The Ivory and the Horn: A Newford Collection…

The Ivory and the Horn: A Newford Collection (edition 1995)

by Charles de Lint

Member:Yfandes
Title:The Ivory and the Horn: A Newford Collection
Authors:Charles de Lint
Info:Tor Books (1995), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover

The Ivory and the Horn (Newford) by Charles de Lint

A collection of short stories, all set in DeLint's imaginary city of Newford. DeLint is a good writer. I can't deny that a couple of these stories even made me cry. But, overall, their quality is really diminished by being too social-agenda-oriented. Too many of them seem to be written For Disadvantaged Youth; To Have a Positive Influence. It's been a recurring criticism I've had of DeLint's writing - he's good enough to just let his characters Be People, rather than Girl-With-An-Eating-Disorder, Abused-Homeless-Boy, or etc. But he doesn't. I generally agree with DeLint's messages of tolerance, diversity, multi-culturalism, ecology, and especially the importance of artistic ..and the one story about the girl who gets her life together, goes back to school, gets a job - and finds herself with not enough time for things that really matter to her, definitely spoke to me) - but too often pop psychology takes over and the writing begins to feel preachy. And it's no fun to be preached at, even when you agree with the message of the sermon.

Contents:
"Waifs and Strays"
"Mr. Truepenny's Book Emporium and Gallery"
"The Forest Is Crying"
"The Wishing Well"
"Dead Man's Shoes"
"Bird Bones and Wood Ash"
"A Tempest in Her Eyes"
"Saxophone Joe and the Woman in Black"
"The Bone Woman"
"Pal o' Mine"
"Where Desert Spirits Crowd the Night"
"Dream Harder, Dream True"
"The Pochade Box"
"The Forever Trees" ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This collection of short stories came together to mean more to me than the individual stories did, adding to my picture of Newford. I was pleased to greet some old friends, Jilly in particular ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I was first introduced to deLint's world of urban fantasy with his book, Dingo, and it was love at first word. He has the ability to look beyond the day to day struggles and show the magic of the world around us, a dream world where all is possible and the inhabitants take on a life of their own, blending mythology, the spirit world, fantasy and reality together and inviting his readers to join him.

I must confess though that I truly lack an appreciation of short stories. I've always preferred a full length novel that has the time to develop the characters as well as building a well executed plot line, things not available in short stories. That being said, I also have so great an appreciation for the tales told by Charles deLint that I thought I'd give it a shot. In true deLint style he presented 15 short stories that introduced us to fairies, wood spirits, desert spirits and other magical beings we've seen in folklore from around the world. Each story was well crafted, some of which I loved, others less so, but when taken as a whole seemed to lack a cohesive flow leaving the tales to blend together in what I felt was a bit muddled fashion.

Not being a veteran short story reader I fear that I approached and read the book in the wrong way. I read it as though it was a regular length novel without leaving enough time between stories, time to digest what I had read and to savor each tale on its own merits. I wish I had used a different method and read one short story per night so that I could have appreciated the book more, the way it deserved. I started out loving it but for the reasons given lost much of my enthusiasm. Still, deLint remains one of my favourite authors and I'm eagerly anticipating reading some of his other works that rest on my nightstand.

Rating: 3.5
Originally published on www.chapterofdreams.com ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
This is a collection of 15 stories first published between 1992 and 1995 and collected here in 1995. They are mostly short stories though a few edge close to novella length. I'm not sure how I'd class these stories; they are sort of seedy urban fantasy. I read one or two at a time and for me that was the best way to appreciate them. There are some really good stories in here, but most I'd call so-so; good but not great.

I've enjoyed de Lint's work in short story form in the past although not everything and I think I grew a little tired of him. I am just not a big fan of faerie stuff by anyone, but de Lint approaches it unconventionally. I'm planning to read some more of him in the future. The urban fantasy genre isn't one of my favorites, and De Lint is practically credited with inventing it. This collection is certainly a good example of it being done well. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 26, 2013 |
I was quickly drawn into this book when I found that the first two stories followed on from stories in "Dreams Underfoot", which I read a while ago. There's always something magical just around the corner in Newford, and characters you've met before keep reappearing. I think that if you read too many of Charles de Lint's stories too close together you could find them slightly cloying, and the amount of repetition can be a little annoying, but if you spread them out they are wonderful reads for anyone who wishes that they had a little more magic in their life. ( )
1 vote isabelx | Apr 22, 2011 |

Charles de Lintprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jane Yolen, who showed me how to touch magic and pass it on
Sometimes I feel as though there’s this hidden country inside me, a landscape that’s going to remain forever unexplored because I can’t make a normal connection with another human being, with someone who might map it out for me. It’s my land, it belongs to me, but I’m denied access to it. The only way I could ever see it is through the eyes of someone outside this body of mine, through the eyes of someone who loves me.
I think we all have these secret landscapes inside us, but I don’t think that anybody else ever thinks about them. All I know is that no one visits mine. And when I’m with other people, I don’t know how to visit theirs.
Used to be people said jazz was the soul of the city, the rhythm that made it tick. A music made up of slick streets and neon lights, smoky clubs and lips that taste like whiskey.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812534085, Mass Market Paperback)

In the city of Newford, when the stars and the vibes are right, you can touch magic. Mermaids sing in the murky harbor, desert spirits crowd the night, and dreams are more real than waking.

Charles de Lint began his chronicles of the extraordinary city of Newford in Memory & Dream and the short-story collection Dreams Underfoot. In The Ivory and the Horn, this uncommonly gifted craftsman weaves a new tapestry of stark realism and fond hope, mean streets and boulevards of dreams, where you will rediscover the power of love and longing, of wishes and desires, and of the magic that hovers at the edge of everyday life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:45 -0400)

Stories on the fictional city of Newford where hard-edged street life is touched by ancient magic. In Bird Bones and Wood Ash, a woman manages to save children from being eaten by their monster parents, while in Dream Harder, Dream True, the protagonist saves a fairy with a broken wing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,611,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible