Rena's Promise: Two Sisters in Auschwitz by…

Rena's Promise: Two Sisters in Auschwitz (original 1995; edition 2011)

by Rena Kornreich Gelissen, Heather Dune Macadam

206556,890 (4.51)8
Member:krazy4katz
Title:Rena's Promise: Two Sisters in Auschwitz
Authors:Rena Kornreich Gelissen
Other authors:Heather Dune Macadam
Info:Beacon Press (2011), Edition: Kindle Edition, Kindle Edition, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:memoir, ebook, history, civil rights, nonfiction, war, holocaust

Rena's Promise by Rena Kornreich Gelissen (1995)

A story of 2 Jewish sisters in the camps of the Germans during WWII at turns heartbreaking and inspiring. ( )
  winecat | Jul 2, 2013 |
So painful to read, but somehow necessary and mesmerizing. I had to read it quickly so that my courage didn't fail me. A story of survival for the sake of survival and the well-being of her sister, finally rewarded by liberation and a life with loved ones. A life that never forgets the loved ones lost from childhood and those who managed to show good will and kindness in the face of immeasurable and unimaginable cruelty. Truly incredible. ( )
  krazy4katz | Nov 18, 2012 |
It has been one of the best holocaust books I have ever read. The story was so amazing. How one survives such and ordeal is beyond anything I can imagine. I was truly amazed how well she was able to asses a situation and adapt. This book is a must read! ( )
  Jenni01 | Apr 6, 2012 |
This is the second or third time I have read this compelling and interesting story. Rena, was on the first transport of women into Auschwitz and she survived to tell about the three years spent in the camp. Her sister, Danka joined her is Auschwitz a few days later. Together, they managed to survive the brutal conditions, lack of food, unsanitary conditions, hard labor and selections for death. I am amazed at the determination and will to survive that both Rena and Danka exhibited. They continually fought to live, something many holocaust victims were unable to do. I cannot hep but admire their strength. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Aug 25, 2011 |
I had to read this book for my History of the Holocaust class. The book follows Rena who is sent on the first Slovakian transport to Auschwitz. Rena astonishingly survives the concentration camp and overcomes great adversity. While this is not a light read, it is definately a worthy read. ( )
  booksandwine | Oct 7, 2010 |

Rena Kornreich Gelissenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Macadam, Heather DuneAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Sent to Auschwitz on the first Jewish transport, Rena Kornreich survived the Nazi death camps for over three years. While there she was reunited with her sister Danka. Each day became a struggle to fulfill the promise Rena made to her mother when the family was forced to split apart--a promise to take care of her sister.

One of the few Holocaust memoirs about the lives of women in the camps, Rena's Promise is a compelling story of the fleeting human connections that fostered determination and made survival a possibility. From the bonds between mothers, daughters, and sisters, to the links between prisoners, and even prisoners and guards, Rena's Promise reminds us of the humanity and hope that survives inordinate inhumanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:20 -0400)

Rena's Promise is the extraordinary memoir of a young woman from Poland who survived the Nazi death camps for more than three years. Sent on the first Jewish transport to Auschwitz, Rena Kornreich is soon reunited with her sister Danka in the camp. Each day becomes a struggle to fulfill the promise Rena made to her mother when the family was forced to split apart - a promise to take care of her sister. Rena tells her story of life in the camps with relentless sobriety. But it is not without hope, for what emerges through the horror is a humanity stripped to its essential connections - the bonds between mothers, daughters, and sisters, men and women prisoners, even prisoners and guards. Through these connections, Rena survives each day with the deep conviction that she and her sister must see the next.… (more)

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible