Peter and the Secret of Rundoon by Ridley…

Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (2007)

by Ridley Pearson, Dave Barry (Author)

Series: Starcatchers (3)

Book three in the Peter and the Starcatchers series, a Peter Pan prequel that gives us a very different version of the familiar tale, one involving secret societies and magical meteorites. (It mostly makes sense in context, honest.)

I was very much charmed by the first book in this series, which gives us Peter's origin story, but I found the second disappointingly dull by comparison. I'm thinking that maybe I was just in entirely the wrong mood at the time, though, because this third book was pleasant enough. A bit overlong, perhaps, and I did find myself rolling my eyes at the bad guy's "Let me tell you my evil plan!" speech. But basically it was a decent kids' fantasy/adventure story, with a good (if slightly out-there) plot, a lot of action, and some really nice illustrations. I do remember saying, after reading the first book, that it struck me as one of those stories that can be enjoyed equally well by children or adults. I think I've changed my mind about that a little; while I found it mildly diverting, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more when I was nine.

Rating: Adult me is stingily inclined to give it a 3.5/5 -- meaning it was OK, but didn't entirely do it for me -- but my inner child is insisting it deserves a higher rating than that. And since said inner child is closer to the book's intended audience, I suppose I really ought to listen to her. So I'll call it a 4/5. ( )
  bragan | May 23, 2015 |
I read this series a while ago. It was REALLY good. It provides the background for how Peter Pan and the Lost boys, Captain Hook, Smee and the Pirates got to the island, how Peter got the magic to fly and explains Tinkerbell. It's sort of a prequel to Peter Pan. Except it's so much more. It's an adventure story with excitement and fantasy, brave children and girls who don't just stand back and let boys defend them but who are self-actualizing and equals--despite the time period. I read this series to my 8 year old daughter and we both could not wait until it was "reading time" each night and we tended to drag our time over a little to just see what was going to happen NEXT! Because we HAD to know. I caught myself wanting to peak and read ahead when she went to sleep. So, yes it's really quite a good series of books if you like fantasy. Very enjoyable and highly recommended. ( )
  Clare_M | May 25, 2014 |
This is another book the Young Man and I are reading together. One thing that really stands out in the dialogue is the fact that all of the characters 'say' or 'said' things. The characters never exclaim or expound or or ask or shout or question anything. There is a lot of adventure in this book, which is great for reading out loud. You should read this book quickly after reading the other two. It does not go over all the details in the other books. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
For a final volume of a prequel series, this was exceptional. Lord Umbre was a great villain. It ended well. This series really took me for a ride. I'm going to begin listening to Sword of Mercy this week. Jim Dale is as important to the greatness of this series as Pearson and Barry though. It wouldn't be the same to read it as listening to Mr. Dale performing it. He's absolutely amazing. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link . ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ridley Pearsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barry, DaveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Call, GregIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob, Sophie, Paige and Storey: May you always have a little starstuff left.
The old man trudged along the dirt path, pulling his worn coat tighter to ward off the cold wind moaning across the Salisbury Plain.

In this action-packed finale to the Starcatchers series, Peter and Molly find themselves in the dangerous land of Rundoon, ruled by an evil king who enjoys watching his pet snake consume those who displease him. But that’s just the beginning of problems facing our heroes, who once again find themselves pitted against the evil shadow-creature Lord Ombra in a struggle to save themselves, not to mention the planet. It’s a wild desert adventure, with rockets, carpets, and camels all flying through the air, zooming toward an unforgettable climax...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Fearing that the sinister Lord Ombra was not destroyed, Peter and Molly travel to the land of Rundoon, which is ruled by the evil King Zarboff.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,841,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible