Hawaii by James A. Michener

Hawaii (1959)

by James A. Michener

Recently added byMLRALibrary, BookHavenAZ, eyelevelbooks, Geneva_1, xylaplas1, jpnygard, private library, agmlll
Legacy LibrariesMarilyn Monroe

5563. Hawaii, by James A. Michener (read 18 Jun 2018) This is the sixth Michener novel I have read and the first since I read his Chesapeake on 6 July 2000. It tells of the coming of Polynesians to Hawaii, then of the coming of New England missionaries in 1820, and of the coming of Japanese and Chinese and in typical Michener fashion tells of their descendants through the years, right up to 1954. probably the best part was the account of the Japanese-Americans fighting in Europe during World War Ii, which I think had some historical accuracy. The book was published in 1959 but does not tell of the attainment of statehood in 1959. The accounts of the voyages of the Tahitians and the missionaries are vivid and exciting, but there are lots of dull pages in the 1150 page novel. And though there are fictional characters who supposedly did brilliantly at Harvard Law I was underimpressed at the discussions of legal matters and of lawyers. The book is far too long and one less determined than I am to finish what I start would have quit long before the last page. Will I read anything more by Michener. I would say it is doubtful. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 18, 2018 |
I got 50 pages from the end and then packed it in. It's long. Really long. In fairness to Mr. Michener, I did like the most of the book but found the move into modern day Hawaii a little boring so I just quit. ( )
  blnq | Apr 20, 2018 |
I was able to get quite a bit of reading of this massive book while I was sick recently. Another epic novel based on the history of the Hawaiian Islands. From the beginning of the island formation, through 1953. A large cast of characters, many historical events regarding WWII and the labor strikes on the sugar plantations. (Paul say his dad, Wayne, loved this book!) ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 14, 2017 |
As with most Michener, I enjoy the beginning of the book but then get tired of the style. ( )
  Cygnus555 | Jul 14, 2017 |
Fictional account of several generations in Hawaii ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
Millions upon millions of years ago, when the continents were already formed and the principal features of the earth had been decided, there existed, then as now, one aspect of the world that dwarfed all others.

In Hawaii, Pulitzer Prize–winning author James Michener weaves the classic saga that brought Hawaii’s epic history vividly alive to the American public on its initial publication in 1959, and continues to mesmerize even today.

The volcanic processes by which the Hawaiian Islands grew from the ocean floor were inconceivably slow, and the land remained untouched by man for countless centuries until, little more than a thousand years ago, Polynesian seafarers made the perilous journey across the Pacific and discovered their new home. They lived and flourished in this tropical paradise according to their ancient traditions and beliefs until, in the early nineteenth century, American missionaries arrived, bringing a new creed and a new way of life to a Stone Age society. The impact of the missionaries had only begun to be absorbed when other national groups, with equally different customs, began to migrate in great numbers to the islands. The story of modern Hawaii, and of this novel, is one of how disparate peoples, struggling to keep their identity yet live with one another in harmony, ultimately joined together to build America’s strong and vital fiftieth state.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

This epic novel traces the origins and history of the islands of Hawaii, from their volcanic birth, through the first arrivals of humans from Polynesia, followed by European sailors and missionaries, then Chinese and Japanese laborers, to the modern blending of cultures.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,044,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible