Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

Shawshank Redemption (1982)

by Stephen King

Series: Different Seasons (1)

1,200216,680 (4.26)70

Such a wonderful book. I enjoyed this book. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
Such a wonderful book. I enjoyed this book. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
While I did read this AFTER having seen Shawshank Redemption, I still loved the book. I think this is Stephen King at some of his best, even if it's not his typical horror fare. I don't think I'll ever get tired of "Red" or Andy, and it was so easy to become absorbed in their world. There's also that thrill and satisfaction of the people you're rooting for getting something good in the end. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |
I love SK. In this novella he gave perfect descriptions of everything. In particular the parts with Hadley are very very good. Even Hadley's dialogue is so freaking amazing. ( )
  Marc.Ciccarella.Jr. | Mar 29, 2015 |
It all starts with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption,  wherein the Mangler is mentioned in passing.

Then you move on to Apt Pupil, wherein a banker who went up the river for killing his wife is mentioned by Dussander.

When you round the corner into The Body, you're gifted with four boys wondering if they're going to end up in Shawshank because they trespassed at the local junkyard.

Until finally coming across The Breathing Method, a story that does not mention Shawshank, but the "club" herein does pop back up in a different story entitled "The Man Who Wouldn't Shake Hands" circa Skeleton Crew.

These are four of King's best novellas. Three of them have been turned into movies, and I would think that the final one will never be filmed. It's just not a cinematic story. I do love that King dedicated The Breathing Method to Peter Straub and Straub's wife, because the story reads and feels a great deal like Straub's masterpiece Ghost Story.

The afterword explains a great deal about how King became a "horror writer" and the time frames in which all these novellas were written. As an author myself, I liked the afterword quite a bit.

In summation: This is my favorite collection of King novellas, and you should read it. Highest recommendation. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There's a guy like me in every state and federal prison in America, I guess - I'm the guy who can get it for you.
This is the single novella "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption : hope springs eternal". It should not be combined with the book DIFFERENT SEASONS, which contains three other stories for the other seasons of the year in addition to this story, nor should it be combined with film adaptations or their shooting scripts.
The author is Stephen King.

In 1947, Andy Dufresne, an established banker, is wrongly imprisoned at Shawshank prison in Maine, for the murder of his wife and her secret lover. He has more brains than anyone else in the sinister slammer and has a diabolically cunning plan of revenge that no one can guess until it's far too late.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible