Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis

Scar Tissue (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Anthony Kiedis, Larry Sloman

Member:KarlPokus
Title:Scar Tissue
Authors:Anthony Kiedis
Other authors:Larry Sloman
Info:Hyperion (2005), Edition: First Paperback, Paperback, 465 pages

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis (2004)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (22)
My brother introduced me to a lot of great music when I was about nine years old, like Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Seven Mary Three, and ... the Chili Peppers! They're a band I've always loved, but have never been obsessive about. (Only a select few reach that level of psychosis devotion.) I can't tell you their former band members, their middle names, or their birthdays, but I know a huge chunk of their catalog and history. I wanted to know what went on behind the songwriting, since Kiedis has a very unique style and also, admit it, he's a total dish so of course I wanted to nose into his life.

I got more than I bargained for. I became so entranced with his story that each time he relapsed (oops, spoilers for those who lived under a rock!) I fell right into that hole with him, getting frustrated because he had been doing so well, hating the girls who pushed him over the edge.

It was a really interesting read that I couldn't put down. I read long after the sun set (this was the weekend without power) and past my lunch hour at work. Kiedis led an interesting life, and he's a complex, compelling man. I never felt like he was trying to name-drop or bad mouth anyone. I never felt like he was making up a good story for the money or trying to sound cool for a pat on the back. I honestly still don't care that much about the line-up changes (but oh how I fell for Hillel, even though I already knew his fate) and birthdays (though Kiedis is big on his, so I'll probably always remember 11/1/62), but I did learn a lot about the songs and the man behind the lyrics, which is exactly what I set out to do. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
If you like sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll (particularly the drugs part), you'll like this book. I was hoping for more about the music but I guess Anthony Kiedis can write about whatever aspect of his life that he wants. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
When this book was originally released, I tried to read it. I had been a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Kiedis seemed like a reasonably interesting guy. I didn't get very far. He started talking about living with his dad, starting to do drugs at 11, and having sex with his father's girlfriend when he was 12. With his father's permission. And with the girlfriend's enthusiasm. It was all told with such a self-satisfied air, and I didn't think I could stand a whole book like that, so I put it down. I decided to try again now with the audio version, which is read by Rider Strong of "Boy Meets World" fame.

What I found out is that the insufferableness comes down by small measures as Kiedis gets older. There are still far too many interludes that have no point except to tell the story of some girl he met and had amazing sex with (often in a hallway or stairwell or doorway or something). Women and drugs (not necessarily in that order) have clearly been the driving forces in his life. Music came later, and interestingly enough, touring was the only time he would reliably remain sober. Many cycles of rehab, relapse, trying to kick the habit on his own, relapse, etc., go on once the band has achieved some success.

The good: Once he really becomes an addict, he doesn't romanticize the experience. Using dirty needles, committing desperate acts, and manipulating people were all too common, and he doesn't shy away from telling those stories. It's interesting to hear one member's take on a lot of the big events in the band's history.

The bad: The production quality of the audio book is pretty abysmal; you can hear pages being shuffled and other background noise like that. Also, Rider Strong does the world's worst accents (Irish was particularly bad), and he doesn't consistently know how to pronounce words. The book is over-long in general; like a lot of people, Kiedis thinks more is more when it comes to stories from his life. ( )
1 vote ursula | Apr 12, 2014 |
I loved this book! He goes into great detail about his ups and downs in life and his experiences being in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He begins with his childhood and his wild upbringing with his drug-abusing father in Hollywood, California. The autobiography only gets more wild from there. ( )
  KamariaB | Dec 4, 2013 |
I've read several rock memoirs, but this is far and away my favorite. Kiedis doesn't just tell us what happened, but he speaks from the heart and relives it. There is a humility in his story, from someone who has been at the top of the world but knows it could come crashing down at any minute, and often did.

Kiedis does not tell us his story so that we'll feel sorry for him. It isn't out of arrogance or egotism that he shares his experiences with the Hollywood scene, the music business, and drug addiction. No, this is a way that he can pay it forward, embracing all of his experiences (good and bad) and live as an example. He's not preachy in his dislike of addiction. He's not judgmental of those that haven't beaten it. Rather, he lives by example, embracing life and everything it has to offer. What better inspiration could someone have to get clean and make the most of what they have in life?

I was personally touched by this book. Not due to drug addiction - I've never had to experience that. I was a smoker, so I do understand some of the ways that an addiction can mind-fuck a person, but that's not even close to the levels of Hell that Kiedis and others have had to go through. No, I felt connected because of the way Kiedis is always looking forward. He learned (and learns) from experiences, and doesn't spend a lot of time beating himself up about it. Learn and build on the experiences, sharing what you can with those around you. That's the outlook he takes on life and the issues it presents. ( )
2 vote Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |

Anthony Kiedisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sloman, Larrysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Bill and Bob.
I'm sitting in the couch in the living room of my house in the Hollywood Hills.

"For a musician who has spent the better half of his life either intoxicated or on a drug high, Kiedis, the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, has produced a surprisingly detailed account of his life. Raised in the 1960s and '70s by a drug dealer father who first introduced his preteen son to drugs by mashing them into bananas, the high school delinquent and UCLA dropout seemed destined for a life of rabble-rousing until his high school band-cofounded by close friends Michael "Flea" Balzary and Hillel Slovak-took off and became one of the most popular groups of the 1990s. Though he peppers his book with little known facts (for instance, the author narrowly missed being named Clark Gable Kiedis), the punk-funk rocker dedicates too few pages to his introspective music-writing process and too many to his incessant drug use and revolving door of girlfriends (which included actress Ione Skye, singer Sinéad O'Connor and director Sofia Coppola). But while Kiedis fails to scratch beneath the surface of his fast-lane life, his frankness is moving, especially toward the end of the book, when his mea culpa turns into a full-blown account of recovery and redemption. (Kiedis has been sober for almost four years.)" - product description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,817,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible