means, "I liked it") probably comes from the fact that I am more of a classics reader, and therefore, may be a bit inaccurate to other bookworms. I apologize, however, I could not give it four stars.
The story was well done. I enjoyed that. My only problem was that the ending dragged on a bit, though it was by no means bad.
What has probably ruined it for me was that I saw the movie just two days after finishing the novella, and I have to say that this is the first time that I actually liked the movie better than the book. There was just so much that was included in the ending that would have given the book a more satisfying conclusion.
Overall, it did have a good story, solid characters, and adequate writing. I highly suggest this book for anyone wanting to beat away a few hours of their summer.
  rain.e.drew | Dec 6, 2013 |
Revisited this in audiobook form after having originally read it back when it was fresh on the bookshelf as one of the novellas in Different Seasons. This is one of those very rare (almost non-existent with Stephen King) occasions where the movie was better than the book. The best thing about this experience was again hearing Frank Mueller's wonderful narration. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There's a guy like me in every state and federal prison in America, I guess - I'm the guy who can get it for you.
This is the single novella "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption : hope springs eternal". It should not be combined with the book DIFFERENT SEASONS, which contains three other stories for the other seasons of the year in addition to this story, nor should it be combined with film adaptations or their shooting scripts.
The author is Stephen King.

In 1947, Andy Dufresne, an established banker, is wrongly imprisoned at Shawshank prison in Maine, for the murder of his wife and her secret lover. He has more brains than anyone else in the sinister slammer and has a diabolically cunning plan of revenge that no one can guess until it's far too late.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible