The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius…

The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons…

by Caroll Spinney

This book is more of an autobiography rather than "The Wisdoms of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch". I feel that some chapters really had nothing to do with their title. The book was also somewhat repetitive, and I thought the ending was good, but a big cliche.
However, I grew up watching Seasame Street and really enjoyed hearing behind the scene facts about the show, puppets, and the people who worked on it. There were also some very heart-warming moments in the chapters. It's a pretty easy read with short chapters. This is definitely a read for any Seasame Street or Jim Henson fan, but don't expect a lot of actual "wisdom", just fun stories about the show and the puppets! ( )
  luvtink81 | Jun 16, 2006 |
A little book of pure joy. Caroll Spinney's account of being the man behind the bird for over thirty years brought a smile to my face. He clearly takes great child-like pleasure from his work, and that comes across in the way he tells his story in this book. He tells his tales, from visiting the White House to being hit by disgruntled children, with a refreshing honesty and absolute lack of pretension. Well worth reading. ( )
  rho | Dec 31, 1969 |

Muppeteer's memoirs
You actually learn a lot
Being a Big Bird:

Oscar's no meanie;
EVERYONE loves big puppets;
Find your inner bird.

(QuestingforaQuest)

An inspiring message for all ages: Find your inner bird.

If you’re looking for wisdom and joy in your life, go straight to Sesame Street and heed the words of its most beloved and profound resident, Caroll Spinney, who has spent the past thirty-four years in a bird costume (and a trash can) as Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

Three decades inside a giant puppet have taught Spinney a valuable and surprising lesson:

Being a bird can make you a better person.

In The Wisdom of Big Bird, the living legend of Sesame Street describes how we can all find our inner bird (or grouch).

Each chapter illustrates a piece of useful wisdom Spinney has gleaned from a career in feathers. The lessons Big Bird teaches children every day on Sesame Street are the same ones that have brought Spinney success and satisfaction in his own life.

Warm, witty, and affirming, Caroll Spinney’s memoir proves that being a bird can make you a better and happier person.

“Every day on Sesame Street, we strive to give our innocent young audience the basis of a lifelong education. It is no accident that spending the past thirty-four years in the Bird suit teaching these lessons to others has taught me a few things, too.”—from The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:58 -0400)

The puppeteer who brings Sesame Street's Big Bird to life shares words of wisdom from his feathered alter ego--as well as from his counterpart, Oscar the Grouch--explaining how these lessons have transformed his own life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,503,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible