The Third Day, The Frost by John Marsden

The Third Day, The Frost (1996)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (3)

Recently added by442joppe, private library, Charlie_Bear, aowe, HollandseClub, Catigerine, JReed2

I am still greatly enjoying the Tomorrow Series by author John Marsden. A Killing Frost is the third book in the series about a group of teenagers who were on a camping trip when their country was invaded. They take refugee in the wilderness but eventually they launch a few attacks. A couple of their group gave themselves up after one was badly wounded and another has died but the core group is still together and now they have decided to attempt their most ambitious attack yet.

Narrated by Ellie, a 17 year old Australian farm girl, these books are full of action and adventure. They are also a great insight into the youthful mind and in this aspect I think the author excels. These are kids, they are homesick, scared, and at times bored. They branch into couples, but living the way they do, often find that friendship is more important than romance. Sometimes they argue and sometimes they make mistakes, all of which make them seem real.

The author pulls no punches, and A Killing Frost was a harrowing and exciting story of their sabotage mission and it’s after-effects. This book had real closure and left me wondering if this was originally planned as a trilogy. Luckily, there are more books in this series left for me to join Ellie and her friends in their effort to overthrow the invaders and take back their country. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This series has got me thinking about so many things we take for granted at this time in Australia. I have never read a book about war that I felt I could relate to. It always felt like an account of something far, far away, or ancient history. This is right in our backyard. I loved how I was all of a sudden thinking about the first Australian settlers through the eyes of the Aboriginals. This series is so relevant but in a way that is very accessible to teens. Possibly even more so now as the superpowers seem to have shifted away from America to Asia, and refugees are a hot political topic. I can't wait to find out what happens next. I hope the movie inspires people to read the rest of the story. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
275 pages.Best of the series so far. Marsden continues to explore what happens to kids turned fighters during a war. Marsden does an excellent job of weaving a good story and developing fully realized characters. I would not recommend this book for a pre teen to read. There are violent acts written about in detail. The book could be used by teachers and parents as a jumping off point to discuss the nature of heroism, and loyality, and when or if acts of violence are justified . The book is not an antiwar diatribe. Marsden asks the reader to explore what happens to you during a war. Marsden asks you to think about the after affects of a violent act. If you love to own books then buy the whole seven book series Other wise get your local library to buy all of them. These books should be in a local school library and most large public libraries.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
This is like, the best series, EVER. ( )
  capriciousreader | Dec 20, 2013 |
I think I regressed to 13 year old me while reading this book. I had completely forgotten almost everything that happened in it, until near the very end - where I recalled what was coming clear as a bell. It was just as devastating this time around.

Having said that though, the twists this novel took put a nice spin on things and breaks away from what could have potentially become a monotonous pattern over seven novels. This is of course the third instalment, and while I do remember what happens at the end of the final one, I can't say I know what's about to happen next!

It's kind of nice, re-reading something but having forgotten most of the story because it has been such a long time between drinks. I don't think I'll leave it 16 years next time though, blimey.

Now I just feel old! Although I am pleased I can still read this series with pleasure. It has aged a bit (with long gone Australian stores mentioned, that felt like a blast from the past!) but it's still an enjoyable read, even if heavily tinged with nostalgia for me. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The third day comes a frost, a killing frost... - King Henry VIII, William Shakespeare
'The third day comes a frost, a killing frost...'
King Henry VIII, William shakespeare
To my sister and long-time friend, Rosalind Alexander - J.M.
Tom my sister and long-time friend,
Rosalind Alexander
Sometimes I think I'd rather be frightened than bored.
You have to believe in something. That’s all.
Originally published in Australia as The Third Day, The Frost. Republished in the US as 'A Killing Frost.'

Life in the war zone enters its sixth month of heart-stopping tension in the latest installment of the internationally bestselling Tomorrow series.

In the third installment of the Tomorrow saga, the anything-to-survive existence of Ellie and her friends has sharpened their senses and emboldened their plans. They aren't merely on the defensive anymore; they're also striking back. Their strategy? Attack the enemy not just on land, but also on water. If they have any hope of sabotaging the formidable container ship at Cobbler's Bay, then stealth is a must, but so, too, is one very big explosion.
And if they fail, they may face a whole new kind of terror -- imprisonment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

Ellie and her friends are going on the offensive now, attacking the enemy on land and water. To sabotage the containersip at Cobbler's Bay, they'll need stealth and a very big explosion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,004,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible